TBGKon

2011 NFL Season

Honest question... say Tom Brady went down before the season and Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallet step in (similar to a Peyton Manning situation). Without Brady, how many games do the Patriots win?

IMO, this is a 3-5 win team without Brady and barely a .500 team with your average NFL QB... in fact, if I had to choose between the Pats roster minus Brady and the Colts roster minus Peyton, I might choose the Colts. In other words, I believe that Tom Brady willed the Pats to the Super Bowl this year by himself (and with a little luck). So coming one play from winning the Super Bowl with that supporting cast is pretty damn remarkable.

Now I was hosting and still cooking through part of the first quarter, but to me Al Michaels was VERY off tonight.

Granted ,I was moving around my home, but I think he may have had his "Summerall Moment" as Pat did in Super Bowl XXXVI. Then Pat was 70 and

Al is now 67. Al can work the 2012 Olympics where he wants, but he is losing it as to NFL PBP.

But NBC may have an open issue. Tom Hammond (Notre Dame PBP) is the same age of Al. Dan Hicks is 49, but does not call football but possibly once a year.

Coatas is 59 and is best as an anchor.

Lampley is 62 and better for sports other than the NFL.

67877202.jpg

(*.5)(*) (*) (*) (*)

Yeh, that entire show was incerdibly awkward.

And remember why the NFL went to "older" acts? THIS is a reminder why:

sb46_finger.png

Now I was hosting and still cooking through part of the first quarter, but to me Al Michaels was VERY off tonight.

Granted ,I was moving around my home, but I think he may have had his "Summerall Moment" as Pat did in Super Bowl XXXVI. Then Pat was 70 and

Al is now 67. Al can work the 2012 Olympics where he wants, but he is losing it as to NFL PBP.

But NBC may have an open issue. Tom Hammond (Notre Dame PBP) is the same age of Al. Dan Hicks is 49, but does not call football but possibly once a year.

Costas is 59 and is best as an anchor.

Lampley is 62 and better for sports other than the NFL.

He does not look 59, he looks 49.

Honest question... say Tom Brady went down before the season and Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallet step in (similar to a Peyton Manning situation). Without Brady, how many games do the Patriots win?

IMO, this is a 3-5 win team without Brady and barely a .500 team with your average NFL QB... in fact, if I had to choose between the Pats roster minus Brady and the Colts roster minus Peyton, I might choose the Colts. In other words, I believe that Tom Brady willed the Pats to the Super Bowl this year by himself (and with a little luck). So coming one play from winning the Super Bowl with that supporting cast is pretty damn remarkable.

I disagree, I know it was a bit more talented of a Patriots team, but Matt Cassell lead them to, what, 10 wins? And Matt Cassell doesn't appear to be a good NFL QB at all. I think Brady was helped tremendously by Belichick's genius in having Gronk and Hernandez playing big roles in that offense -- between those two and Welker, they present matchup problems for any defense. The Patriots defense, despite the yardage they gave up, was in the top half of the league in regards to points scored whereas the Colts were towards the bottom. The Patriots defense also forced a lot of turnovers. I think a lot of the Colts talent on offense is sort of a product of Peyton Manning.

I think Belichick and some of the talent they have on offense make them good for at least six wins, probably more.

I disagree, I know it was a bit more talented of a Patriots team, but Matt Cassell lead them to, what, 10 wins? And Matt Cassell doesn't appear to be a good NFL QB at all. I think Brady was helped tremendously by Belichick's genius in having Gronk and Hernandez playing big roles in that offense -- between those two and Welker, they present matchup problems for any defense. The Patriots defense, despite the yardage they gave up, was in the top half of the league in regards to points scored whereas the Colts were towards the bottom. The Patriots defense also forced a lot of turnovers. I think a lot of the Colts talent on offense is sort of a product of Peyton Manning.

