Phillies 1980's Retro Night

Cityofphilly91

The Phillies hosted a Turn back the clock night the other day on July 22nd vs. the Sand Diego Padres. Both teams donned unis worn from the 1984 season. I love turn back the clock night and I'm not going to go over the edge if theyre arent replicated perfectly, however theres a couple things that najestic does that I'm not a huge fan of (some of you will already know where I'm headed...I hope lol).

Ok I have some pictures hear that I took from my tv (unfort i didnt get to go but oh well) that will give you some good ideas of what I will descripe.

Now the both teams replicated their jerseys very well, I'd give em a 9. Being a die-hard phillies fan I really took note of how well they did or didnt replicate parts of the uni. Ok so the Phillies wore their white with those awesom maroon stripes going down the sleeves, side panel, and pants ( i wish teams would bring this back)and the "P" without the baseball stitching in the center and also included their Independence Hall patch with their old script going across it (whoo hoo majestic and the phils didnt chince out here lol), that adds a really nice touch imo as I'm a huge fan of patches: Heres a slideshow from the phillies website (go to photo 8 and youll see the patch, sorry its hard to see but there werent many good pics of it):

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=22151966&c_id=mlb&imgId=8

Phillies retro helmet (imo its too dark vs the original but its watever) 80sretronightphillies7.jpg

Original mikeschmidt80shelmet.jpg

Full view of the Phillies unis (Jimmy Rollins) 80sretronightphillies6.jpg

Padres Ray Kroc patch 80sretronightphillies5.jpg

"P" on phils hat is 3D and a litte too big, cant they just wear the normal "P" lol it looks like a fashion hat from Lids, but its nothing major) 80sretronightphillies3.jpg

Padres retro helmet, to me these look dead on 80sretronightphillies2.jpg

Full views of both jerseys in action 80sretronightphillies.jpg

Last one, my favorite, when each player is photoshoped to look like an 80s star they somewhat resemble lol, Jimmy Rollins as prince in purple rain :P80sretronightphillies4.jpg

Wish I wouldve taken more but from I remember Chase Utley was the Terminator, and Ryan Howard was Bill Cosby hahahha lol.

Hope you enjoy these and comment on what you think of the majestics replication.

We've covered this many times on this board, but the official shade of Phillies' Maroon was this:

PhiadelphiaPhilliesMaroon_1991_SOL_SRGB.png

Due to inferior dyes, and the effects of the sun and repeated washings tended to fade the color.

So, the throwbacks are the intended color, if not what they seemed to be wearing back in the day.

I agree with what you're saying, Werx, but he has a point about the helmets. The actual helmets pictured from that era were not subject to fading, especially the insides, but the ones the players were wearing in the throwback game looked noticeably darker. See the photos in the other thread for a clearer view.

To be fair, the actual 1980s helmet pictured above looks lighter than the color swatch you posted, but the throwbacks from the other night look darker. They look darker than the caps the Phillies wore, as well.

I agree with what you're saying, Werx, but he has a point about the helmets. The actual helmets pictured from that era were not subject to fading, especially the insides, but the ones the players were wearing in the throwback game looked noticeably darker. See the photos in the other thread for a clearer view.

To be fair, the actual 1980s helmet pictured above looks lighter than the color swatch you posted, but the throwbacks from the other night look darker. They look darker than the caps the Phillies wore, as well.

And all of these differences can easily be explained due to photography, lighting, etc.

As was mentioned in the other thread, there were several issues with the Phillies throwback uniforms.

1. The jerseys should have been zipper front, not button placket.

2. The pinstripes should have been red.

3. The NOB should have been vertically arched.

4. The cap logo looked like a literal translation of the "official" P, when in reality, it was much thinner and subject to variances.

A button-front maroon-pinstriped jersey with a radially-arched NOB should have had the swirl P logo on the chest instead of the open P - but then it would be a post '86 set and not '84.

Also, the helmets seemed to get noticeably darker when they updated in the late '80s. It doesn't matter if the "official" specs didn't change, we all know that they're not always accurate. It could be that the color should always have been that dark, and the lighter ones that we've seen were just do to shoddy painting variances, but they really did seem to be darker near the end.

I really think that the "midnight maroon" is too dark of a color, and more of a Redskins maroon / burgundy would work the best.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it's just "one of those shades" that is very difficult to reproduce consistently on different materials, and changes appearance very obviously in different lighting. These pictures from 1988 and 1990 respectively seem to confirm the Redskin shade (helmet at least), though Dkystra's jersey appears to be a little darker (could totally be an optical illusion though.) The cap from underneath Bradley's helmet looks like a whole other color, even if it's not supposed to be. I have an cap from that era (actually purchased in '89, not a modern retro cap) that is much darker. I've also seen cards from the early '80s where the helmet appears red (I actually have a replica helmet from that era that is red, and Darren Daulton used to wear a red helmet under his mask in '86 or '87.)

