Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

I think the team was originally named the Jets because of the following:

Originally headquartered in Winnipeg, which was also the site of the national maintenance base, the federal government moved the headquarters to Montreal in 1949; the maintenance base later also moved east. With the development of the ReserVec in 1953, TCA became the first airline in the world to use a computer reservation system with remote terminals.[10][11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada

The most widely accepted historical account of how the name 'Jets' came to be is because their founder, Ben Hatskin, liked how it sounded. The fact that Winnipeg had an association with the aviation industry probably didn't hurt, but I doubt they put as much thought into these things back then as they do now, especially in an outlaw league like the WHA where they had much bigger things to worry about.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally headquartered in Winnipeg, which was also the site of the national maintenance base, the federal government moved the headquarters to Montreal in 1949; the maintenance base later also moved east. With the development of the ReserVec in 1953, TCA became the first airline in the world to use a computer reservation system with remote terminals.[10][11]

The most widely accepted historical account of how the name 'Jets' came to be is because their founder, Ben Hatskin, liked how it sounded. The fact that Winnipeg had an association with the aviation industry probably didn't hurt, but I doubt they put as much thought into these things back then as they do now, especially in an outlaw league like the WHA where they had much bigger things to worry about.

Such as whether your check to Bobby Hull will clear.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You both are correct. It just strikes me as odd that, since Winnipeg's association with fighter jets is historical, the choice was made to include a current aircraft in the logo. I would be interested in hearing how they talked through all that amongst themselves.

Seems to me Bombardier might have manufactured passenger jetliners in Winnipeg as well, but I might be wrong about that. You may be right that Jets just sounded good at the time. Plus it fit with the aviation theme presented by the Winnipeg Blue BOMBERS...even though that team name also didn't really have its origins in aviation or the military.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Mason unveiled his mask today:

run_to_the_mask_jets_goalie_chris_masons_iron_maiden_tribute.jpg

It's inspired by an Iron Maiden album cover, "Aces High"

Can we take any hints from this as to where the jerseys actually go? Probably not much more than we thought. Navy, Light blue, and minimal red/silver.

Also in the Puck Daddy article for this, Chris Mason said that "if" the Jets wear a throwback to the old Jets, he has a special mask inspired by Bob Essensa. So who knows if Mason actually knows what's up or if he's just speculating a hypothetical.

Any thoughts?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Can we take any hints from this as to where the jerseys actually go? Probably not much more than we thought. Navy, Light blue, and minimal red/silver.

Also in the Puck Daddy article for this, Chris Mason said that "if" the Jets wear a throwback to the old Jets, he has a special mask inspired by Bob Essensa. So who knows if Mason actually knows what's up or if he's just speculating a hypothetical.

Any thoughts?

Well, its the first time I see a Jet fighter with a propeller in front... Sorry, I don't like it.

I do like the Iron Maiden reference though.

Any thoughts?

Well, its the first time I see a Jet fighter with a propeller in front... Sorry, I don't like it.

Ever hear of the Ryan Fireball?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Any thoughts?

Where do you see a propeller in front of the cockpit? I see the cockpit and that's all. Now, was the picture of Eddie in a WWII plane? Yes. Are the planes in the background prop driven planes? Yes. Does it mean that Eddie has to be in a prop driven plane? No. Will the average person at home know that Eddie's not in a jet plane? No.

What seem to be actual photos of the Chinese counterfeit concept Jets jersey have hit the internet: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/08/22/jersey-not-even-closeto-real-jets

And, once again, the team has denied that these are even close to the actual jersey design (they said the same thing when the concept that these Chinese knock-offs are based on was being passed around as a possible leak).

Still, that's some pretty nice embroidery work for a counterfeit and though it's definitely not an actual Jets jersey, I think it shows how nice the logos are going to look on the sweaters.

EA Sports' NHL 12 will ship without the new Jets unis. Apparently they just couldn't wait long enough to get them into the game.

The article doesn't say what the team will be wearing instead before the first downloadable update, though I'm guessing they'll just use whatever working unis they have for the team.

I guess they could always give them the old Jets uniforms, but I'd think that be a little disingenuous.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Any thoughts?

Thats one sweet lookin' helmet, but thats what I would expected one of his helmets to be.

His helmet he had while playing for my Blues was one of my favorite Goaltender helmets I've ever seen.

Actually, looking at it, I see some similarities, with the wings going up the jaw line part of the facemask.

chris-mason.jpg

I'm just surprised he didn't have the shield on the chin of the helmet like on his IIHF, St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators helmet

nhl_g_mason_580.jpg

mason(2).jpg

2043050vl19qK6.gif

EA Sports' NHL 12 will ship without the new Jets unis. Apparently they just couldn't wait long enough to get them into the game.

The article doesn't say what the team will be wearing

instead before the first downloadable update, though I'm guessing they'll just use whatever working unis they have for the team.

I guess they could always give them the old Jets uniforms, but I'd think that be a little disingenuous.

They could guesstimate the new Jets uniforms. It wouldn't be the first time. The first EA NHL game to feature the Thrashers had them in maroon, and if I remember correctly they had the Senators wearing red in their first video game appearance.

Archived