2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most surprising note to me about this Super Bowl is that Indianapolis, which I had expected to be the worst big-event experience since Jacksonville, is being lauded as an excellent host city for the game, even by local media which can be pretty harsh on smaller / less-glamorous cities. Got to say I am shocked - I figured this would be a one-and-done, but it looks like Indy really took advantage of the opportunity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most surprising note to me about this Super Bowl is that Indianapolis, which I had expected to be the worst big-event experience since Jacksonville, is being lauded as an excellent host city for the game, even by local media which can be pretty harsh on smaller / less-glamorous cities. Got to say I am shocked - I figured this would be a one-and-done, but it looks like Indy really took advantage of the opportunity.

Agreed. Props to Indy for putting on a good show last week. I actually expecting the weather to totally suck up there, which it surprisingly didn't!

Powder and ice is usually the "kiss of death" to Super Bowl venues. Some of these warmer-weather cities just don't prepare for the "What ifs" when poor weather hits. Just ask Atlanta and Minnesota and why they'll never see another game. If not for Dallas' massive stadium, they would be waiting decades for another shot to host the big game as well.

6uXNWAo.png

Interesting comment from Belichick after the game:

Belichick says everyone will take time to consider future. Adds, "Young coaches, old coaches."

The same guy, a Pats beat reporter, said that he sounded "contemplative about his future". Maybe Belichick is retiring? Who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow in Phil Jackson's footsteps.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wow. I've never really given much thought to a post-Belichick Patriots team. Who would they hire to replace him?

Darth Sidious. That is, as long as Bill isn't Sidious.

Indy does have a lot of experience as a convention center, and of course they host the Final Four every 4 years, so they do have some practice. That likely helped a lot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting comment from Belichick after the game:

Belichick says everyone will take time to consider future. Adds, "Young coaches, old coaches."

The same guy, a Pats beat reporter, said that he sounded "contemplative about his future". Maybe Belichick is retiring? Who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow in Phil Jackson's footsteps.

I don't see Belichick taking up Zen Buddhism.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"Sounded contemplative" and actually contemplating are two very different things. Belichick will coach for at least another five years.

That is, if Luke Skywalker doesn't kill him first.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Does anyone else agree that if Gronk had somehow caught that Hail Mary pass, that would be the greatest ending to Super Bowl in history? This is coming from a full-on Boston sports hater, but if he had caught that, IMO, it would have been.

To me, it didn't look like he came all that close to catching it. I guess I don't understand all the "Gronk was so close" stuff I've seen today. But yeah, I'm sure all the "greatest ever" BS would have started had a Patriots player somehow caught the pass. But it was incomplete, and that's that.

Close would be trapping the ball, or having the ball go between your hands as you grasped for it. He really wasn't close. It bounced, then went through his hands. Now, from the TV angle, I couldn't tell if maybe he had snagged it until I saw it squirt loose, but you're right... he wasn't as close as they make it seem.

He was never really that close to catching it. From the first angle it looked close but wait for the second look (around 1:08) and you can see he never had a real chance at it. Two steps sooner and maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEECAVrLbDg&feature=related

BB52Big.jpg

Well, Matt Light shirtless is something that's sadly seared into my mind forever.

Where did they go?

The Blue Oyster ?

HAR HAR HAR

I wonder if it was the same place that Pacers player shot up a few years back.... There can't possibly be more than one nightclub in the city of Indy. :P

You'd be surprised. Not only is there more than one nightclub...there's more than one nightlife district! :P (The other one's up by Butler University.)

Agreed. Props to Indy for putting on a good show last week. I actually expecting the weather to totally suck up there, which it surprisingly didn't!

Powder and ice is usually the "kiss of death" to Super Bowl venues. Some of these warmer-weather cities just don't prepare for the "What ifs" when poor weather hits. Just ask Atlanta and Minnesota and why they'll never see another game. If not for Dallas' massive stadium, they would be waiting decades for another shot to host the big game as well.

I can most definitely tell you that Indy knew what it was doing well in advance...even if none of the rest of us Indy denizens did. I mean, when you LITERALLY rebuild infrastructure downtown just to fit it into the Super Bowl Village, you done done some serious pre-planning. (For the rest of you Indy denizens who were wondering why they tore up Georgia Avenue in order to make it a virtual walkway, now you know...and it's now a permanent part of downtown.) None of that helped them finish rebuilding the westside of the 465 loop, but at least the most traveled stretch of it got finished in time. The city already had its experience with being the convention hub that it is working in its favor...I also don't doubt that holding the NFL combine there every year helped them out a good bit, as well. Overall, I believe a great experience was had by all...and for once, I can say I was right in the middle of it. And I can also most definitely say that the city RAKED in terms of revenue...man them folk from New York and up from the Boston area came down and tossed dollars around like there wasn't no tomorrow. And the truly funny thing is...I sensed not a single bit of animosity between the two fanbases, or between Pats fans and Indy residents/Colts fans. Seemed like everyone genuinely enjoyed the experience together, which I guess in the end is really all a Super Bowl Committee can ask for.

Oh, and Curtus...the weather did suck in the days leading up to the game...it was gray and drizzly all week. Then Sunday hits, and BOOM!--(mostly) clear day of sunshine. Just in time, too. (Of course, naturally I had to hit the road soon as game time rolled around, but...still.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Does anyone else agree that if Gronk had somehow caught that Hail Mary pass, that would be the greatest ending to Super Bowl in history? This is coming from a full-on Boston sports hater, but if he had caught that, IMO, it would have been.

To me, it didn't look like he came all that close to catching it. I guess I don't understand all the "Gronk was so close" stuff I've seen today. But yeah, I'm sure all the "greatest ever" BS would have started had a Patriots player somehow caught the pass. But it was incomplete, and that's that.

Close would be trapping the ball, or having the ball go between your hands as you grasped for it. He really wasn't close. It bounced, then went through his hands. Now, from the TV angle, I couldn't tell if maybe he had snagged it until I saw it squirt loose, but you're right... he wasn't as close as they make it seem.

He was never really that close to catching it. From the first angle it looked close but wait for the second look (around 1:08) and you can see he never had a real chance at it. Two steps sooner and maybe.

Tim Couch would have completed it; passes of 50+ yards with no time on the clock are his specialty.

Tim Couch would have completed it; passes of 50+ yards with no time on the clock are his specialty.

Tim Couch? Uh, OK. :blink:

BB52Big.jpg

Tim Couch? Uh, OK. :blink:

Not Tim Tebow... Tim COUCH... That woke me up! :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

I said this a few pages back. Not really close at all.

Just NBC trying to make it a more dramatic ending.

However, if he ran straight to the jump ball without pausing, he would've had a chance to get a hand on it.

So be it, the better team won, and congrats to them.

So far the reaction around here is mixed to the dancing in the club.

It is not mixed on Matt Light shirtless, though.

sig-1.png

Archived