2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Put Joe Namath in any other city and see how far his "chutzpah" takes him. "Broad Street Joe" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Broadway Joe".

Markets matter. Joe Namath was a product of his big mouth and the fact that there was always a camera and a mic there to record what he had to say. Such is the way of playing in New York.

New York is a big stage. That's both good and bad; it comes with tremendous added pressure and tremendous added opportunity, if you can hack it.

But it's more than just that for Namath. After ten years of trash-talking about how the AFL was the equal of the NFL, the league's best teams had failed miserably in their two attempts to prove it. The Jets legitimized the merger, Namath was the focal point of a pivotal moment in the sport's history, and that's why he is in the Hall.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe he operates under the belief that since the universe is infinite every possible outcome of every action is happening somewhere. So he might as well make the calls.

Best theory yet. And it made me laugh. Nice work.

Thanks :D He's one of the few NFL officials I know by name, just because he appears so often over the course of every game he officiates. He really does ruin games. You never get to get into the flow of a game he's working on because every other play has to be followed by a flag. He makes watching football tedious. Thank G-d he didn't officiate the 49ers/Bengals game.

Put Joe Namath in any other city and see how far his "chutzpah" takes him. "Broad Street Joe" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Broadway Joe".

Markets matter. Joe Namath was a product of his big mouth and the fact that there was always a camera and a mic there to record what he had to say. Such is the way of playing in New York.

New York is a big stage. That's both good and bad; it comes with tremendous added pressure and tremendous added opportunity, if you can hack it.

But it's more than just that for Namath. After ten years of trash-talking about how the AFL was the equal of the NFL, the league's best teams had failed miserably in their two attempts to prove it. The Jets legitimized the merger, Namath was the focal point of a pivotal moment in the sport's history, and that's why he is in the Hall.

@ Gothamite, exactly. I highly recommend people read Namath before judging Broadway Joe. That really goes for any public figure, because if all you know is what you've heard here and there through the years, well, you don't really know jack then, do you? Take Walter Payton, not to judge the man but who knew there was all that dysfunction in his life?

Besides that, the book is a very entertaining look at not only Namath's life but his college days at Alabama with Bear Bryant, the early AFL, and those Jets teams of the '60s. Interesting guy.

Namath on Amazon

namath-biography-mark-kriegel-paperback-cover-art.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I believe he operates under the belief that since the universe is infinite every possible outcome of every action is happening somewhere. So he might as well make the calls.

Thanks :DHe's one of the few NFL officials I know by name, just because he appears so often over the course of every game he officiates. He really does ruin games. You never get to get into the flow of a game he's working on because every other play has to be followed by a flag. He makes watching football tedious. Thank G-d he didn't officiate the 49ers/Bengals game.

Exactly. Even my girlfriend knows who he is. She calls him the "hangin' ref" as in "hangin' judge." Even she knows he throws way too many flags. As soon as I see Carey's crew is calling a game, I know that there won't be any long run or pass plays or long kickoff/punt returns that aren't flagged.

EDIT: Just saw that they only called 16 penalties last night. For Carey's crew, that's actually pretty good.

BB52Big.jpg

Ridiculous stat: The last time the Bengals beat the Buffalo Bills was the 1988 AFC Championship Game. What's crazier about that? That the Bengals lost 10 straight games to the Bills, or that at one point both these franchises met for the AFC Championship?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks :DHe's one of the few NFL officials I know by name, just because he appears so often over the course of every game he officiates. He really does ruin games. You never get to get into the flow of a game he's working on because every other play has to be followed by a flag. He makes watching football tedious. Thank G-d he didn't officiate the 49ers/Bengals game.

Exactly. Even my girlfriend knows who he is. She calls him the "hangin' ref" as in "hangin' judge." Even she knows he throws way too many flags. As soon as I see Carey's crew is calling a game, I know that there won't be any long run or pass plays or long kickoff/punt returns that aren't flagged.

EDIT: Just saw that they only called 16 penalties last night. For Carey's crew, that's actually pretty good.

Wow, that is low considering there was seven accepted penalties in the first seven minutes.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ridiculous stat: The last time the Bengals beat the Buffalo Bills was the 1988 AFC Championship Game. What's crazier about that? That the Bengals lost 10 straight games to the Bills, or that at one point both these franchises met for the AFC Championship?

even more crazy that at one time both teams made multiple super bowl appearances. 2 for the bengals and 4 strait for the Bills.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Wow, that is low considering there was seven accepted penalties in the first seven minutes.

