Phillies 1980's Retro Night

Cityofphilly91

Wish they would bring back these unis permanently; I known the red, white blue goes with the importance philadelphia had with the history of our nations' independence, but I think maroon and white, with the Columbia Blue road unis were so cool!!

• 2 weeks later...

As was mentioned in the other thread, there were several issues with the Phillies throwback uniforms.

1. The jerseys should have been zipper front, not button placket.

2. The pinstripes should have been red.

3. The NOB should have been vertically arched.

4. The cap logo looked like a literal translation of the "official" P, when in reality, it was much thinner and subject to variances.

A button-front maroon-pinstriped jersey with a radially-arched NOB should have had the swirl P logo on the chest instead of the open P - but then it would be a post '86 set and not '84.

Also, the helmets seemed to get noticeably darker when they updated in the late '80s. It doesn't matter if the "official" specs didn't change, we all know that they're not always accurate. It could be that the color should always have been that dark, and the lighter ones that we've seen were just do to shoddy painting variances, but they really did seem to be darker near the end.

I really think that the "midnight maroon" is too dark of a color, and more of a Redskins maroon / burgundy would work the best.

Yea i hate how majestic never uses the zipper downs, they imo looked so much nicer, and the names were arched more originally. I like the baseball swirl "P" better but like you said it was after '85. I like the lighter burgandy as well and hope we use it for next years retro night. Who knows maybe we'll wear the 93 world series jerseys with the bad luck blue helmets lol Yea right that would be a mistake. I'm hopin we go with the all swirl uni, swirl hat without that stupid big 3D logo, swirl "P" and the centennial patch with our most memorable "P's" circling the diamond, it looks really nice imo and is my fav throwback 2nd to the powder blue zip ups.

1. Who knows if there will even be a "retro night" next year, considering this is the first one (I think) in the 8 years at CPB?

2. The blue helmets were in '94, NOT '93. The differences between the '93 set and the current set are negligible even by freaks like most of us on here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one who could instantly point them out.

3. Majestic doesn't have to make the throwbacks - there are other vendors who are allowed to do it - and some have used zippers. The Braves throwbacks from earlier this season had zippers.

well i was 3 in 94 so thats why i got the dates wrong lol but i was wondering why we wouldnt just allow mitchell and ness to make the zipper ups for us. probly expensive i mean they are just $250-300 for the public but theyd probly work that out differently with the team. As for retro night the last one here was im pretty sure last year, then before that was 03 celebrating the last year at the vet. But anyway about the 93 retro night they wouldnt have to change anything other then the rare all blue helmet (so it would really be a retro night dont quite know what i was thinking lol), What would be cool would be to see a real old throwback like one from the 40s. Theres the one with the yellow script or the one year they were phillies/blue jays jersey during WWII. Only reason why i think these would be cool is to give fans a brief history of the evolution of our jersey since we're such an old team and never show anything pre 60's (somewhere in the 90s they reintroduced the richie asburn style jerseys, pretty much the same as todays just slightly different font with red stars on the I's instead of blue).Well i digressed but do you think that would be nice like once a year or especially during an anniversary.

I know this is the "Players Choice Signature Series Jersey" but i would love to see this as a Alt. Jersey

SRauuuuuul29shirt.jpg

omg man this was so totally going to me my next concept i was going to just our current font on the powder blues and even just use the current "P" on it as well. Wow my man rauuuul brought it to live and i love it i agree would look sick as an alternate for the future, im buyin this B)

Reading your posts makes my head hurt. You don't need to do all those gimmicky things when you're an elite team. That stuff is great, but should be saved for when they suck again. In '92 when they unveiled the current set, they handed out a poster to all fans that had the current players dressed up in various historical uniforms, honoring the past designs. They did wear the old-English P jersey at home ('91 or '92 - I was there, Todd Pratt punched a Pirate), and they did a few '50s days in '90 and '91 (Dkystra used to wear the '50 cap all the time, and said on air a few times that he wished they wore something closer to that.) Whatever - throwback games are fun, but when every game is sold out and every game is important (though it could be argued that none of their games are important anymore) it takes away from what you're watching - which quite honestly is the greatest era of Phillies baseball ever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know this is the "Players Choice Signature Series Jersey" but i would love to see this as a Alt. Jersey

SRauuuuuul29shirt.jpg

More like the primary road jersey and if the P was fat enough I would love to see the Phillies remake the 80s uni with the current P.

As for the Padres...

