Elite Football League of India

raysox

The Blackhawks were doing the alternate logo thing ling before you came along Tom.

Innovate not invent, Ice-Cap... INNOVATE.

Shortly after I joined the NBA (and started NBA Creative Services) EVERY team had an alternate/secondary logo within five years of joining the League so that's my point. I saw the upside of secondary logo as a team brand element (and a merchandising opportunity) and made it a mandate every team feature at least one secondary. And soon MLB, the NHL and then NFL followed... I'm not looking for credit on this it's simply how it went down... Look at the cap... many secondary logos designed by NBA CS... And proud to have been involved...

http://www.gameplancreative.com/identity7.html

And I LOVE the Blackhawks Tomahawks secondary... By the way.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few observations on your firm's work Tom.

The league logo is solid, but the name is terrible. Why not just call it the Elite Football League? After all we have the NFL, not the NFLA.

The Goa Swarm, Hyderabad Kings, and Kolkata Vipers have solid looks all around, but the use of the nickname initial over the city initial bugs me. I usually prefer letter based logos to reflect the city rather then name of the team.

The Mumbai Gladiators identity is a mess. Gladiatorial combat, as known throughout popular culture, was a Roman institution. It seems odd to use such a western/Euro-centric concept as the basis for an Indian sports team.

While I really like the Delhi Defenders logo, the crown is a no-no. You already have a team named the Kings that uses the crown prominently in their logo. Using a crown in another team's logo undermines the Kings' identity. Especially when there's no real reason for a team named the Defenders to use a crown.

All in all this is a professionally done league wide package with a few minor problems here and there. While you're rightfully proud of your firm's work here I honestly don't see this league taking off. Cricket is king in India, and soccer's a relatively distant second. I think the EFLI will be lucky if it manages to carve out a stable niche for itself.

With cricket being the only major sport in a country so big, this could have legs.

The us is so much smaller yet it easily supports 5 or 6 major sports.

What's surprising to me is people there and here are only now realizing the buying power of the indian population when it comes to sports.

If an apology would allow me the valued input and opinions from 20 and 30 something males (who for the "most" part have their pulse on the nature of the sports branding industry) then by all means my sincere apologies.

While an apology on your part might well inspire CCSLC members to engage in the aforementioned "respectful exchange of ideas and opinions" with you, said apology should be offered-up because you truly recognize that your behavior in this community - particularly, early on - has historically been antagonistic and sophomoric. If you're simply offering-up an apology in the hope - indeed, the expectation - that doing so will allow you to secure "the valued input and opinions from 20 and 30 something males", than said apology can hardly be considered "sincere".

At the end of the day, I have always tried to heighten the level of respect in the "design" community for sports branding...

"Always"? "[H]eighten the level of respect"? Not in this community. Not by a longshot. As previously outlined, your forays into the CCSLC have most often been marked by arrogance, condescension, self-importance and a tendency to dismiss anything but glowing reviews of your work and professional accomplishments with complete and utter disdain.

Simply put, the sooner you're willing to acknowledge that your behavior in this community has been marked by boorishness - as opposed to "respect" - and offer-up a sincere apology for said behavioral shortcomings, the more likely it will be that you'll manage to salvage some measure of courtesy - and, forgiveness - from the CCSLC membership.

If an apology would allow me the valued input and opinions from 20 and 30 something males (who for the "most" part have their pulse on the nature of the sports branding industry) then by all means my sincere apologies.

While an apology on your part might well inspire CCSLC members to engage in the aforementioned "respectful exchange of ideas and opinions" with you, said apology should be offered-up because you truly recognize that your behavior in this community - particularly, early on - has historically been antagonistic and sophomoric. If you're simply offering-up an apology in the hope - indeed, the expectation - that doing so will allow you to secure "the valued input and opinions from 20 and 30 something males", than said apology can hardly be considered "sincere".

At the end of the day, I have always tried to heighten the level of respect in the "design" community for sports branding...

"Always"? "[H]eighten the level of respect"? Not in this community. Not by a longshot. As previously outlined, your forays into the CCSLC have most often been marked by arrogance, condescension, self-importance and a tendency to dismiss anything but glowing reviews of your work and professional accomplishments with complete and utter disdain.

Simply put, the sooner you're willing to acknowledge that your behavior in this community has been marked by boorishness - as opposed to "respect" - and offer-up a sincere apology for said behavioral shortcomings, the more likely it will be that you'll manage to salvage some measure of courtesy - and, forgiveness - from the CCSLC membership.

I give respect as I get respect. And so I would expect a full sincere apology from others on this site starting with you.

This is a great concept! I realize that the League will not begin play until 2012; but, I cannot fathom that this League will be lasting long - if at all, especially due to the Indian Government's mishandling of the 2010 Commonwealth Games as well as the excruciatingly high poverty levels for such a "developed" country.

I give respect as I get respect.

As previously stated, your initial contributions into this community were marked by arrogance, condescension, self-importance and the tendency to dismiss anything but glowing reviews of your work and career accomplishments with disdain. You were the first person to choose to behave in such a manner. As such, many members of the CCSLC chose to respond in kind. To imply that you were an innocent party who was attacked for no reason is disingenuous.

And so I would expect a full sincere apology from others on this site starting with you.

What exactly would I be apologizing for, Mr. O'Grady? Having the temerity to point-out - and hold you accountable for - your boorish behavior?

I hope we can improve our treatment of one another moving forward Brian.

As do I, Mr. O'Grady.

Shots right out of the box speak volumes of why we should agree to pay more respect to one another.

My so-called "shot" was a response to your rather sophomoric attempt to pass yourself off as a random visitor to the CCSLC who was simply brimming with excitement to gush over Gameplan Creative's work on behalf of the Elite Football League of India.

