Budweiser Gets Packaging Rebrand

ashbob

So it's not THIS Budweiser? Damn!

Budweiser-budvar-czech-imported-lager.jpg

Darn! where do you come up with that stuf... I love that beer, (its Canadian rebrand, I mean) and never knoew of the Budweiss connection/disputes.

As for the rebrand, I like what they did, it's an evolution, but can see why some people think they are now taking it one step further from the more "blue colar" blue block letters.

I give it a B+

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's not THIS Budweiser? Damn!

Darn! where do you come up with that stuf... I love that beer, (its Canadian rebrand, I mean) and never knoew of the Budweiss connection/disputes.

As for the rebrand, I like what they did, it's an evolution, but can see why some people think they are now taking it one step further from the more "blue colar" blue block letters.

I give it a B+

I only found out about hat when I was in England and my aunt's boyfriend from NC said he wanted to try the "real" Budweiser... And naturally it went down well with the fish & chips we had for dinner :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I love the term "beer snob"...it's basically a term used by people that don't care about the taste of beer in general and just drink it to get a buzz or get drunk or that it's cold, cheap and does the job for them.

I'm no beer snob but the moment I tried different brands of beer from other countries, I realized that I didn't have to buy cheap crap and act like it does the trick when really, it's become stale and old to your taste buds.

I enjoy Kronenbourg 1664 and other Imports, I despise crap like Bud Light, Miller, Corona and even local brands here like Kokanee. If I was going to drink a local beer, it'd be Granville Island, that's probably the best domestic beer I've had in a long time.

Bud can rebrand all they want, in the end it's just a shiny new package on a turd.

And before anyone asks about price, K1664 isn't expensive at all, neither are other imports at the beer & wine store. I mean for a 6 pack, paying under 20 bucks isn't too shabby, at least for Canadian prices.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Not quite VC.

I consider myself a beer connoisseur. I try new beers whenever I can. I don't go for the specials at the bars or in the store. I tour and purchase from as many breweries as I can. I'm currently making my plans to start brewing on my own. I love beer, and I drink it for taste first, a buzz second (usually).

But the snob part comes in when you call a beer like Budweiser water or p***. Are you kidding me? Budweiser is what it is. Now, as you get into light beers and cheap light beers... yeah. Those get pretty bad and those are designed to get drunk. But Budweiser and its counter parts from the other brewers, sit on that in between level.

I think the attitude you've shown is beer snobbery, and I'm not the type of person you just described.

• 4 weeks later...

Miller does the "Champagne of Beers" thing, and they also have marketing based on "Our beer's for rugged cowboys because it's from the cold-ass rockies", etc. Is that just as sucky marketing?

The "Champagne of Beers" thing is only used for Miller Highlife which, judging from their advertising of that brand, is meant to be a more "upscale" product.

I'm pretty certain the High Life campaigns are meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek; a form of comic irony if you will. The ad campaigns jokingly attempt to portray High Life paradoxically as a top-shelf product at a bottom-shelf price (it's usually the cheapest or among the cheapest packs in the store). The aim here is to get its core consumer, the blue collar, metal lunch box, steel mill type of dude to buy into both the humor and the fact that it's a bargain. Premium product at a non-premium price equals perceived value.

The other thing that marketing in this manner has done is that it has given the brand a hip credibility that in turn also has made it popular with the trendier college and young urban population (urban as in hipster, not hip-hop). Hipsters flock to beers like this (Pabst, Blatz, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best) because being slummy is cool right now. Kicking back with a beer like High Life makes you feel good because you saved money and at the end of the day, when you really think about it, whether it's the taste, the bargain or the buzz that you're after, you drink beer to feel good, and each beer has its own way of making you feel good.

EDIT: By the way, High Life is the fourth best selling non-light beer in the U.S. and is second among domestics. Budweiser, Corona and Heineken are the only non-light beers ahead of it in U.S. sales, none of which are a better product, despite the different marketing angles each of those brands employ. I prefer High Life (in a can) to any of those other three by a landslide.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm torn. On one hand, I really like the redesign. I think they did a great job, and it looks good. On the other hand, growing up in St. Louis, this is messing with my memories! I wasn't even old enough to drink when they replaced the traditional Budweiser font with the cursive...but the two cans prior to the cursive are far and away my favorite.

On a side note, the first can/bottle that I was able to (legally) drink was the Millennium edition. That was just over 11 years ago, but you know you're getting old when they've redesigned the thing two times since then.

Well said. I share the same sentiments about the old can. The packaging re-brand and marketing of Bud Light has made me completely turn away from their product. For lack of a better word, I feel "douchey" now when I drink Bud Light. Can't remember the last time I had it, and it's entirely because of their commercials and packaging.

Archived