Michegan Helmet

16kid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It stands for "I wasn't smart enough to get into a real college"

It's only the best public college in the country.

thats debatable

The best is debatable but it is easily a top 25 public school. Most publications have them in their top 10. Damn sure not a clown college.

o i agree its one of the best, im just not sure that its THE best

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gee, where are the SEC schools on the top academic rankings? Other than Florida, pretty much you have to get down to the level with Northern Michigan, Indiana State and Minnesota-Mankato before you start seeing SEC schools.

Does Vanderbilt ring a bell?

Yes, and their reputation is built almost entirely around how they're nothing like the other SEC schools. Honestly, I'm surprised to see the SEC schools ranked as high as they are. Somehow, I don't see too many people from outside the deep south looking to go to places like Mississippi and Arkansas to advance their academic career.

While the direction this thread has taken is not something I want to encourage, this statement is hilarious coming from a Sparty. Do you guys get your own admissions letters yet, or is the Michigan rejection letter still sent in with your deposit?

Hall of Fame zing right here. I don't know if that's a running joke in MI, but if not and you thought of that line I truly applaud you.

90758391980.gif

While these rankings are great, I find them to be a bit on the misleading side. I don't care where a school is ranked if it doesn't have my major. If the #1-#50 schools on these rankings have horrible programs in my major and the school ranked #109 has the best program in the country in my major, I'm skipping all 108 schools ranked before the school that has the best program in my major by people in the career that I'm going into. Many of these top schools don't have the program you are looking for, so these rankings mean diddly squat. I want rankings based on programs and majors, not this fluff that USA Today or whatever puts out just to say, "Hey look at me!" These rankings to me are like the "Top 100 best/worst uniforms."

While these rankings are great, I find them to be a bit on the misleading side. I don't care where a school is ranked if it doesn't have my major. If the #1-#50 schools on these rankings have horrible programs in my major and the school ranked #109 has the best program in the country in my major, I'm skipping all 108 schools ranked before the school that has the best program in my major by people in the career that I'm going into. Many of these top schools don't have the program you are looking for, so these rankings mean diddly squat. I want rankings based on programs and majors, not this fluff that USA Today or whatever puts out just to say, "Hey look at me!" These rankings to me are like the "Top 100 best/worst uniforms."

I agree. These lists are biased towards older schools with entrenched histories and reputations. My school is never ranked on these lists, yet we have one of the best architecture programs in the world, one of the best performing arts schools in the Midwest (if not the entire US) and a lot of relatively new majors that are only offered by a few schools anywhere in the country. But because the programs that every school offers are (predictably) full of rejects from more well-known schools, we get lumped in with a bunch of commuter schools that have no such stand-out programs.

I may be biased, but the University of Georgia is a pretty good academic school.

UGa's not even the best school in Georgia.

While true, they're both pretty good academic wise.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

To get back on topic, the helmet design was created based on the Wing-T offense that Michigan used to run. It was then adopted by other schools who ran the Wing-T offense like Deleware

um.... no. The guy earlier in the thread nailed it on the head when he said the bit about Fritz Crisler. That guy was brilliant and was waaaaay ahead of his time.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

SYRACUSE ACADEMICALLY RUNS THE BIG EAST FOOTBALL CONFERENCE MOTHA :censored:AS!!!1 /academic talk (and yes I know Syracuse is ranked like, 56th or something. Thank you Chancy Nancy accepting everyone at the Arts and Science school when Newhouse is as hard as Harvard to get into... /Newhouse elitest mode)

I find it funny though how I brought up the Michigan helmet deal and how nobody's brought that up in a while in the Northwestern Stripes thread and, well, look what happens a day later :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

SYRACUSE ACADEMICALLY RUNS THE BIG EAST FOOTBALL CONFERENCE MOTHA :censored:AS!!!1 /academic talk (and yes I know Syracuse is ranked like, 56th or something. Thank you Chancy Nancy accepting everyone at the Arts and Science school when Newhouse is as hard as Harvard to get into... /Newhouse elitest mode)

I find it funny though how I brought up the Michigan helmet deal and how nobody's brought that up in a while in the Northwestern Stripes thread and, well, look what happens a day later :P

Probably because they weren't relevant in that thread. Actually, I'm still not sure why people are talking about Michigan's helmet when the original poster wanted to talk about Michegan. I would actually love to see Michegan's helmets. Does anyone have a pic of them, their colors, nickname, and what conference they are in? :P

Gee, where are the SEC schools on the top academic rankings? Other than Florida, pretty much you have to get down to the level with Northern Michigan, Indiana State and Minnesota-Mankato before you start seeing SEC schools.