A bit more talented? Much more talented. That team in '08 had Moss, Seymour, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, etc... And Matt Cassell is the definition of your average NFL QB, which I said puts them at possibly 8-8.

Also, I don't see how you can say the Colts talent on offense is a product of Peyton Manning and say that Brady is a product of the system and the players in the same breath. Just because the Colts got decimated with injuries and had two terrible back-up QBs this year, people scream at the value of Peyton Manning. But they refer to one year where Brady went down, and because the Patriots had a functional back-up QB and were relatively healthy all year outside of Brady, they go 11-5 with a team who had come off of 4 Super Bowl appearances in 6 years, people scream product of the system.

67877202.jpg

(*.5)(*) (*) (*) (*)

Yeah, that was weird. But it was the subject of a good laugh - my brother turned to me when that guy appeared and said "what's with Jackie Moon and the tightrope?"

I actually it was Will Ferrell for a few seconds myself as well. Its not until they showed a closeup of him did I change my mind. Now I think of him as what Will Ferrell's and Kenny G's son would look like if they could have a kid.

Halftime show actually turned out alot better then I thought it would. I'll give her alot of credit for giving exposure to younger artists. She could have very easily done every song by herself and nobody would have said anything, but even more importantly she mixed it together well. And yes M.I.A. was obviously pissed off at something. You can certainly fault her for doing that but what did you think was going to happen when you brought her in? Have you listened to any of her music? The world sucks and I'm angry is pretty much the message to some extent of every song I've ever heard done by her. Whether or not you agree with her message is a matter of opinion, but someone like that isn't going to just "tone it down" in order to appease mainstream appeal. I'm not outraged over it and in fact I really don't even care, but if you are I would say don't blame her for doing the same stuff that got her on that stage in the first place, blame whoever thought it was a good idea to put her on in the first place. Maybe it was Madonna's idea maybe it wasn't, but if it wasn't Madonna's my guess is they probably aren't going to have a job tomorrow.

A bit more talented? Much more talented. And Matt Cassell is the definition of your average NFL QB, which I said puts them at possibly 8-8.

Also, I don't see how you can say the Colts talent on offense is a product of Peyton Manning and say that Brady is a product of the system and the players in the same breath. Just because the Colts got decimated with injuries and had two terrible back-up QBs this year, people scream at the value of Peyton Manning. But they refer to one year where Brady went down, and because the Patriots had a functional back-up QB and were relatively healthy all year outside of Brady, they go 11-5 with a team who had come off of 4 Super Bowl appearances in 6 years, people scream product of the system.

I would take the guys around Brady on offense this year than I would the guys on that 2008 Patriots team. I'd take Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez over Welker, Moss, and Ben Watson because of the matchup problems Gronk and Hernandez create.

Cassell looked like a pretty damn good, not average, QB that year in New England. But despite a very good year last year, if you watch him play he's average at best. So there is something to the system/talent in New England.

Also, Peyton Manning is basically the offensive coordinator for the Colts as well.

And remember why the NFL went to "older" acts? THIS is a reminder why:

sb46_finger.png

Whose idiotic idea was it to smother the world with musical diarrhea like Minaj and LMFAO during such a huge event? It's like they want earth's population to be subject to the pinnacle of untalented faux-cultured swill, snuck in under the skirts of another pop culture relic like Madonna.

So far Boston hasn't burned anything. So um, so much for that Vancouver.

Well, they tried to riot at UMass but the police shut it down.

Did Patriot fans even riot after 18-1* happened?

Well, they tried to riot at UMass but the police shut it down.

Oh, well I wasn't stating that as fact. It was just a sarcastic wisecrack on my part. What else is new?

Well, a town that has actually experienced victory in the past is less likely to riot following a loss anyway.

I doubt Boston would have rioted if they had lost to the Canucks. I'm pretty sure Vancouver still would have rioted even if they'd won.

A bit more talented? Much more talented. And Matt Cassell is the definition of your average NFL QB, which I said puts them at possibly 8-8.