As I've asked previously, why the attempt at duplicity? Why not simply enter the CCSLC as yourself, offer-up a sincere apology for your previous boorish behavior in these forums, pledge a commitment to conducting yourself like a mature professional in this community moving forward, and ask members of the community to share their honest assessments of Gameplan's EFLI branding packages?

Slinking into this community and trumpeting your work under pseudonyms is just more of the same behavior that drew the ire of this community's members in the first place. As such, I responded with a comment that was meant to communicate that many of us are no more tolerant of such antics now than we were when you first engaged in them.

Bottom line? "[M]oving forward" is going to require you to pay more than just lip-service to making amends for your previous ill-mannered behavior in the CCSLC. When you're ready to do so, I suspect that members of the CCSLC - myself included - will be ready to engage in a mutually-respectful relationship.

As do I, Mr. O'Grady.

Shots right out of the box speak volumes of why we should agree to pay more respect to one another.

My so-called "shot" was a response to your rather sophomoric attempt to pass yourself off as a random visitor to the CCSLC who was simply brimming with excitement to gush over Gameplan Creative's work on behalf of the Elite Football League of India.

As I've asked previously, why the attempt at duplicity? Why not simply enter the CCSLC as yourself, offer-up a sincere apology for your previous boorish behavior in these forums, pledge a commitment to conducting yourself like a mature professional in this community moving forward, and ask members of the community to share their honest assessments of Gameplan's EFLI branding packages?

Slinking into this community and trumpeting your work under pseudonyms is just more of the same behavior that drew the ire of this community's members in the first place. As such, I responded with a comment that was meant to communicate that many of us are no more tolerant of such antics now than we were when you first engaged in them.

Bottom line? "[M]oving forward" is going to require you to pay more than just lip-service to making amends for your previous ill-mannered behavior in the CCSLC. When you're ready to do so, I suspect that members of the CCSLC - myself included - will be ready to engage in a mutually-respectful relationship.

If I posted the username of Tom O'Grady and had a link to Gameplan Creative... would you have honestly given me a chance to post? It was not intended as a ploy or workaround nor to be underhanded... it was IMO the only entrance back in...

If I posted the username of Tom O'Grady and had a link to Gameplan Creative... would you have honestly given me a chance to post?

I can only speak in absolutes for myself, but had said post included an apology for your past antagonistic behavior - as well as a promise to conduct yourself in a more mature, respectful and professional manner going forward - along with the link to Gameplan Creative, yes... I would have welcomed your post.

It was not intended as a ploy or workaround nor to be underhanded... it was IMO the only entrance back in...

So, now that you're "back in", can the membership of this community expect anything in the way of an apology for your past behavior? Just as importantly, will you display more decorum going forward?

Rather than continue to complain about someone posting, I think i'll just comment on the logos. The BlackTigers is a bad logo, simple as that. The color scheme is pretty lame, and the tiger looks, well, bad. That sad, the Warriors logo is one of my favorite logos I've seen in a while. As for for the Gladiators... Why is the statue of Liberty wearing sunglasses?

tex_rangers.jpg

credit: Logodawg86

As do I, Mr. O'Grady.

If I posted the username of Tom O'Grady and had a link to Gameplan Creative... would you have honestly given me a chance to post? It was not intended as a ploy or workaround nor to be underhanded... it was IMO the only entrance back in...

After this I shall leave it to BIB...

But wasn't coming in under that username a ploy AND a workaround? I won't go so far as to call it underhanded, but in all honesty, you did it to "work around" past problems.

As do I, Mr. O'Grady.

So, now that you're "back in", can the membership of this community expect anything in the way of an apology for your past behavior? Just as importantly, will you display more decorum going forward?

Sincere apologies to all who I might have offended. Better days ahead. See you guys in a few weeks. Trying to figure out who is going to outfit the EFLI? Nike? Reebok? Wilson? Thanks for your patience Brian.

After this I shall leave it to BIB...

But wasn't coming in under that username a ploy AND a workaround? I won't go so far as to call it underhanded, but in all honesty, you did it to "work around" past problems.

I'm not sure this league has much in the way of long-term prospects but it might have the ability to stick around for, say, 7-11 years.

Thank you, come again!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Brian:

Let it go. In case you haven't noticed, the world has bigger problems to attend to - oh, like an imploding global economy for instance.

If this gentleman is sincere in his approach, then that will show in the coming months.

Anyway, for once, I agree with Ice Cap. Firstly, has India been playing the game on a club level? Not that I know of. I'm sure the NFL would be very, very happy if the football bug bit India. However, much like leagues in Germany and the UK, Hungary, France and Spain, you have to pay your dues. I bet while there is a core of American Football fans in India, it is a small, small part of the sporting public. To say as you did in your video that cricket is losing popularity? Not a chance.

Having big stadia doesn't mean you will fill those seats every single game day. I think that selling point would be better suited to attracting an NFL pre season game or a CFL game or even a tournament of national teams. It would be great to see Japan, Mexico, Germany, France, US, Spain, Canada and India compete in India.

Having team names, team identities and logos doesn't assure you of anything either. I think NFL E/WLAF had great identities. The Asia Pacific league had team names and identities too. They never played a game.

I also have to be brutally honest here. I know I am going to come off sounding like a red neck which is not the case at all. There is a pretty severe backlash here in the States, in certain segments of industry, against India. It is a fact many people lost their jobs due to outsourcing to India, and the last thing they are going to want to see is a rather loud announcement that a sport which is purely American, is being exported over. Personally, I think its great. I've been to NFL E games in England, Scotland, Germany, Spain, Holland and I had a blast. But I think it is in your best interest to be rather humble about this venture.

Archived