Worst uniforms to have a championship won in them

Morgan33

Good afternoon sports aesthetic enthusiasts.

Was wondering what everyones picks were for the worst championship winning jerseys. To get the discussion started I will offer my pick... The 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins.

crosbycup2009.jpg

While there is nothing wrong with the skating penguin or vegas gold there is no getting around the fact the Penguins have an awful jersey. Nothing about it says anything about the history of the team or the city its simply a generic click and fill template brought in to show off the uniform technology. The Pre-Edge ones on the other hand compliment the triangle logo perfectly and what was so terrible about using the Robo-Penguin as a secondary?

Thoughts?

img9024390.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but I'll take the purple/teal/copper Diamondbacks over what they wear now any day of the week. Especially that purple jersey.

The Pirates won the '79 Series in their gold tops with black pants, right? That gets my vote, though there's gotta be one from the NBA to top that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So far I'm stumped. Some could make a case for the Broncos. Not too many teams to choose from in the NBA with the multiple championships. You could reach way back in the early years in MLB maybe.

I only went back to 1990 for this, as it's too easy to just go find multi-colored '70s and '80s junk to post.

NHL:

nhl-stanley-cup-2004.jpg

NFL:

john-elway-236x300.jpg

NBA, MLB - I really didn't think of any in the last 21 years that qualified for this. I'd have to say Marlins if pressed in MLB, but they're not bad - just boring and uninspired. NBA really hasn't had a bad looking champion since 1990, as long as you factor in the era and cuts of the times.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First of all, great thread idea. Here are my votes:

MLB:

Already been said, but the 2003 Marlins are my vote. Too much black, not enough teal. The color scheme was not proportioned very well. Horrible set to this day. 1996-2002 was the best layout the Marlins ever had.

NBA:

Don't really know basketball, sorry.

NHL:

2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins. Look above.

NFL:

2007-08 New York Giants road uniform

Big blue! Their home uniform is 90% white and blue, and their road uniform is 80% white and red. I don't know what they are going for. Are they making their home color blue and their road color red, or what? You top off a mostly red uniform with a blue helmet. It just doesn't look right. One of my favorite Superbowls, but the worst uniform to win it IMO.

gints-1-1.jpg

new-york-giants-super-bowl-xlii.jpg

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I was going to pick an NFL team, but there really haven't been many bad uniforms that have won it all. The modern Patriots uniform probably comes closest, but other than the mismatched side stripes, I don't even mind it that much. The 2000 Ravens, previously mentioned, are another candidate.

The NBA is also lacking a true weakling, in my opinion, despite the litany of terrible jerseys in the past 20 years. I guess that's what happens when the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Rockets (before pajamas), Pistons, and Spurs have won almost every championship in the last three decades. If the Rockets had won their championships a few years later, we'd have a clear winner. But since they didn't, I might actually go with this year's Mavs - I don't mind it too much, but there's a lot of nonsensical piping and I'm not a fan of the font.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I only went back to 1990 for this, as it's too easy to just go find multi-colored '70s and '80s junk to post.

NHL:

nhl-stanley-cup-2004.jpg

I dont get whats so bad about these. The logo leaves a lot to be desired but the jersey itself is classy and understated. Easily the best Tampa has had (not that thats saying much).

Any uniform the Edmotnon Oilers won a championship in.

That shade of blue and that shade of orange do not go together well, and now they're using them again.

The darker blue & copper look was so much better--and I'm a Flames fan--I thought those were nice uniforms--but the blue & orange ones are awful looking.

And that logo is stuck in 1972.

Go back to the blue & copper guys (Pre-Edge)--they were so much better appearance wise.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Any uniform the Edmotnon Oilers won a championship in.

That shade of blue and that shade of orange do not go together well, and now they're using them again.

The darker blue & copper look was so much better--and I'm a Flames fan--I thought those were nice uniforms--but the blue & orange ones are awful looking.

And that logo is stuck in 1972.

Go back to the blue & copper guys (Pre-Edge)--they were so much better appearance wise.

Couldn't disagree more with this statement. The Oilers were a victim of the mid 90's trend of darkening everything to the point where it almost looked black in order to capitalize on merchandise sales. The scheme began to look dated a long time ago. The Edge jerseys just hammered it home. The current colours on the other hand look great together and seeing how they won 5 cups in them, there is no reason to wear anything else.

Archived