Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

The first thing that draws my eye is not really elemental to the logo at all, and thus creates a diversion to what is not TOO bad of a logo in my opinion. The triangular white "notch" above the top of the plane nose is tremendously distracting. It wouldn't have been tough to shrink the plane about 5% and NOT notch the circle.

15373862-e97.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing that draws my eye is not really elemental to the logo at all, and thus creates a diversion to what is not TOO bad of a logo in my opinion. The triangular white "notch" above the top of the plane nose is tremendously distracting. It wouldn't have been tough to shrink the plane about 5% and NOT notch the circle.

15373862-e97.jpg

I agree. This is the first thing that the eye is drawn to, which is a shame. It's distracting.

Seeing it on their actual NHL site, it is an absolute joke. It looks so unprofessional it isn't even funny. A lot of people here could have made that logo in a matter of minutes. Sad thing is, they will sell a massive amount of merchandise and think that they did a good job.

The idea is alright, execution, horrific.

Is the light blue supposed to be in homage to the Atlanta Thrashers? The blues almost seem spot-on.

Agreed. It is fine as a secondary, but isn't strong enough to be the primary especially in comparison to the other league logos. The jet itself in the logo doesn't stand out enough to be immediately identifiable at the logo for a team named the Jets. Without the jet standing out on its own there is little to tie to the team or Winnipeg. It ends up looking like a generic logo that a casual person would have a hard time what it is for.

Given the logo history of both the NY Jets and the old/new Winnipeg Jets, a team name of the Jets is actually a pretty challenging to have a good logo for without any script. Might explain why for both teams the logo history is basically "JETS" spelled out.

I like the main logo. I also like the "notch" pointing north because it looks like the heading bug of a heading indicator vacuum gauge on a typical aircraft panel. I think the best logos in the league are the must understated: leafs, rangers, bruins (old logo - new one is too complicated), canadiens. To me, this main logo is understated like those.

I also like the secondary logo....I look forward to when the jerseys are available.

If I'm right, the light blue is another air force homage, as I know the RAF and Australian AF use similar blues.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Is that supposed to be Andrew Toews or Jonathan Ladd?

Clearly it IS Toewser but I gave the uni Captain Ladd's number. Plus you can't beat Toewser's 'O' face...

Also, as a hawks fan, I miss Ladd a lot more than i thought I would.

I'm sure Winnipeg would be more than happy to swap captains, to bring their native son home.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

I like that too, except it shouldn't be nosediving.

Haha, yeah, I thought about that but If you put the plane at the top of the pants (A.) the jersey will fall over it and (B.) it wont be visible on my template.

That's true, and I thought about that too. Maybe it could just go up 1/2-3/4 of the way?

I get the maple leaf for the roundel logo, but the others look forced to me. I don't get the whole "We're in Canada, we have to throw a maple leaf on everything" thinking lately.

The maple leaf isn't as widespread as you may think it is. Given the air force them they're going with, it works.

The problem with this "research" comparing the relative use of the Maple Leaf to that of the Star is that the data aren't equally weighted. It's as if one said that City A, with 35 petty thefts, had the same crime rate as City B, with 35 multiple homicides, simply because they both had 35 crimes. Obviously, one is different from the other, and simple adding of figures doesn't tell the true story. One has to consider the weight behind each piece of data being considered. In this case, one piece of imagery, the Star, has many more connotations representing a world's worth of various histories associated with it. In contrast, the Maple Leaf tends to have one single connotation, that of the nation of Canada, associated with its use.

As a test, consider the following symbols (treat it as if it were a Rorschach test):

What is your first association with this image?

leaf.png

Now, by contrast, what is your first association with this image?

star.png

While the answer to the second question may have been "The United States of America", anyone with a brain would be forced to admit that it's more likely that the answer to the first question was "Canada". The symbols aren't equally weighted. The Maple Leaf simply has more connotative baggage built into it than does the Star. Thus (everything else being equal) it's a more flimsy design element association than is a star.

A star on a sports uniform is usually not a symbol of America unless there is an explicit reference to it. In general it represents the "all star" athletes. It is really a symbol for athletics.

I get the maple leaf for the roundel logo, but the others look forced to me. I don't get the whole "We're in Canada, we have to throw a maple leaf on everything" thinking lately.

The maple leaf isn't as widespread as you may think it is. Given the air force them they're going with, it works.

The problem with this "research" comparing the relative use of the Maple Leaf to that of the Star is that the data aren't equally weighted. It's as if one said that City A, with 35 petty thefts, had the same crime rate as City B, with 35 multiple homicides, simply because they both had 35 crimes. Obviously, one is different from the other, and simple adding of figures doesn't tell the true story. One has to consider the weight behind each piece of data being considered. In this case, one piece of imagery, the Star, has many more connotations representing a world's worth of various histories associated with it. In contrast, the Maple Leaf tends to have one single connotation, that of the nation of Canada, associated with its use.

As a test, consider the following symbols (treat it as if it were a Rorschach test):

What is your first association with this image?

leaf.png

Now, by contrast, what is your first association with this image?

star.png

While the answer to the second question may have been "The United States of America", anyone with a brain would be forced to admit that it's more likely that the answer to the first question was "Canada". The symbols aren't equally weighted. The Maple Leaf simply has more connotative baggage built into it than does the Star. Thus (everything else being equal) it's a more flimsy design element association than is a star.

A star on a sports uniform is usually not a symbol of America unless there is an explicit reference to it. In general it represents the "all star" athletes. It is really a symbol for athletics.

Plus don't forget the celestial interpretation of a star:

Green%201972%20jersey.jpgastros.jpg

Well in two days, they sold $200,000 worth of merchandise at the team store in Winnipeg, so if nothing else, the citizens like it. Unsure if that number includes the $80 I dropped at River City Sports or not.

Apparently there are only limited men's sizes remaining, the store is opening today until they're all gone.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived