Best Nickname in Sports?

raysox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

digging one up from the archives, your boy Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd

and incluiding this cat moreso for the fact his whole name's fun to say (and the fact that I have no idea how to pronounce Breznev), Buchie Ibeh

a longtime favorite of mine, the Big Dog (Glenn Robinson...I'm aware the nickname predates him, but I'm a Bucks fan, he's the first person that name brings to mind for me)

and the inspiration for one nick in the Lorenzen pile, the Round Mound of Rebound...who may be who may be wrong, but I doubt it.

and lest we forget the Rocket and the Missile (Raghib and Qadry Ismail, respectively), along with their lesser-known brother Sulaiman "the Bomb"

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Nicknames are quite possibly the best thing about sports. The crème de la crème are nicknames that replace first names, or when you know who the nicknames refer to immediately. Some already mentioned, some not.

Basketball:

"Dr. J" (Julius Erving)

"Magic" Johnson

"Penny" Hardaway

"Muggsy" Bogues

"Tractor" Traylor

"Pistol" Pete Maravich

Clyde "The Glide" Drexler

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon

"The Worm" (Dennis Rodman)

"The Answer" (Allen Iverson)

"The Human Highlight Reel" (Dominique Wilkins)

"AK-47" (Andrei Kirilenko)

"The Mailman" (Karl Malone)

Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain

"The Microwave" (Vinnie Johnson)

"The Iceman" (George Gervin)

"Skywalker" (David Thompson)

a separate thread could be made for Shaq's nicknames

Baseball:

"Babe" Ruth

"Hammerin'" Hank Aaron

"Goose" Gossage

"Satchel" Paige

"Catfish" Hunter

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson

"Joltin'" Joe Dimaggio

"The Big Unit" (Randy Johnson)

"The Say Hey Kid" (Willie Mays)

Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas

"Nails" (Lenny Dykstra)

"Charlie Hustle" (Pete Rose)

"Mr. October" (Reggie Jackson)

"The Wizard of Ahhs" (Ozzie Smith)

"The Crime Dog" (Fred McGriff)

Football:

"Bear" Bryant

"Refrigerator" Perry

"The Galloping Ghost" ("Red" Grange)

"Crazylegs" Hirsch

"Broadway Joe" Namath

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

"Sweetness" (Walter Payton)

Jerome "The Bus" Bettis

O.J. "The Juice" Simpson

"Prime Time" / "Neon" Deion Sanders

Dick "Night Train" Lane

"The Minister of Defense" (Reggie White)

Hockey:

"Mr. Hockey" (Gordie Howe)

"The Great One" (Wayne Gretzky)

Other:

"Tiger" Woods

"Iron" Mike Tyson

"The Golden Bear" (Jack Nicklaus)

"The Shark" (Greg Norman)

"The Intimidator" (Dale Earnhardt)

"The King" (Richard Petty)

"Awesome Bill from Dawsonville" (Bill Elliott)

"Jaws" (Darrell Waltrip)

"The Ironman" (Ricky Rudd)

"Fireball" Roberts

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I really think "Pronk" is a cool nickname. But in all of sports? Optimus Reim.

Oh, and "The Great White Hope" and for a vintage pick, "Rapid Robert/Bullet Bob"

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

One of my favorites that I haven't seen listed yet is Roman Gabriel, former QB for the (then) Los Angeles Rams...known as the "Throwin' Samoan". (I also believe he may have been the only Samoan QB the NFL has ever known.)

Around Pittsburgh, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (anyone remember him?) had the name "Chris Mutherf"--y'all figure out the rest. That was always funny to me.

The Kansas City Chiefs once had a running back by the name of Christian Okoye...also known as "the Nigerian Nightmare".

And five stars to anyone who can tell me who David Jones is. (sc49erfan15 missed this one...one of the two teams he played for is mentioned above. :P )

For any of you who follow boxing, there's a litany to pick from...but my two favorites of all time might be "Tito" (nee Felix Trinidad), and Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns. (Honorable mention to Antonio "Magic Man" Tarver...nickname's kinda clever, considering he's a native of Orlando, home of the NBA team by the same name.)

Others I haven't seen mentioned yet:

"The Golden Jet" - Bobby Hull

"The Golden Brett" - ^his son

"Eddie the Eagle" - Ed Belfour

"The Bhulin Wall" - Nikolai Khabibulin

"Olie the Goalie" - Olaf Kolzig

"Beezer" - John Vanbiesbrouck

"The Dominator" - Dominik Hasek

(Why do I have such a good hockey goalie memory??)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One of my favorites that I haven't seen listed yet is Roman Gabriel, former QB for the (then) Los Angeles Rams...known as the "Throwin' Samoan". (I also believe he may have been the only Samoan QB the NFL has ever known.)

The Kansas City Chiefs once had a running back by the name of Christian Okoye...also known as "the Nigerian Nightmare".

And five stars to anyone who can tell me who David Jones is. (sc49erfan15 missed this one...one of the two teams he played for is mentioned above. :P )

Don't know HOW I could've forgotten Deacon Jones...or Christian Okoye. I was going straight off the dome, so I reckon I forgot some. ^_^ My hockey knowledge isn't top-notch, so that's why I really only came up with the two most obvious ones.

Never heard of Gabriel as the "Throwin' Samoan"...but I like it. I always hoped that there'd be a Russian running back or defensive end - the "Rushin' Russian" or "Pass Rushin' Russian" are just waiting to be used.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Reciting the Philadelphia Flyers' post-Parent parade of failed goalies is the only way you can cope with the staggering monotony of Indiowa driving. Corn, soybeans, corn, soybeans, Ron Hextall, soybeans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't know HOW I could've forgotten Deacon Jones...or Christian Okoye. I was going straight off the dome, so I reckon I forgot some. ^_^ My hockey knowledge isn't top-notch, so that's why I really only came up with the two most obvious ones.

Never heard of Gabriel as the "Throwin' Samoan"...but I like it. I always hoped that there'd be a Russian running back or defensive end - the "Rushin' Russian" or "Pass Rushin' Russian" are just waiting to be used.

He ain't Russian--or, at least I don't think he is--but Igor Olshansky is about the closest you gon' get to that. ^_^

(That would be cool as hell to have a Russian tailback in the League, just to pin that other nickname on him.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Reciting the Philadelphia Flyers' post-Parent parade of failed goalies is the only way you can cope with the staggering monotony of Indiowa driving. Corn, soybeans, corn, soybeans, Ron Hextall, soybeans.

Actually, I think this video best sums up that driving experience--and I know this firsthand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeY0hWU28I

But, I digress. (And, I realize I just threw this thread way off track with that. Sorry 'bout dat.)

Jose Contreras "The Bronze Titan" "In Cuba, Contreras was called Titan Bronce, the Bronze Titan -- a reference to a 19th century machete-wielding warrior from the Cuban countryside."

I also like Papa Grande for Jose Valverde. Mostly because it translates as "Large Potato"

As mentioned earlier, I like "Magic" Johnson, His Airness, Sweetness.

But, I like Daryl "The Moose" Johnston, and I can't believe no one mentioned it yet, Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson. Had he focused on football instead of baseball, he could have been the greatest running back ever.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Very short explanation on how the "Bo" in Bo Jackson's name came about...when he was younger, his family and friends nicknamed him "Boar", which as we all know is a wild hog. Well, folk from down south is country, so naturally instead of "boar", it comes out sounding like "bo". The rest is, well, history.

/useless sports trivia

Archived