Anaheim Ducks concept

AndrewPF

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I had the idea in my head and I just wanted to make it up and see how it came out. Like I said, I feel like I might be close to something here. I'm gonna take any criticism and try to use it to make improvements until it's good.

-I like the gradient. That was the original idea that led to the concept as a whole. That's here to stay. I'm determined to make that work.

-I'm getting different reactions to the arms. I took the stripes off, people said put them back. I put them back, they're still no good. What specifically should be done to the arms to make them right?

-The numbers and nameplate were no good. I think I fixed them.

-The collar is cleaned up.

-The shoulder patches are now more correctly colored.

What can I do to make this presentable? I want to be good at this so badly.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Ok so this is not the best ducks concept I have ever seen but you get mad props for hanging in there and presenting a complete jersey that includes TV numbers and such.

Dont take offence to so people being harsh or burtaly honest. Some of the vets (that would be you haha) on here have seen some amazing stuff in the time they have been on here and also had sit through a WHOLE lot of hot garbage (which is not what yours is haha) Most everyone on here wants the same thing (I think); to see some solid well thought out concepts that are executed well.

Now for some C&C... I like the updated set but like you said it sill needs a bit of work. I dont really get the gradinet either, not that I dont like it, but why did you pick that? The arms are better now than they have been but I think you have one to many stripes on there, I would remove the inner most silver and green stipe so there would be only two green and three silver on each arm. After that, give the TV mubers a purple outline and center them on the middle silver stripe. I think that would help a lot. Part of me still feel like the name and numbers on the back are still a little to big. This is just personal but I dont care for the old colors (not that the new ones are any better ofcourse) but maybe try something different.

All in all though its not bad and IS getting better, hang in there and keep updating!!!!

Well, I had the idea in my head and I just wanted to make it up and see how it came out. Like I said, I feel like I might be close to something here. I'm gonna take any criticism and try to use it to make improvements until it's good.

-I like the gradient. That was the original idea that led to the concept as a whole. That's here to stay. I'm determined to make that work.

-I'm getting different reactions to the arms. I took the stripes off, people said put them back. I put them back, they're still no good. What specifically should be done to the arms to make them right?

-The numbers and nameplate were no good. I think I fixed them.

-The collar is cleaned up.

-The shoulder patches are now more correctly colored.

What can I do to make this presentable? I want to be good at this so badly.

Your enthusiasm and effort are clearly present, but I highlighted this section because, as bad as you want this concept, or other concepts down the road, to be good, it won't just happen automatically, first of all it takes a lot of practice, but more importantly you have to get the basics of a hockey jersey right. If you have to, look at a real jersey, and look at the placement of all of the elements, you'll see that your concept here still gets a few things wrong and before you fix them this concept isn't going anywhere. I'll give you a few more tips:

-shoulder logos are still wrong, the one to the right of the collar needs to be rotated 90 degrees, the other one needs to be rotated 270 degrees.

-back numbers are the wrong size, way too close together, and the stroke is wayyyy too thick.

-nameplate is completely wrong, too big, stroke is too thick, and its too high up on the back.

-shoulder logos are too close to the collar

-arm numbers are placed very awkwardly, and the crest logo is too (why is it completely misaligned with the gradient stripe?). crest logo is also too far down.

That is just basic stuff. Also pay attention to detail, the stripes on the arms have rounded ends for some reason, and the stripes on the chest overlap the black jersey outline. Aesthetically speaking, it's still not there yet, mostly because of the arm stripes, I think they are pretty ugly and it doesn't match the gradient at all. I'm not a fan of the gradient in the first place because it belongs to the 90s penguins and doesn't really look good with the wild wing IMO; but you want to make it work, so at least make some of the other stripes have gradients so they don't look random. I also don't like the gradient on the shoulder logos, and like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of the arm stripes, the gray lines are too far apart and it just doesn't flow with the rest of the elements. Keep working at it, but what you should really take away from this way-too-long post is that it's important to get basic elements of a hockey jersey correct in a concept. Good luck.

Elliott, thank you so much. It's clear that you appreciate and respect what I'm going for, and that you want me to do well. I really say how much I appreciate that. You're very helpful and constructive in your criticism, and that is the best I can hope for when posting a new concept. You're a great dude.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Here goes take 4.

