2012 MLB All-Star Game Logo

Royals Insider

Other than a lack of difference between the right side of the scoreboard and the flag in the background, that is pretty awesome. On the talk radio station they complained that the logo was no good because their is no "iconic" KC feature in it. I have to disagree, I think the cactus/golden gate bridge/Liberty bell/Statue of Liberty logos are a bit cliche.

I don't remember a statue of liberty logo?

This was the '08 logo, was there another alternate logo I missed?

502px-2008_MLB_All-Star_Game_Logo_svg-782938.png

All Anaheim had was a star with a halo. I don't think there's a particular structure nationally recognized as being Kansas City. More just certain cultural things such as the aforementioned second best BBQ (sorry, Scout, Memphis has got y'all beat ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who grew up in KC and lives in Fort Worth, I love both styles of BBQ equally.

As far as iconic structures in KC, the closest you might get is the Liberty Memorial, but it doesn't get any traction outside of the metro. I once posted it as my Facebook profile pic on Veteran's Day, and none of my friends from outside of KC knew what it was. The Royal's scoreboard is far more recognizable, and thus is properly represented.

More just certain cultural things such as the aforementioned second best BBQ (sorry, Scout, Memphis has got y'all beat ;)

Texas 'Q :censored:s all over the overly vinagered KC mess.

I was under the impression that Carolina was the one with all the vinegar, and Kansas City was more molasses-y. I started eschewing KC barbecue sauces for being too thick and sweet. But yeah, Memphis > Texas > elsewhere when it comes to barbecue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

More just certain cultural things such as the aforementioned second best BBQ (sorry, Scout, Memphis has got y'all beat ;)

I was under the impression that Carolina was the one with all the vinegar, and Kansas City was more molasses-y. I started eschewing KC barbecue sauces for being too thick and sweet. But yeah, Memphis > Texas > elsewhere when it comes to barbecue.

Don't confuse real Kansas City barbecue sauce with what comes in a bottle off an industrial food factory in Oakland. Sauce is more essential to the Kansas City style than in other locales. That sauce, however, is generally balanced with tomato and vinegar, is rarely sweet, and is often heavily spiced with black pepper, cayenne, celery seed, or what have you. There are several styles within the Carolinas, as well, including a coastal mustard-based variety. My favorite is the entirely vinegar-and-cayenne-based mop from the Piedmont.

Regions differ on meats featured, as well. That Piedmont style is famous for whole hog, Texas is mostly about beef, in Memphis it's pork ribs. In Kansas City, you find them all, and that local specialty -- the burnt ends of the brisket.

As far as which region produces the best 'cue, I prefer not to take sides. I like all of them on their own merits, even the oft-forgotten mayonnaise, black pepper and vinegar sauce from north Alabama.

Really, I swear! It's good with smoked chicken, but I wouldn't want it on pork or beef. Horseradish is both a pleasant and traditional addition that is not mentioned in this recipe.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/07/barbecue-chicken-with-white-sauce-recipe.html

As far as the logo goes, I am pretty pleased with it, despite the issues of depth perception others have pointed out. I wondered if it would give us a hint about what sort of changes Kansas City is (maybe) making next year, and it that way, I learned nothing from it except that the script is remaining the same and they still can't pick between powder blue and gold.

Don't confuse real Kansas City barbecue sauce with what comes in a bottle off an industrial food factory in Oakland. Sauce is more essential to the Kansas City style than in other locales. That sauce, however, is generally balanced with tomato and vinegar, is rarely sweet, and is often heavily spiced with black pepper, cayenne, celery seed, or what have you. There are several styles within the Carolinas, as well, including a coastal mustard-based variety. My favorite is the entirely vinegar-and-cayenne-based mop from the Piedmont.

Regions differ on meats featured, as well. That Piedmont style is famous for whole hog, Texas is mostly about beef, in Memphis it's pork ribs. In Kansas City, you find them all, and that local specialty -- the burnt ends of the brisket.

As far as which region produces the best 'cue, I prefer not to take sides. I like all of them on their own merits, even the oft-forgotten mayonnaise, black pepper and vinegar sauce from north Alabama.

I'll take sides, KC is the overall best. I have no problem saying it. There are elements of other styles I love, but for the overall BBQ experience, KC takes it. I lived in Nashville and Memphis does have amazing ribs where the meat falls off the bone and they use unbelievable dry rubs. Carolina knows how to use a hog and do pork right, whether it's the whole hog or just the hog shoulder, it's very good. But what other places don't have the KC does are the sides. It's not just about the meat. Come to Kansas City and get the Cheesy Corn Bake at Jack Stack, the fries w/ Barbecue Mayo at Oklahoma Joe's or the baked beans at LC's and you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for Texas barbecue, Texans think it's the best because they have no idea that anything exists across the red river. They think everything is the best in Texas and when you present them with the idea that there are other places who might do things better, their eyes get hazy and their brain shuts down. Meanwhile they open a can of beans and pour it on your plate and serve some vinegar-y crappy sauce called "Uncle Sonny's Crazy Hot Texas Pit BBQ Sauce." I know the meat might be of high quality, but to me the sides and the sauce are of equal importance.

So yes, Kansas City is the best. We're not on the east coast like the Carolinas or have 30 million people in our state like Texas, so outsiders may not know it, but we do have the best Barbecue!

Oh, and I love our All-Star Game logo. Can't wait for next July 10!

Probably in my mind the best all star game logo yet. Love it. Nice play off the whole medieval/royalty thing.

Can't wait for the Mets to release their logo for 2013...Something like this maybe... :P

4808215349_cd438c14df.jpg?t=1312317568

And I can't wait to see who wins the home run derby with a grand total of 2 home runs! It's gonna be great!

Tf9TG.jpg

I'll take sides, KC is the overall best. I have no problem saying it. There are elements of other styles I love, but for the overall BBQ experience, KC takes it. I lived in Nashville and Memphis does have amazing ribs where the meat falls off the bone and they use unbelievable dry rubs. Carolina knows how to use a hog and do pork right, whether it's the whole hog or just the hog shoulder, it's very good. But what other places don't have the KC does are the sides. It's not just about the meat. Come to Kansas City and get the Cheesy Corn Bake at Jack Stack, the fries w/ Barbecue Mayo at Oklahoma Joe's or the baked beans at LC's and you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for Texas barbecue, Texans think it's the best because they have no idea that anything exists across the red river. They think everything is the best in Texas and when you present them with the idea that there are other places who might do things better, their eyes get hazy and their brain shuts down. Meanwhile they open a can of beans and pour it on your plate and serve some vinegar-y crappy sauce called "Uncle Sonny's Crazy Hot Texas Pit BBQ Sauce." I know the meat might be of high quality, but to me the sides and the sauce are of equal importance.

So yes, Kansas City is the best. We're not on the east coast like the Carolinas or have 30 million people in our state like Texas, so outsiders may not know it, but we do have the best Barbecue!

Disagree.

There's really only one solution..."KC All-Star Meat Coma 2012" Hell yeah! Three days of pig, cow and bird, slaw, beans(the best on earth) and taters (yeah I just referred to potato products as 'taters', what's up?) and every single type of Boulevard you can drink (extra happy-time if they make some more chocolate brew for All-Star Weekend). We'll hit up LC's, Jack Stack, OK Joe's, Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Wyandotte, R.J.'s Bob-Be-Que Shack, Winslow's, Johnny's, and any other place if we can still move. Some might think they just tasted the greatest concoction on earth, others might still prefer TX, Carolina or Memphis style, but all will win and all will have to buy pants one size larger. Bring it!

Back on topic, I wasn't the biggest fan with the logo the first time I saw it, but the more I look at it, the more I love it (aside from the aforementioned color imbalance. I would love to see gold AL unis next summer.

Archived