Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

On the Jets's NHL web site they have the slogan "fueled by passion." The "by" looks an awful lot like the HP logo to me.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the maple leaf for the roundel logo, but the others look forced to me. I don't get the whole "We're in Canada, we have to throw a maple leaf on everything" thinking lately.

Exactly who's doing that? There are exactly one other team that use a maple leaf in their logo. None of the 8 teams use a maple leaf in the CFL. One, now two of 7 teams in the NHL use a maple leaf,(the other team of course being called the Maple Leafs...duh). The Toronto Blue Jays and the Toronto Raptors do not use maple leafs. So who is slapping a maple leaf on everything?

Ya they just slap the maple leaf randomly on their jerseys instead...

No maple leaf on the Raptors' jerseys.

856eohuzlq2cguwltk80e2yx3.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This doesn't work for me. I think BrandNStudio said it better than I would on the last page, so I'll keep my criticism as simple as the logo: They should have just stuck a red jet in the middle of it and left the maple leaf out of it completely. It would have been simpler, but still inspired by the RCAF, with a better chance of being iconic. That beveled leaf just gets in the way everywhere. I think people want to love this - hence the several "it'll grow on you" posts - but I think they missed the mark.

P.S. The Blue Jays wear a red leaf on their black alt's sleeve and the Raptors had a TR with a leaf. Don't know if they still have it. And Calgary is NHL team No. 3 using the leaf, as stated in the other thread.

I get the American angst over McDonalds of Canada adding a maple leaf to the golden arches or the Toronto Blue Jays throwing a maple leaf on their sleeves when it doesn't match anything else in the team's identity. But complaining about the use of the maple leaf in a logo package that's paying homage to the Royal Canadian Air Force? That seems silly. This is a case where the leaf isn't forced.

You can pay homage without using everything. Isn't that the definition? I don't want to jump back and forth, but I just addressed a bit of this in the NHL megathread. I also mentioned above that a red jet would have worked just fine. They couldnt keep the RCAF logo you posted as-is because it's pretty much the Maple Leafs logo in red with a circle around it.

The leaf isn't forced? It's buried under a jet in one logo and is an apostrophe in another. The only place it works is the secondary and it's front and center there. No problem in a vacuum, but someone beat them to it.... about 85 years ago, if I remember correctly from the Lightning thread. They also added bevels to distance it. Forced. It's also in all three logos. Forced.

On a side note, you keep trying to make this about America vs. Canada and I didn't go there. Any angst I have is over a poorly designed logo. Stacked clipart. I made no mention of McDonald's or whatever else you are attributing to me. Someone claimed the Blue Jays don't use a leaf and they do. I don't care if Canadians team all use it. I just think it's poor design, especially when a team's entire identity in your league is just that.

Playing around with illustrator. Came up with this based on the official logo, the old and the Old Jets logo. One on the left would be the primary, right the shoulder patch.

jetsconceptlogos-1.gif

Jet is still plain, but a bit better. Not bad for just playing around for a few minutes.

EDIT: Working on Unis. I'll post full thing in concepts when I'm done.

These ring good, but not great as of now, but I'll try to withhold judgment until I see it on the sweaters.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The second logo looks much better without the leaf. That's my opinion, no google search picture or percentage calculation will change that.

Um, it's a picture of a RCAF pilate's wings. They use the leaf. It's to be expected that a logo emulating the wings would use the leaf.

It seems like Americans are all for an air force theme as long as no Canadian air force imagery is used. Even if the team is Canadian.

And I have no issue with Canada, just lazy logo design (and sense of entitlement, but thats not this thread).

It's lazy logo design to accurately emulate the subject matter your basing your identity on?

As for a sense if entitlement, you're way off base. I had no idea "passion for the game"="sense of entitlement."

As to CFBM, you seem to devote a little to much energy to telling me what I should be thinking ;)

Well, the logo does nothing for me. They generalized the name to the extreme with the primary, but it seems to be getting alot of love. The wordmark is a little better, atleast its got some sort of character.