I was gonna say...there may have been 16 penalties, but how many more flags were nullified by the result of the play?

Does anyone keep track of total flags thrown/penalties called, whether they're accepted or declined?

Did anyone else see Eric Foster's leg break? The toes were pointing the opposite direction they should have. Mike Tirico and Gruden noticed as it happened...Tirico was like, "oh god! here comes all of the medical staff"...before the play was even over.

Gross. and Foster took it like a man (despite the fact he screamed his head off for a solid twenty seconds). He was pumping the guys up. Awesome moment...but a sucky one and gross one too.

If Joe Namath gets in the HoF for that, then Doug Williams should be in the HoF for being the first (and as of now, only) black QB to win a Super Bowl. To me, the latter accomplishment is more important not just in the scope of the NFL, but as a cultural issue. Without Doug Williams, the door wouldn't be quite so wide open for other QBs such as the late Steve McNair and Warren Moon, or even guys still playing today like Michael Vick, Cam Newton and Josh Freeman. Without Doug Williams, we could even have some sort of "Rooney Rule for QBs". Some people might think it silly to suggest that race would be such a big issue in football now, but it still is.

When it comes to Williams and his "hall worthiness", though, people always bring up the numbers. Funny how Broadway Joe is exempt from that standard, no?

If Joe Namath gets in the HoF for that, then Doug Williams should be in the HoF for being the first (and as of now, only) black QB to win a Super Bowl. To me, the latter accomplishment is more important not just in the scope of the NFL, but as a cultural issue. Without Doug Williams, the door wouldn't be quite so wide open for other QBs such as the late Steve McNair and Warren Moon, or even guys still playing today like Michael Vick, Cam Newton and Josh Freeman. Without Doug Williams, we could even have some sort of "Rooney Rule for QBs". Some people might think it silly to suggest that race would be such a big issue in football now, but it still is.

When it comes to Williams and his "hall worthiness", though, people always bring up the numbers. Funny how Broadway Joe is exempt from that standard, no?

Williams is hurt because it seems like those Joe Gibbs teams could win Super Bowls regardless of who was playing QB. I mean, they won one with Mark Rypien under center. Mark Rypien.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Almost for six years I've put up with Tony Romo and all of his idiotic throws, trips to Mexico, and game costing fumbles. I put up with his "dumb face" after errant throws. But now it's time to put an end to this. Tony Romo is the ONLY reason the Cowboys are 2-2 this year. Please Garrett please put McGee in and bench Romo please. Draft a quarterback and trade or just frigging drop the guy. He's not worth the time. I've spent all of these years defending him after a stupid loss then looking like a jackass when he does the same thing over and over again. Get rid of Romo. These are the losses that just make you lol as a Cowboys fan. But then again we could still be the Rams.

From 2001-07, I had Cowboys season tickets, he is who he is and it is for Garrett to control him as much as he can. Plus, if Steven McGee was ready to start, they would have released Kitna.

Ride the coaster. Championships are still random. Sine he can lead a team to the playoffs, the Cowboys winning a Super Bowl are still random. He gives them the best chance to win. I assume since you said six years, you forget the following QBs who could not even win you a game:

Quincy Carter

Chad Pennington

Ryan Leaf

Vinny Testaverde

Drew Henson

Drew Bledsoe

Clint Storner

Anthony Wright

Their OL is youthful and Felix cannot run between the tackles at all. The fact that Garrett did not attack Bobby Carpenter, who they knew was a liability for four years was a shame. then Rob Ryan had Newman (5'9") on Megatron in clutch time?

I too wondered why Newman was on Megatron, but to be honest, it really doesn't matter against that guy. The key to beating him is to beat his offensive line and quarterback, plus never let the Lions in the Red-Zone. IF you don't do the above things, you might as well just draft a 6'10 basketball player and tell him to stick to Megatron because that's the best chance you have.

And cameron, you're right Romo IS the only reason we're 2-2. We would be 0-4 without him. But, we cannot call for his head especially after the past two weeks we were singing praises for him. We cannot turn on him this quickly. These next few weeks will really tell me what kind of team we've got and what kind of Quarterback Romo is. If we can be 4-2 heading into Philly in Week 7, then I'll like our chances as a team, if we're 3-3, not so much. We have to beat the Patriots and Rams. If we win against the Patriots in Foxboro, that will be a huge statement for us. No one will expect us to go in there and beat them, and deservedly so. Plus, against the Rams, that'll be a game we're suppose to win so we have to go out there and win easily. If we are to be a good football team who makes it into the Playoffs and makes some noise in the postseason, we have to win these next two games.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

You know what I hate about fantasy football? Everything.

I loathe fantasy football. It's turned fistpumping, popped-collar douches into armchair NFL analysts. "OMG, Player X's injury is going to ruin my fantasy team, bro!" has become the new "Oh crap, Player X's injury is going to make me lose my parlay for sure, man!"

I think you're being a bit extreme there, Lights Out. Sure, it's great when your fantasy team or teams win. But really most fantasy owners don't take it to that level. At least from the people I play it with, (we treat it as just icing on the cake, on top of our "real" teams winning.) Personally, I think ESPN and other networks cater to it because it's now more normal to engage in fantasy sports than it was ten years, and certainly prior to the internet.

Fox is clearly intentionally not showing the Niners in LA now. I'm done with it. They don't show them against the Cowboys, but they do show the Cowboys against Detroit. Like there are more Lions fans here or something. They didn't show them against Philly, but they will show Philly against Buffalo. I don't get it.

You know what I hate about fantasy football? Everything.

I loathe fantasy football. It's turned fistpumping, popped-collar douches into armchair NFL analysts. "OMG, Player X's injury is going to ruin my fantasy team, bro!" has become the new "Oh crap, Player X's injury is going to make me lose my parlay for sure, man!"

I think you're being a bit extreme there, Lights Out. Sure, it's great when your fantasy team or teams win. But really most fantasy owners don't take it to that level. At least from the people I play it with, (we treat it as just icing on the cake, on top of our "real" teams winning.) Personally, I think ESPN and other networks cater to it because it's now more normal to engage in fantasy sports than it was ten years, and certainly prior to the internet.

Of course ESPN caters to it because it's popular.

But the fact that they cater to fantasy football, and the resulting way that it has changed sports culture, is all the more reason to loathe it.

Apparently there's something out there called a "Tebow thing", and it's suffocating the Broncos.

Orton and Quinn may be nothing special, but at least they're not the Pike's Peak-sized distraction that this 'Tebow thing' has become. If the Broncos don't intend to play him anytime soon, they might as well trade him, or even just release him outright, and be done with it.

The only trouble is, this 'thing' is going to follow Tebow wherever he goes in North America, so not only does that go against any other NFL team being willing to take a flyer on him, it might even keep him from being able to slum it in the CFL, UFL or Arena Football. If Tebow wants to continue his pro football career, he might have to find a league somewhere overseas, where no one knows his name and his more rabid followers aren't likely to go and cause much of a distraction. The Elite Football League of India, maybe?

CCSLC signature.png

Apparently there's something out there called a "Tebow thing", and it's suffocating the Broncos.

Orton and Quinn may be nothing special, but at least they're not the Pike's Peak-sized distraction that this 'Tebow thing' has become. If the Broncos don't intend to play him anytime soon, they might as well trade him, or even just release him outright, and be done with it.

The only trouble is, this 'thing' is going to follow Tebow wherever he goes in North America, so not only does that go against any other NFL team being willing to take a flyer on him, it might even keep him from being able to slum it in the CFL, UFL or Arena Football. If Tebow wants to continue his pro football career, he might have to find a league somewhere overseas, where no one knows his name and his more rabid followers aren't likely to go and cause much of a distraction. The Elite Football League of India, maybe?

I honestly don't understand the media wank Tebow gets. I really didn't follow him during his college years as I really don't follow college sports. I just know his church work and the following he has doing that.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

for everyone that rips on Romo, we must remember that teams don't need an elite qb to win a super bowl. If the overall team is good enough anyone can win a super bowl. Just ask Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Mark Rypien.

But, they all had good defenses... not so sure about the Cowboys...

I saw, I came, I left.

for everyone that rips on Romo, we must remember that teams don't need an elite qb to win a super bowl. If the overall team is good enough anyone can win a super bowl. Just ask Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Mark Rypien.

I'd even say you could throw Eli Manning in that conversation. The man has led the league in interceptions three times during his career. If his last name wasn't "Manning" I'm certain he'd be lumped in with the Dilfers and the Johnsons of the world.

But I digress.

The difference between all of those teams and the 2011 Cowboys is that Tony Romo actively participates in his team's downfall. The three QBs you mentioned were all game managers; they couldn't go out and win you a game you had already lost, but they wouldn't go out and lose you a game that you had already won.

Archived