Does Vanderbilt ring a bell?

Yes, and their reputation is built almost entirely around how they're nothing like the other SEC schools. Honestly, I'm surprised to see the SEC schools ranked as high as they are. Somehow, I don't see too many people from outside the deep south looking to go to places like Mississippi and Arkansas to advance their academic career.

My sister's going to Auburn (hence me becoming an Auburn fan in the realm of NCAA sports).

To get back on topic, the helmet design was created based on the Wing-T offense that Michigan used to run. It was then adopted by other schools who ran the Wing-T offense like Deleware

Nope. Not even close. Fritz Crisler came up with the design at Princeton (the first team to wear it) and brought it to Michigan afterwards.

Probably because they weren't relevant in that thread. Actually, I'm still not sure why people are talking about Michigan's helmet when the original poster wanted to talk about Michegan. I would actually love to see Michegan's helmets. Does anyone have a pic of them, their colors, nickname, and what conference they are in? :P

I knew it wasn't relevant to the thread, but I noticed how nobody brought it up in ages like it usually does on this forum. And, well, voila! ^_^

And yeah, the Michegan Boulder-rines have both the webbed helmet and northwestern stripes :P

And while we're on the topic, how did Delaware end up with the webbed helmet? I think I read somewhere they hired some Michigan player as a coach and he brought the design with him. Though I think they would be better off doing a yellow helmet with the blue web considering how similar it looks to Michigan

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

While the direction this thread has taken is not something I want to encourage, this statement is hilarious coming from a Sparty. Do you guys get your own admissions letters yet, or is the Michigan rejection letter still sent in with your deposit?

Hall of Fame zing right here. I don't know if that's a running joke in MI, but if not and you thought of that line I truly applaud you.

Yes, that is a running joke in Michigan, and pretty funny, too, on its own. Unfortunatly, its usually told by Walmart Wolverines who weren't smart enough to get into either school, so I would guess if you're a Spartan, the sting goes away rather quick.

um.... no. The guy earlier in the thread nailed it on the head when he said the bit about Fritz Crisler. That guy was brilliant and was waaaaay ahead of his time.

Actually he got it wrong. Yes fritz Crisler did create the helmet but it was based of the Wing-T offense. Thats why the helmet is actually called the winged helmet. I have done research on this style of helmet because my High School used that helmet decal and I wanted to understand why. My High School used that decal because back in the 1940's our school ran the Wing-T offense and since we ran the Wing-T offense we used the Winged helmet decal. Since we still run that offense thats why we use that decal.

raiders-2.png

Actually he got it wrong. Yes fritz Crisler did create the helmet but it was based of the Wing-T offense. Thats why the helmet is actually called the winged helmet. I have done research on this style of helmet because my High School used that helmet decal and I wanted to understand why. My High School used that decal because back in the 1940's our school ran the Wing-T offense and since we ran the Wing-T offense we used the Winged helmet decal. Since we still run that offense thats why we use that decal.

No. The design predates Michigan wearing it. It was just the painted representation of a particular style of leather helmet. Lots of teams painted the wing pieces on their leather helmets to make them stand out... including at one time, Michigan State. I've got a leather helmet in my office from the 30's... it got a "michigan wing" on it in maroon an black. Princeton was wearing the design Crisler was there, and he brought it to Michigan. If somebody has the time and a photobucket account, they can post about 2 dozen examples of a pre-Michigan winger helmet.

IDn the meantime, check out this eyeopener....

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/michigan-state-football-jersey-helmet/winged-helmet/

Archived