Elite Football League of India

raysox

David Boss... had a hand in what was then a revolutionary look - the wrap around Seahawk on the helmet

Not to slight Mr. Boss, but it has always been my understanding that Michael Gaines and Amy Yutani of NFL Properties were the primary parties involved in the hands-on design of the Seahawks' logo, helmet and uniform design. Gaines was the "Team Concepts Leader" on the Seahawks project, with Yutani serving as the "Lead Designer". Boss' role on the project was assigning Gaines responsibility for overseeing the development of the Seahawks identity package, with Gaines bringing Yutani on to head-up the actual design work. I'm sure that Boss made his opinions known at various stages of the process to create an identity package for the Seahawks, but his "hand" seems to have been passing primary responsibility on to other members of the NFL Properties Creative Services division.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Boss... had a hand in what was then a revolutionary look - the wrap around Seahawk on the helmet

Not to slight Mr. Boss, but it has always been my understanding that Michael Gaines and Amy Yutani of NFL Properties were the primary parties involved in the hands-on design of the Seahawks' logo, helmet and uniform design. Gaines was the "Team Concepts Leader" on the Seahawks project, with Yutani serving as the "Lead Designer". Boss' role on the project was assigning Gaines responsibility for overseeing the development of the Seahawks identity package, with Gaines bringing Yutani on to head-up the actual design work. I'm sure that Boss made his opinions known at various stages of the process to create an identity package for the Seahawks, but his "hand" seems to have been passing primary responsibility on to other members of the NFL Properties Creative Services division.

Thanks for the interesting feedback Brian. Again, names I am not familiar with but obviously both very talented (as was Mr. Boss). During the 1990's Bruce Burke lead the NFL Properties Creative Services division. Two talented members of that group, Martin Fitzpatrick and Rhonda KIm lead external teams as well as oversaw much of the team identity projects to come out of the NFL during the 1990's. Again, thanks for the information.

While the '70's saw their fair share of team identity changes, it's clear to me that the '90' version of the NFL and their Creative Services Division were much more active and successful in the caliber and the amount of work produced in that decade. I would argue just as much as when Reebok took over the NFL license.

Island Style:

So the Team Mexico helmet and jersey are the Barcelona Dragons a little ramped up? I have plenty of game worn Dragons stuff in my collection including a Barcelona blue helmet - when they became FC Barcelona they considered a change from green to Barca blue (also the original color of the Dragons as proposed by NFL Properties was royal or navy blue).

I do digress. Team Mexico's design is just a little more complicated.

By the way, India, you only told a small, small fraction of the Pete Rozelle story and I think it was misused.

Rozelle had an even bigger contribution. He lobbied Congress to allow the league to package the tv rights for all the teams and let them share equally. Hence, it leveled the playing field. It was the modern forerunner of all sports broadcast properties. Yes, Rozelle viewed TV as a growth portal, and yes, Monday Night Football happened partially because of him. But please tell the entire story.

Secondly, you should note that the Oilers were an AFL franchise and the AFL came about because the NFL owners, specifically the Bidwells that owned and still own the Cardinals, would not sell the team. Bud Adams tried to buy the team and was interested in moving the team to Houston, or getting an NFL expansion franchise. Buffalo, another AFL city, made a bid for the Cardinals as well. So did Minneapolis. It wasn't until the AFL placed a team in Dallas that the NFL expanded to Texas.

You really should know your history before (mis)using it.

Hate to rain on Pete Rozell's parade but way before he was the commissioner of the NFL another football icon was developing the NFL...

Papa Bear George Halas...

A pioneer both on and off the field, Halas made the Bears the first team to hold daily practice sessions, to analyze film of opponents to find weaknesses and means of attack, place assistant coaches in the press box during games, and to broadcast games by radio. He also offered to share the team's substantial television income with teams in smaller cities, firmly believing that what was good for the league would ultimately benefit his own team. A firm disciplinarian, Halas maintained complete control of his team and did not tolerate disobedience and insubordination by players. He also insisted on absolute integrity and honesty in management, believing that a handshake was sufficient to finalize a deal; few, if any, intermediaries were necessary.

Island Style:

So the Team Mexico helmet and jersey are the Barcelona Dragons a little ramped up? I have plenty of game worn Dragons stuff in my collection including a Barcelona blue helmet - when they became FC Barcelona they considered a change from green to Barca blue (also the original color of the Dragons as proposed by NFL Properties was royal or navy blue).

I do digress. Team Mexico's design is just a little more complicated.

