The Next Canadian NHL Franchise

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the logos are fantastic, but the jersey leaves an awful lot of be desired. They're too busy, certainly not NHL-ready. I get your gimmick, I like what you're getting at, but I think the execution is way off.

Look to these for inspiration:

news-battleofns5448.jpg

I think having those stripes across the chest, perhaps much thinner, like the thickness you're currently using, would be incredibly unique and yet not crazy. Combine it with traditional-looking stripes on the sleeves and understated socks, and you'll have a HUGE winner here.

Two other thoughts: If you're going to use gold outlines on the logos, use them elsewhere, especially the numbers. The white outlines and gold outlines look odd side-by-side, and you're talking about a lot of Scottish heritage here, don't be afraid to use plaid! Having a very traditional-striped jersey (like Vancouver or 90s-Winnipeg level of traditional) with plaid made out of the various blues you're using filling in the center stripes. Every time it's toyed with (usually in a Canucks jersey), it gets rave reviews, and I think this might be the perfect place to implement it.

hockey week...thanks for the good advice.

I'm gonna try yer suggestions out.

the logos are fantastic, but the jersey leaves an awful lot of be desired. They're too busy, certainly not NHL-ready. I get your gimmick, I like what you're getting at, but I think the execution is way off.

Look to these for inspiration:

news-battleofns5448.jpg

I think having those stripes across the chest, perhaps much thinner, like the thickness you're currently using, would be incredibly unique and yet not crazy. Combine it with traditional-looking stripes on the sleeves and understated socks, and you'll have a HUGE winner here.

Two other thoughts: If you're going to use gold outlines on the logos, use them elsewhere, especially the numbers. The white outlines and gold outlines look odd side-by-side, and you're talking about a lot of Scottish heritage here, don't be afraid to use plaid! Having a very traditional-striped jersey (like Vancouver or 90s-Winnipeg level of traditional) with plaid made out of the various blues you're using filling in the center stripes. Every time it's toyed with (usually in a Canucks jersey), it gets rave reviews, and I think this might be the perfect place to implement it.

Seriously?? Those jerseys have been done to DEATH and are so cliched now it's sickening! And that's coming from a Scotsman BORN RAISED AND STILL LIVING THERE!

I much prefer the implied St Andrews cross on the sleeves it's way subtler and way more creative than just slapping a white X on the front. If anything I'd like to see what the shirt looks like with the steel grey on the sleeves replaced with yellow. And perhaps and yellow and red lion rampant alt.

I'm not an expert on hockey by any stretch of the imagination, so have no feel for the conventions of hocky jerseys but even so I feel what Chewy has is far more creative than the examples shown, and perhaps all it needs is for them to be toned down rather than completely ditched in favour of something that's been done already.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

hockey week...I kept the 'X's in the sleeve.

9er's right. It's been done. The Edinburgh Capitals also use an 'X' on the chest.

But... I took yer advice of putting some gold in the numbers.

I also put it in the collar.

I'm still working on the plaid thing. Would love to pull that off without it looking hokey.

Away and Home

hback.jpg

That's looking sweet mate! If you could produce them I'd buy any one of them and I'm not a big Hockey fan!

Only other thing I'd say is I reckon you'd be better pluralising the name, us Scots tended to hang about in family clans, so Highlanders would make more sense.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Changed a few things,

Went with the Nova Scotia flag colours-Navy, white, red & gold.

I think it looks cleaner.

hhhome.jpghhaway.jpg

hockeyweek...I tried to put some plaid in the sweater, but I just couldn't pull it off...

Maybe an alternate plaid sweater would be an option.

So I tried something out of the box.

That plaid "belt", would actually be a crest stitched onto the pants (so it wouldn't stick out like I've shown, for illustration purposes),

giving the illusion of an Ovechkin-like belt flappin' in the wind. Does that work or not?

Hmmm...you're right Hawk.

I'm spinning my wheels a bit here.

O.K.-

The 'Halifax Highlanders' (with an 's'), will have Dk. Navy, Red, Gold, & White as team colours.

I've got 3 logos done up; primary (front), secondary (shoulder), and a 3rd for the pants.

I also designed up a team tartan using the team colours (except white).

halifaxprimary.jpghalifaxsecondary.jpghalifax3rd.jpg

O.K. so far?

Just for fun...

Remember the NHL Guardians?...

thehighlander.jpg

*What movie is that quote from, kids?

It's from that movie where pigmy dwarf Mel Gibson played a man reputed to be over 6ft tall (which at the time was ridiculously tall), you know the film the one where he took real history and threw it out the window and where he totally butchered the Scottish accent to within an inch of it's life, Oh come on you know the one I mean... nope it's gone. ;)

ps, Love the updates but they need more Heather... MUCH more Heather! :P

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I agree steve, but Mel wasn't as bad as Christopher Lambert in Highlander!

And Jenny Seagrove butchered the brogue as Marina in "Local Hero". (Fantastic movie though)

Anyway...this is it (I promise)...

Final Home and Aways, Logos, the Highlander Tartan, and...Heather

halifaxhighlanders.jpg

Thanks

O.K....sorry 'bout the detour.

Should've had logos, unis figured out before starting this topic, rather than figuring them out on the fly.

Anyway, let's get back to my musings on 'Halifax vs. Quebec City', and which should be the next Canadian centre to

acquire an NHL franchise.

I've decided to put a "Deadliest Warrior" spin on this thing...

So, without further delay...

WHO...IS...The Worthiest Franchisor! (what a stretch, eh?)

Challenge III...Logos

I tried my best but, jesus-murphy-on-a-cracker, how do you compete against the iconic, timeless, fleur-de-lis?

My secondary is pretty utilitarian. It depicts all 3 founding groups (scotnadians, Halifax, and Nova Scotia)

on a chieftain circular shield. It's O.K.

My primary is a pretty decent variation of the Nova Scotia flag. However, even though I think that Quebec's

"igloo-with-a-hockey-stick" primary is kinda dumb; the Nordiques logo does have a certain appeal. It's 'been there, done that", so it

IS historic. Hard to fight history, and the iconic fleur-de-lis, so...

In the Logo challenge, the edge goes to the Nords.

dw3.jpg

Next up...Uniforms

Challenge IV- Uniforms

Another tough challenge...

The minimalistic Nords jersey vs. the bold Highlanders sweater.

CCSLC designers will no doubt fawn over the "white space" of the former.

However, the unwashed masses of the kids-and-males-under-40 market say...

"To hell with 'white space'. We want metallics, sublimations, and lots of 'stuff' on our gear."

The Halifax entry tastefully delivers on those criteria. The white St. Andrew's crosses on the arms and lower back give it a unique look.

Anyway, the Nordiques are as striking in their simplicity, as the Highlanders are in their 'euro-look' flash.

I'm taking the easy way out and calling this a draw.

dw4.jpg

Next up...Marketing/Merchandising

Archived