ARE U SEEING THIS MLB THE SHOW!! =)

ok primary road jersey, but i dont want just a P on it, i want the whole phillies word on it just how it is here, wonder what it would look like in Red and not Maroon

My bad man i didnt see your reply about not wanting the P on it however i wouldnt mind it either wa, and dude the red on the powder blue, i so gota photoshop that, ill give it a try. that was another option i was thinking about, i like where you're going man!

Reading your posts makes my head hurt. You don't need to do all those gimmicky things when you're an elite team. That stuff is great, but should be saved for when they suck again. In '92 when they unveiled the current set, they handed out a poster to all fans that had the current players dressed up in various historical uniforms, honoring the past designs. They did wear the old-English P jersey at home ('91 or '92 - I was there, Todd Pratt punched a Pirate), and they did a few '50s days in '90 and '91 (Dkystra used to wear the '50 cap all the time, and said on air a few times that he wished they wore something closer to that.) Whatever - throwback games are fun, but when every game is sold out and every game is important (though it could be argued that none of their games are important anymore) it takes away from what you're watching - which quite honestly is the greatest era of Phillies baseball ever.

Well like i said i was a baby in those days so I wouldnt have remembered. your negative responses are making my head hurt. I respect the fact you informed me on the promo nights with the very old jerseys but the negative response in unnecessary, i dont know how my opinions bother you so much, just sayin if its that annoying to you then why bother commenting. But whatever i still think itd be cool to mess with once in a while not every night or every night just each year or every other year hold one retro night and promote one iconic jersey from each decade, i think all teams should do it more like the nhl does. Not just when a teams doing poorly, thats when giveaways, extra promos and fun nights for kids and crap come into play.

As was mentioned in the other thread, there were several issues with the Phillies throwback uniforms.

1. The jerseys should have been zipper front, not button placket.

2. The pinstripes should have been red.

3. The NOB should have been vertically arched.

4. The cap logo looked like a literal translation of the "official" P, when in reality, it was much thinner and subject to variances.

A button-front maroon-pinstriped jersey with a radially-arched NOB should have had the swirl P logo on the chest instead of the open P - but then it would be a post '86 set and not '84.

Also, the helmets seemed to get noticeably darker when they updated in the late '80s. It doesn't matter if the "official" specs didn't change, we all know that they're not always accurate. It could be that the color should always have been that dark, and the lighter ones that we've seen were just do to shoddy painting variances, but they really did seem to be darker near the end.

I really think that the "midnight maroon" is too dark of a color, and more of a Redskins maroon / burgundy would work the best.

Yea i hate how majestic never uses the zipper downs, they imo looked so much nicer, and the names were arched more originally. I like the baseball swirl "P" better but like you said it was after '85. I like the lighter burgandy as well and hope we use it for next years retro night. Who knows maybe we'll wear the 93 world series jerseys with the bad luck blue helmets lol Yea right that would be a mistake. I'm hopin we go with the all swirl uni, swirl hat without that stupid big 3D logo, swirl "P" and the centennial patch with our most memorable "P's" circling the diamond, it looks really nice imo and is my fav throwback 2nd to the powder blue zip ups.

1. Who knows if there will even be a "retro night" next year, considering this is the first one (I think) in the 8 years at CPB?

2. The blue helmets were in '94, NOT '93. The differences between the '93 set and the current set are negligible even by freaks like most of us on here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one who could instantly point them out.

3. Majestic doesn't have to make the throwbacks - there are other vendors who are allowed to do it - and some have used zippers. The Braves throwbacks from earlier this season had zippers.

well i was 3 in 94 so thats why i got the dates wrong lol but i was wondering why we wouldnt just allow mitchell and ness to make the zipper ups for us. probly expensive i mean they are just $250-300 for the public but theyd probly work that out differently with the team. As for retro night the last one here was im pretty sure last year, then before that was 03 celebrating the last year at the vet. But anyway about the 93 retro night they wouldnt have to change anything other then the rare all blue helmet (so it would really be a retro night dont quite know what i was thinking lol), What would be cool would be to see a real old throwback like one from the 40s. Theres the one with the yellow script or the one year they were phillies/blue jays jersey during WWII. Only reason why i think these would be cool is to give fans a brief history of the evolution of our jersey since we're such an old team and never show anything pre 60's (somewhere in the 90s they reintroduced the richie asburn style jerseys, pretty much the same as todays just slightly different font with red stars on the I's instead of blue).Well i digressed but do you think that would be nice like once a year or especially during an anniversary.

Id deff love to see the phillies wear some of these jerseys on the field.

pMLB2-6024297dt.jpgpMLB2-4266285dt.jpgpMLB2-4145204dt.jpgpMLB2-2071750dt.jpg

and next 80s night has to be the sat night specials

pMLB2-1345195dt.jpg

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

Archived