The gradient has been applied to the arms, things have been re-sized and re-arranged, and I'm feeling good about this one.

ducks4.png

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Here goes take 4.

The gradient has been applied to the arms, things have been re-sized and re-arranged, and I'm feeling good about this one.

ducks4.png

The first thing that needs to happen is that the logos on the shoulders need to be reversed so the they are upright if you are looking at someone wearing it on the ice. Right now they would be upright if the player looked down at his shoulders while wearing the jersey.

Secondly, I would move the logo up so that it is centered on the stripe. I don't know if that is imperative, just what I would do.

Last, I would go back to the 3 stripes on the sleeve instead of the the large gradient stripe.

gyoung8.png

you've come a long way with taking criticism. these guys are here to help. if nobody comments, then you have to worry.

what might help you is making an action mockup. take a photo of a player, preferably one that shows a lot of design elements, like hemline stripes and at least half of the shoulder logos, and then draw your concept over it. that should help with placement and direction and really visualizing things. even if it doesn't look good enough to share, use it as a tool for yourself.

you've taken heat for the pens' gradient, because that logo had two very different sides to it. this logo doesn't. why not have a green-to-gray gradient on both sides, with the back being gray? or purple? whatever color, it's the asymmetry that doesn't make sense

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

But they were way too large before. What's a good size?

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

I'm not a fan of the gradient look but I'm going to give you as much advice as I can on how I would improve or change this...

Your logos are inconsistent as far as coloring is concerned. Your shoulder logos use the gradient where your primary logo does not. I would recommend making the shoulder logos a solid color and remove the gradient. It's bad enough you're using one in my opinion but if you're going to use one, atleast tone it down and seclude it to one area - other wise it's going to be a mess.

The stripes on the arms are too wide and the numbers are too low on the arm.

the logo on the chest is too small, too low and not centered with the stripe. check out montreal's logo - since they use the chest stripe - for reference. The top of your logo is on the line, however the bottom of the logo is way below the stripe. distribute the logo evenly.

back numbers are too small as stated earlier.

use other jerseys as a reference or starting point. alot of this isn't necessarily what we think about your idea but how its executed. making logos/jerseys/whatever and the like takes alot of studying. you won't learn it over night and i appreciate that you don't want to give up but take a little time to study jerseys and see what they look like. best advice i could give you is pull up a picture of the penguins 90's jersey or montreal's and compare your concept to what that jersey looks like. it'll help you out alot i promise. if you need any help or advice i wouldn't mind helping you with any questions you may have.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I admire your dedication. It still needs work, but has come a long way. You're really putting effort into this, and despite all the edits you've had to make, you're still workings hard at it. It still needs some tinkering, but it's getting there. I agree with worcat. I don't love gradient looks in general either, and I think the logo needs to be bigger and the shoulder patch needs to be a solid colour.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

im a ducks fan and this looks like a ducks jersey good job

Thank you!

As far as the 5th attempt goes, I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Here goes take 4.

ducks4.png

You know what. This is actually pretty cool. I like it. It could still use some detail adjustments, but it's something I haven't seen before. Great work!

Your 4th take is better than your first ones. The Anaheim Ducks crest is not a logo that's suited for the Penguins gradient chest stripe, which is why I like this one better. No lines and gradient on both sides is better. You should just erase the parts of the shoulder logos that overlap your jersey.

Since you're going to be working on another one tomorrow, I'd like to give you a few suggestions. The arm stripes should be the same size as the waist one. And also I think it may look really sharp if you enhance the purple and white trims around the stripes. As they stand right now, I can see that they are there, but it might be better if they were a bit clearer.

Anyway, don't give up. You're doing great. It makes me happy that maybe I can help.

Okay, so I'm working on my 5th attempt, and I'm about to put on the crest logo.

Apparently I'm supposed to have it a certain size and center it, but I'm not exactly sure what's meant. Do I make it small enough so it fits within the gradient and center it there?

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Okay, so I'm working on my 5th attempt, and I'm about to put on the crest logo.

Apparently I'm supposed to have it a certain size and center it, but I'm not exactly sure what's meant. Do I make it small enough so it fits within the gradient and center it there?

look at other jerseys! use references...

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived