Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

Was this posted? There was an interesting piece on the new Jets' logo from the Winnipeg Review earlier this month...

http://www.thewinnipegreview.com/wp/2011/08/the-new-jets-logo-a-boardroom-and-a-bargain/

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was this posted? There was an interesting piece on the new Jets' logo from the Winnipeg Review earlier this month...

http://www.thewinnipegreview.com/wp/2011/08/the-new-jets-logo-a-boardroom-and-a-bargain/

BCMIKE from the comments section sums up my feelings on this article best.

Your piece is well written and and thoughtful. However, I can't help but think it's much to do about nothing.

It's kind of like saying the Detroit Red Wings are shilling for the auto industry or that the Chicago Blackhawks are glorifying the Mohawk Warrior Society. It's a reach.

Sometimes a Jet is just a Jet, and the logo draws more parallels with the 40's RCAF than the current Canadian Air Command.

But I guess if you can draw a romanticized view of world exploration from the 70's Jets logo, anything is possible.

EA Sports' NHL 12 will ship without the new Jets unis. Apparently they just couldn't wait long enough to get them into the game.

The article doesn't say what the team will be wearing

instead before the first downloadable update, though I'm guessing they'll just use whatever working unis they have for the team.

I guess they could always give them the old Jets uniforms, but I'd think that be a little disingenuous.

They could guesstimate the new Jets uniforms. It wouldn't be the first time. The first EA NHL game to feature the Thrashers had them in maroon, and if I remember correctly they had the Senators wearing red in their first video game appearance.

I thought the first EA NHL game with the Thrashers (NHL 2000?) had the Thrashers in the correct white sweaters, but the road sweaters were navy blue with a white yolk/sleeves and the main logo....instead of the navy jersey with the maroon yolk/sleeves and the T-bird logo.

Huh. Why do I remember a maroon Thrashers sweater in an EA game? Maybe I confused them with the Aves. Oh well. My mistake.

BCMIKE from the comments section sums up my feelings on this article best.

Your piece is well written and and thoughtful. However, I can't help but think it's much to do about nothing.

It's kind of like saying the Detroit Red Wings are shilling for the auto industry or that the Chicago Blackhawks are glorifying the Mohawk Warrior Society. It's a reach.

Sometimes a Jet is just a Jet, and the logo draws more parallels with the 40's RCAF than the current Canadian Air Command.

But I guess if you can draw a romanticized view of world exploration from the 70's Jets logo, anything is possible.

Brilliant.

Besides, military influences on sports team identities go beyond the new Winnipeg Jets logo package.

The Chicago Blackhawks are named after a WWI regiment, the Black Hawks, who were named after Chief Black Hawk, a Mohawk military leader.

The Toronto St. Pats were renamed the Maple Leafs because Con Symth, a sergeant in the Canadian Army in WWI, wanted a patriotic name. He based the first maple leaf logo off of the maple leaf cap badge worn by Canadian Army officers.

The Columbus Blue Jackets are named after Union soldiers from the Civil War, and their alternate logo features a Union soldier's cap, and their alternate sweater features a cannon.

The New England Patriots are named after Revolutionary War era soldiers fighting for American independence.

The Minnesota Vikings are named after a group of people who are most famous for pillaging.

The New Orleans Hornets took their name from an account from the Revolutionary War that North Carolina regiments shot bullets like hornets.

The Duke Blue Devils are named after an army regiment.

IF you consider military influences on sports identities to be a bad thing it goes far beyond the Winnipeg Jets.

From sportsnet.ca

The Winnipeg Sun reports that new Jets jerseys ? home and away, there won?t be a third jersey for at least the first season ? will be unveiled in early September, but won?t be available for purchase until weeks later.

?The authentic jerseys won?t be available until October, and replica jerseys likely not until November. That comes from the manufacturer,? said Scott Brown, director of communications for True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Jets.

Nevertheless, photos purporting to be leaks of the new Jets jerseys have been circulating on the Internet for weeks.

Brown said a common one showing a dark blue jersey with the main plane logo in the middle is ?not even close? to legitimate. The same goes for any other supposed sneak previews.

Bruno Delorme, a marketing professor at Concordia University and Marianopolis College in Montreal, said fake sports jerseys are a ?big time? problem.

?A lot of factories in China are flooding the market with unlicensed, counterfeit jerseys. They?re shrewd. They know that even in tough economic times, sports is recession-proof,? Delorme said. ?They look almost identical but the problems occur after you wash it four or five times.?

Delorme told the Sun counterfeit jerseys are a common problem that the Montreal Canadiens launched a public-education campaign.

The campaign, called Let?s Retire These Jerseys, warned fans that fakes ?may support unlawful labour conditions and organized crime,? and even offered people the chance to turn in counterfeit jerseys for a rebate on a real one.

Brown said it all comes down to fans making the right choice. ?Do you want it right now or do you want the right thing?? he said.

Also, as noted off the top, The Sun indicates the Winnipeg Jets will have only two uniforms this coming season: home and away.

Although it?s become common over the past several years for NHL and other pro sports teams to don third jerseys for some games, it doesn?t look like the Jets will follow suit, at least not this year.

?There will likely not be a third alternate jersey this year, just due to the process of getting the main two done,? said Brown. ?We?re going to hopefully focus on the main logos and the main jerseys.?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

It would have been nice if he'd posted the sides. I hope they aren't solid navy. Solid pants are such a copout.

Interesting item about EA Sports releasing NHL 12 without Winnipeg uniforms...Click Here!

Except your topic title says the opposite.

How so, in the article they talk about releasing the uniforms with a player updated patch. Why does everyone have to be so precise? LOL

spacer.png

It would have been nice if he'd posted the sides. I hope they aren't solid navy. Solid pants are such a copout.

Interesting item about EA Sports releasing NHL 12 without Winnipeg uniforms...Click Here!

How so, in the article they talk about releasing the uniforms with a player updated patch. Why does everyone have to be so precise? LOL

Your title says the game will be shipping WITH Winnipeg uniforms.

Your title says the game will be shipping WITH Winnipeg uniforms.

Fixed

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Archived