I would take the guys around Brady on offense this year than I would the guys on that 2008 Patriots team. I'd take Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez over Welker, Moss, and Ben Watson because of the matchup problems Gronk and Hernandez create.

Cassell looked like a pretty damn good, not average, QB that year in New England. But despite a very good year last year, if you watch him play he's average at best. So there is something to the system/talent in New England.

Also, Peyton Manning is basically the offensive coordinator for the Colts as well.

Once again, I disagree with you, but that's fine. Remember, Moss was still playing at fairly elite-level at the time... I think Gronkowski and Hernandez are both very good TEs, but neither of them have the elite receiving ability of a Jimmy Graham or the raw athletic ability of a Vernon Davis or healthy Antonio Gates. Once again, very good, but not elite. I think they're a product of Brady as much as Dallas Clark was a product of Peyton Manning.

Also, in 2008, the Pats went 11-5, but they had a cupcake schedule. Their 2008 schedule averaged a .387 winning % (a record of 99-157). In fact, the 2008 Patriots are the only team since the 2005 season to finish with an average opponents win/loss record under .400... As Matt Flynn showed us this year, playing bad teams with poor secondaries allows even average QBs to look damn good,

Most awkward Super-Bowl-winning touchdown ever.

And somehow, I managed to win all four quarters in my football square pool. I'd like to thank the Giants for going for two and missing. Brought my total to $100 :P . Damn near impossible (we picked blind before the numbers were put up), but that was cool.

And by the way, I just want ONE title. I'll give up my season tickets, I'll stop caring, I won't complain anymore about "Same 'Ol Jets" or how "Nothing Ever Changes", I just want ONE. I'll go away and you'll never have to hear me bitch and moan anymore. Just ONE is all I ask. Not two more, three more, whatever. ONE.

I'm still convinced Joe Namath made a deal with the devil though to beat the Colts that day 43 years ago...

On edit: This isn't just about the Jets...Mets & NYR too. One each. Hell, I was 7 when the Rangers won the cup in '94, and if that's all I'll get from them so be it (I really hope I didn't just jinx this season). I was also 10 months old when the Mets won in '86 but that one I definitely can't count.

And by the way, I just want ONE title. I'll give up my season tickets, I'll stop caring, I won't complain anymore about "Same 'Ol Jets" or how "Nothing Ever Changes", I just want ONE. I'll go away and you'll never have to hear me bitch and moan anymore. Just ONE is all I ask. Not two more, three more, whatever. ONE.

I'm still convinced Joe Namath made a deal with the devil though to beat the Colts that day 43 years ago...

image.jpg

There's your ONE. At least you have a photo of what it would look like... If I try to picture a Lions Superbowl victo... - nay, appearance - this is all I can picture:

end-of-earth.jpg?t=20111020075044

On edit: This isn't just about the Jets...Mets & NYR too. One each. Hell, I was 7 when the Rangers won the cup in '94, and if that's all I'll get from them so be it (I really hope I didn't just jinx this season). I was also 10 months old when the Mets won in '86 but that one I definitely can't count.

I fully agree. As a Jets AND Cubs fan, I've obviously never witnessed a championship of theirs during my lifetime. The only one of "my teams" to a title while I've been alive was the 1990 Colorado Buffaloes, and I was like 9 when that happened. I don't even think I stayed up past the 2nd quarter of that Orange Bowl game vs. Notre Dame. Anyways, I absoultely KNOW I could walk away from football if the Jets won the Lombardi, and the same with baseball and the Cubs. Someday......

image.jpg

There's your ONE. At least you have a photo of what it would look like... If I try to picture a Lions Superbowl victo... - nay, appearance - this is all I can picture:

end-of-earth.jpg?t=20111020075044

Yeah, at least there is photographic evidence, and I've seen the original NBC broadcast in its entirety (Cigarette Commercials!) but still, being 16 years before I was born, I can't really count that...