It's funny that even when they eliminated red (the stripes in the Bradley picture seem to be maroon, and trust me - he's wearing a swirl P) they kept it in their logo.

It's just goofy, I tell ya.

philadelphia-phillies-phil-bradley-369-donruss-1989-mlb-baseball-trading-card-39301-p.jpglenny-dykstra_display_image.jpg?1298317375

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And all of these differences can easily be explained due to photography, lighting, etc.

Yea you guys both make very good points, and werx the lightning must play a factor especially when the photo quality was much different in those times as well, however if you watch any old games like the 1980 world series, lets say its being replayed on the MLB network, youll notice the helmets are a bit lighter and almost a purpleish burgundy, whereas the throwback night ones look so dark that they almost look like a brown burgandy (however pics from tv's never have the greatest lighting).

As was mentioned in the other thread, there were several issues with the Phillies throwback uniforms.

4. The cap logo looked like a literal translation of the "official" P, when in reality, it was much thinner and subject to variances.

A button-front maroon-pinstriped jersey with a radially-arched NOB should have had the swirl P logo on the chest instead of the open P - but then it would be a post '86 set and not '84.

Also, the helmets seemed to get noticeably darker when they updated in the late '80s. It doesn't matter if the "official" specs didn't change, we all know that they're not always accurate. It could be that the color should always have been that dark, and the lighter ones that we've seen were just do to shoddy painting variances, but they really did seem to be darker near the end.

I really think that the "midnight maroon" is too dark of a color, and more of a Redskins maroon / burgundy would work the best.

Yea i hate how majestic never uses the zipper downs, they imo looked so much nicer, and the names were arched more originally. I like the baseball swirl "P" better but like you said it was after '85. I like the lighter burgandy as well and hope we use it for next years retro night. Who knows maybe we'll wear the 93 world series jerseys with the bad luck blue helmets lol Yea right that would be a mistake. I'm hopin we go with the all swirl uni, swirl hat without that stupid biga$$ 3D logo, swirl "P" and the centennial patch with our most memorable "P's" circling the diamond, it looks really nice imo and is my fav throwback 2nd to the powder blue zip ups.

Yea i hate how majestic never uses the zipper downs, they imo looked so much nicer, and the names were arched more originally. I like the baseball swirl "P" better but like you said it was after '85. I like the lighter burgandy as well and hope we use it for next years retro night. Who knows maybe we'll wear the 93 world series jerseys with the bad luck blue helmets lol Yea right that would be a mistake. I'm hopin we go with the all swirl uni, swirl hat without that stupid biga$ 3D logo, swirl "P" and the centennial patch with our most memorable "P's" circling the diamond, it looks really nice imo and is my fav throwback 2nd to the powder blue zip ups.

1. Who knows if there will even be a "retro night" next year, considering this is the first one (I think) in the 8 years at CPB?

2. The blue helmets were in '94, NOT '93. The differences between the '93 set and the current set are negligible even by freaks like most of us on here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one who could instantly point them out.

3. Majestic doesn't have to make the throwbacks - there are other vendors who are allowed to do it - and some have used zippers. The Braves throwbacks from earlier this season had zippers.

I know this is the "Players Choice Signature Series Jersey" but i would love to see this as a Alt. Jersey

SRauuuuuul29shirt.jpg

More like the primary road jersey and if the P was fat enough I would love to see the Phillies remake the 80s uni with the current P.

As for the Padres...

ARE U SEEING THIS MLB THE SHOW!! =)

I know this is the "Players Choice Signature Series Jersey" but i would love to see this as a Alt. Jersey

SRauuuuuul29shirt.jpg

More like the primary road jersey and if the P was fat enough I would love to see the Phillies remake the 80s uni with the current P.

As for the Padres...

ok primary road jersey, but i dont want just a P on it, i want the whole phillies word on it just how it is here, wonder what it would look like in Red and not Maroon

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

I'm not really a Phillies fan, but I always really liked their old "P" logo, the way it formed sort of a faux baseball. Was one of my favorite standalone logos of any team. I even liked the gigantic version they wore on their old jerseys.

SRauuuuuul29shirt.jpg

As for the Padres...

ok primary road jersey, but i dont want just a P on it, i want the whole phillies word on it just how it is here, wonder what it would look like in Red and not Maroon

What meant about the P was the home uni but I do like your idea!

Archived