Michegan Helmet

16kid

It stands for "I wasn't smart enough to get into a real college"

It's only the best public college in the country.

thats debatable

Technically I think Cal-Berkley still is, but Michigan is usually right behind it. You're splitting hairs at that point though. I'm just glad my University of Florida makes the list for top public schools as well =). Go Gators!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

To get back on topic, the helmet design was created based on the Wing-T offense that Michigan used to run. It was then adopted by other schools who ran the Wing-T offense like Deleware

um.... no. The guy earlier in the thread nailed it on the head when he said the bit about Fritz Crisler. That guy was brilliant and was waaaaay ahead of his time.

Actually he got it wrong. Yes fritz Crisler did create the helmet but it was based of the Wing-T offense. Thats why the helmet is actually called the winged helmet. I have done research on this style of helmet because my High School used that helmet decal and I wanted to understand why. My High School used that decal because back in the 1940's our school ran the Wing-T offense and since we ran the Wing-T offense we used the Winged helmet decal. Since we still run that offense thats why we use that decal.

No. The design predates Michigan wearing it. It was just the painted representation of a particular style of leather helmet. Lots of teams painted the wing pieces on their leather helmets to make them stand out... including at one time, Michigan State. I've got a leather helmet in my office from the 30's... it got a "michigan wing" on it in maroon an black. Princeton was wearing the design Crisler was there, and he brought it to Michigan. If somebody has the time and a photobucket account, they can post about 2 dozen examples of a pre-Michigan winger helmet.

IDn the meantime, check out this eyeopener....

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/michigan-state-football-jersey-helmet/winged-helmet/

Wow thank you for filling me in with the correct information!!!

raiders-2.png

Look at the old helmets and you will see why it looks the way it looks. It was a separate piece of diiferent colored leather, but on the same helmet everyone else used.

Also for :censored: sake can someone fix the spelling of Michigan? How in the hell do you mess that up?

The wing part is actually meant to relicate the brow colouring of an actual wolverine:

http://www.animals-zone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Wolverine-2.jpg

Sigh.

No, it isn't.

You sound like you know something I don't. Could you please send me a link proving thats not what the brow or wings or whatever you want to call them are supposed to be. Thanks.

There have been multiple posts pointing out that the provenance of the winged helmet design actually comes from the Princeton Tigers, does not replicate wolverine striping, and that it was simply a different coloring for one leather helmet panel.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hmm, interesting. Guess I'll have to do a little digging, as it doesn't look like you can provide me with anything definitive. I like a good mystery though. :)

The brow still doesn't look like a tiger to me...looks much more like a wolverine's brow. But that explains why the Princeton Tigers and the Wolverines have the same helmet design. Always wondered about that.

You don't know how to comprehend the written language do you? It was part of the leather helmet that they used a different color leather for. Its a coincidence that it looks like a wolverines brow, hence why Princeton was the first to use it.

Hmm, interesting. Guess I'll have to do a little digging, as it doesn't look like you can provide me with anything definitive. I like a good mystery though. :)

The brow still doesn't look like a tiger to me...looks much more like a wolverine's brow. But that explains why the Princeton Tigers and the Wolverines have the same helmet design. Always wondered about that.

Let me help you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's no mystery.

http://www.mgoblue.com/genrel/072009aaa.html

Even Michigan admits the design was used at Princeton first.

Archived