I was dedinitely hoping for something better, but its not something im gunna lose sleep over.

I don't get the script but the main and alt are very solid. Very glad they did not redo the old logo...what's crazy is that I read the forums where everyone hates when teams do that but most of the custom logos for the jets were...rehash of the old stuff?...either way they made the right decision can never have too many people giving props to the men and women that protect their country no matter what country that is!

these logos are boring because they haven't been affected by any of the design trends. The benefit of that, is that in 20 years, nobody will be saying "it looks so 2011" like we say that logos are stuck in the 90s (see all of RHI). In 20 years, we'll still be saying "it's boring, but it works" rather than demanding it be changed and updated.

Look at how many of the great NHL logos are boring. Boring lasts, because boring doesn't have anybody screaming that it's ugly.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Look, at least it's not a smiling cartoon 747, like something out of Jay-Jay the Jet Plane.

This could have gone SO much worse.

Simple, clean, effective. Nothing wrong here.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I wonder to what extent you can approve of a logo just because it turned out to be much better then you feared it might have been, even if what you got wasn't all that good. Seems a decent enough logo to me, though. If I had to rate it I'd say 7/10.

Cookie cutter in an art form, for sure.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

BrandN already pointed out everything I hate about it, so I suppose I'm just posting to post at this point. This is not good. It looks like an initial post for a crappy concept here on the boards. There's nothing cohesive about this at all from a design standpoint. They had good ideas (except for the wordmark; there's nothing good there), but the execution is horrible.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The new primary logo made me think about a couple of other recent logos, that I kinda' sorta' look at in a comic bookish way. I don't mean to directly compare all these logos, so you don't have to pick apart the differences. I just mean, in a general sense, they remind me of comic book counterparts.

The Bolts and The Flash

Bolts.jpg

Flash.jpg

Thrashers 3rd wordmark and Comic book titles (Superman as an example)

Thrashers-1.jpg

superman_logos.jpg

Captain Winnipeg and Captain America (Unintentionally stoking the Canada/maple leaf vs. America/star debate)

NewJets.jpg

Cap.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

I really think the team is going to go with the lighter blue as a jersey. Think of all the RCAF Flyers images they've had, plus the secondary wordmark, it would not surprise me at all if instead of a navy home jersey, they went with the lighter blue.

Not to mention, those shirts gave it away with the Winter Classic, everybody knew the Pens were changing up the 67 jerseys to navy blue because there were a bunch of those, but no baby blue shirts

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Since they seem to be wanting to give this incarnation a new identity separate from the past do y'all think they will even put themselves through a buffaslug episode with any throwback games?...and begin an epic battle between the people that want the old and the people that want the new? I'm thinking that the only place we will see the main logo most will be at mid ice and jerseys, the other two will be used mostly on merchandise since they have more identifying characteristics...mainly the name!

Here are a couple fixes to make the primary more palatable:

- Put WINNIPEG JETS HOCKEY, in white, on the blue circle.

- Add a blue outline to the jet to make it stand out more against the leaf.

That wouldn't make it great but more visually interesting.

The secondary is class while the wordmarks are beyond repair.

Playing around with illustrator. Came up with this based on the official logo, the old and the Old Jets logo. One on the left would be the primary, right the shoulder patch.

jetsconceptlogos.gif

Jet is still plain, but a bit better. Not bad for just playing around for a few minutes.

EDIT: Working on Unis. I'll post full thing in concepts when I'm done.

I think you've definitely got the right idea with the first logo.

Hell, they could keep the roundel as is and just enlarge the jet to be overlapping and extending past the roundel and it'd be 100x better than what they have now.

I get the RCAF imagery, but I think the team's namesake, the actual JET, gets lost in the entire package. Give this thing some more JET and I'd live with it. Right now it all seems kind of downsized, especially with the weight/thickness of the roundel.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived