Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

Well in two days, they sold $200,000 worth of merchandise at the team store in Winnipeg, so if nothing else, the citizens like it. Unsure if that number includes the $80 I dropped at River City Sports or not.

Apparently there are only limited men's sizes remaining, the store is opening today until they're all gone.

Really, we can bitch all we want about this logo, but this is really all that matters.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not bitching. I like it.

But then again, i'm not a knee-jerk reactionary numbnut...

Knee jerk reactionary, maybe not. Numbnut.....not so sure :P

I'm not a fan of it, it could be better, but I'm not the one buying the merchandise.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

i just keep waiting for them to be like "fooled you, here is our actual logo, suck it counter fitters, bet you didnt see that one coming"

then i realize they truly think this brand is genius and are completely oblivious

A star on a sports uniform is usually not a symbol of America unless there is an explicit reference to it. In general it represents the "all star" athletes.

Heck, in American professional sports, a star is more likely to represent Texas than the country as a whole.

I just don't get the obsession with the leaf. Isn't this a lot cleaner without infringing on Toronto's identity:

WJPLfix_2.jpg

More on that here.

1) The leaf is the central emblem of the RCAF's roundel, the basis for the primary.

2) According to Mark Chipman, CEO of TNSE (the group that owns the Jets) they received permission from the Maple Leafs to use the leaf.

Not that they should have to, I mean does any other team have to get permission from the Stars to put stars on their jerseys/logos?

1) The leaf is the central emblem of the RCAF's roundel, the basis for the primary.

2) According to Mark Chipman, CEO of TNSE (the group that owns the Jets) they received permission from the Maple Leafs to use the leaf.

1) I get that but that doesn't mean you HAVE to use the leaf and/or use it in all the logos and wordmarks.

2) I know this but doesn't the fact that they felt they had to ask show that, "hey, maybe we're too close to Toronto's identity..."?

1) I get that but that doesn't mean you HAVE to use the leaf and/or use it in all the logos and wordmark.

2) I know this but doesn't the fact that they felt they had to ask show that, "hey, maybe we're too close to Toronto's identity..."?

If you're going to emulate something for your logo you want to keep it's central emblem intact so as many people recognize the connection as possible.

As to the leaf infringing on Toronto's identity, I don't see it. It's no more similar to the Leafs' mark then the Blue Jackets' logo is to the Stars' logo.

If you're going to emulate something for your logo you want to keep it's central emblem intact so as many people recognize the connection as possible.

As to the leaf infringing on Toronto's identity, I don't see it. It's no more similar to the Leafs' mark then the Blue Jackets' logo is to the Stars' logo.

IDK, to me (and that means this is only my opinion) the five point star isn't as unilaterally "America" as the maple leaf is "Canada". Now, had both the Stars and Blue Jackets (who have a fairly weak logo) both used a six point star, I would cry "copycat". But the five point star is so universal, it's like if multiple teams used basketballs in their logos. haha

Of course the star doesn't say "America" like the leaf does "Canada." I never said that.

What I did say is that the Jets' logo is no more a ripoff of the Leafs' logo then the Blue Jackets' logo is a ripoff of the Stars no. No nationalism involved. Just a statement of observation concerning two sets of logos, each set focusing on a particular design element.

Well in two days, they sold $200,000 worth of merchandise at the team store in Winnipeg, so if nothing else, the citizens like it. Unsure if that number includes the $80 I dropped at River City Sports or not.

Apparently there are only limited men's sizes remaining, the store is opening today until they're all gone.

I think they would have sold $200,000 worth of merchandise with any logo that wasn't a complete debacle (which this isn't). Pretty sure the thinking is "We just got an NHL team! Woo!"

As a non-Winnipeg fan, I like the new logo....enough. Some of the fan mock-ups (especially the one that won Paul Lukas' web poll) were way cooler. I wonder if people in Winnipeg were hoping for something cooler.

Their primary looks more like a shoulder logo. It's so simple that I don't know how great it's going to look as a giant crest sewn onto a hockey sweater. Hockey logos are different from logos in football or baseball in that they're very large on the uniform and can be complicated (e.g. Blackhawks).

Their primary looks more like a shoulder logo. It's so simple that I don't know how great it's going to look as a giant crest sewn onto a hockey sweater. Hockey logos are different from logos in football or baseball in that they're very large on the uniform and can be complicated (e.g. Blackhawks).

I was thinking that the other day when I was doing my mock ups. I just hope they chain stitch the crest so it at least has some depth and character to it.

At least its easy to recreate in COD.

11-1.jpg?t=1311436163

Problem: Canada never flew F-4s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Haven't we established by now that sports merchandise sales on the whole are not tied to how a logo or uniform looks or how popular a design itself is. For example the Buffaslug was hated by Sabres' fans went the merchandise still sold like hot cakes. People want to emulate what their team is wearing no matter how ugly it is.

Given the 15 years Winnipeg fans didn't have a team True North could have unveiled a pink and purple mspaint drawn logo and it would still sell there. Simply because of the excitement of having a team back and the excitement of supporting said team.

But see, the thing that's cool about it is that the leaf becomes the jet. That way, it's not just the roundel with a plane grafted above it but rather just inspired by it. It's not a logo for all of Canada, it's a logo for the Winnipeg Jets. "It's like the Air Force, but instead of a maple leaf, there's a jet, because they're the Jets." Simple.

I don't care if they got permission from the Maple Leafs. They shouldn't have asked for it, shouldn't have had to ask for it, shouldn't have been in the conversation. Enough with the leaf.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Given the 15 years Winnipeg fans didn't have a team True North could have unveiled a pink and purple mspaint drawn logo and it would still sell there. Simply because of the excitement of having a team back and the excitement of supporting said team.

wyomings.jpg

Like that? It's even got a W. It's so deep and symbolic. :D

Archived