Mexico is Barcelona's and Hawaii's love child. Mexico's logo is Barcelona's with a few things added. They jerseys are pretty much Barcelona's with tribal. It is Barcelona meets Hawaii. I dont see how it is "revolutionary".

rid-nfle-bd.jpg259895_10150229494024807_242926269806_7386431_5397559_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a lot of debate about the Pune BlackTigers logo not being "black" and the fact that another EFLI team Nagpur is commonly called the Tiger Capital of the World, the Pune BlackTigers and the Nagpur team would like to announce a trade... the Nagpur team will be known as the NAGPUR TIGERS and the Pune team will be know as the PUNE ARMOR, with logo to come. And a potential second team the PUNISHERS to follow...

And after valued input from some Creamerites, the Tigers logo has been tweaked...

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dmRFFaYUlPSHl2eE1UQw

After a lot of debate about the Pune BlackTigers logo not being "black" and the fact that another EFLI team Nagpur is commonly called the Tiger Capital of the World, the Pune BlackTigers and the Nagpur team would like to announce a trade... the Nagpur team will be known as the NAGPUR TIGERS and the Pune team will be know as the PUNE ARMOR, with logo to come. And a potential second team the PUNISHERS to follow...

I have to say that I'm disappointed that the unique Black Tigers name has been abandoned. That's really too bad. While the Tigers name is certainly fitting for a franchise representing a city and region dubbed the "Tiger Capital of the World", one wonders why the Black Tigers nickname couldn't have been applied to the Nagpur franchise?

In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new logo package for the renamed Pune Armor will look like.

As for the Punishers franchise, what city/region will they be representing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Name stopped being relevant when the black tiger looked more like a zebra than a tiger no matter how hard we tried to make it work. Decision was an easy one. Nagpur being the "Tiger Capital of the World" makes final decision the correct one.

This post makes me laugh as a designer.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pune Black Tigers shipped their identity to the Nagpur Tigers, who have now given way to the Bangladesh Tigers. It would appear that the EFLI's Tigers has been prowling all over the Indian subcontinent. ;)

Meanwhile, the franchise representing Pune is now dubbed the Pune Marathas, and Nagpur has - for the moment - disappeared from the EFLI line-up altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

More fluidity to report in the EFLI's lineup of franchises.

The league originally launched with the following eight teams representing teams throughout India:

Bhubaneswar Warhawks

Delhi Defenders

Goa Swarm

Hyderabad Skykings

Kolkata Vipers

Mumbai Gladiators

Pune BlackTigers

Punjab Warriors

Expansion franchises were then granted to represent Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Nagpur. There was also talk of another team - identified only as the Punishers - potentially joining the league. At this time the Pune BlackTigers rebranded and the league lineup was as follows:

Bhubaneswar Warhawks

Colombo Lions

Delhi Defenders

Goa Swarm

Hyderabad Skykings

Kolkata Vipers

Mumbai Gladiators

Nagpur Tigers

Pune Armor

Punjab Warriors

Shortly thereafter, the Pune Armor rebranded again, adopting the Pune Marathas identity, and the Goa Swarm relocated to become the Chennai Swarm.

Most recently, the league's website has been updated to indicate that, in the wake of further franchise relocations/suspensions/revocations, the EFLI's lineup of franchises is currently as follows:

Bangalore Warhawks

Colombo Lions

Delhi Defenders

Kandy Skykings (Sri Lanka)

Kolkata Vipers

Mumbai Gladiators

Peshawar Wolfpak (Pakistan)

Pune Marathas

• 3 months later...

All of the uniforms are the same...my eyes!!

(But seriously, I think it's super cool that this has started and I wish the league much success.)

Well at least all the uniform colors go well together and it is probably good that they all have the same template due to being a new league and trying to establish a foundation.

spacer.png

• 2 years later...

Alright, I finally read through every post ITT, and while the first few pages were interesting but also off-putting to a member like me who wasn't here back then, I do think I'm ready to post here and revive a dead thread, which I know is usually bad form, but it should be understandable for a league that hasn't had much news come out of it lately.

The only reason I searched for EFLI on these boards anyways is that the CC Twitter account just retweeted something about it. Is it just me or does that new logo seem inspired by the interlocking logo for the older university affiliate team also known as the Warriors?
BuyFq6-CUAAdA4t.png

626.jpg

Also, every time I see the Chennai (née Goa) Swarm logo from 2011 (?) I can't help but think of this year's Charlotte Hornets' new logos:
459149_448524888509107_792474064_o.jpg

512038942015.gif512011202015.gif512048052015.gif

Coincidence with the theme of a hornet and honeycomb or what?

I may be working just an hour north of Delhi this year, so I'd like to get into this league, and maybe become a fan of the Defenders, or of the Warriors if they're really representing Haryana--when I google EFLI Warriors I see a team from Punjab with the same logo, albeit different colors, so did this Haryana team receive the Warriors just like Chennai received the Swarm from Goa and like the (Black)Tigers got shipped around a couple times earlier?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived