College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minus the ridiculous wide stripe, Ohio State's came out far better than I expected.

EDIT: after looking at Ohio State's 1961 uniform (these are slightly modeled after it), they really did have that wide of a stripe. Nice job Nike, but the rest aren't pushing the envelope anymore.

tumblr_lqvekcsu2X1qewpxwo1_250.jpg

Pro Combat has become stale

Manchester-City-icon.png

Love the number fonts for Navy, Army, and Stanford. Probably the best three sets out of the group, actually. Not really feeling Ohio State or Michigan State. Not sure whythey keep adding metallics to Michigan State. First bronze, now gold?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

307239_10150803196035154_216043845153_21121611_509185917_n.jpg

Go Green! Go Gold???

Lame, Nike. Really lame.

Well, this isn't a complete surprise, is it? Nike/MSU introduced gold as a trim color in the most recent rebrand. It's not like its showing up here for the first time just for the Pro Combat uni.

Uh oh. I just hope they don't pair it with black pants and their usual white helmet a la Stanford.

New rule: if you struggle to beat WKU, you don't get to wear black uniforms.

But seriously, they have a great color scheme; why muddy it up with black. Bad decision IMO.

If by "usual" you mean the helmet they just started wearing again this season. lol Last time they wore a white helmet was 2000.

Didn't realize it had been that long. I watch a TON of college football, but Duke is never on...for obvious reasons.

Love the number fonts for Navy, Army, and Stanford. Probably the best three sets out of the group, actually. Not really feeling Ohio State or Michigan State. Not sure whythey keep adding metallics to Michigan State. First bronze, now gold?

Gosh, you've either got a much better monitor or better eyesite than me, I didn't even see that 3D effect on Navy.

307239_10150803196035154_216043845153_21121611_509185917_n.jpg

Go Green! Go Gold???

Lame, Nike. Really lame.

Well, this isn't a complete surprise, is it? Nike/MSU introduced gold as a trim color in the most recent rebrand. It's not like its showing up here for the first time just for the Pro Combat uni.

Right, but all that gold and black, and no white? Against Michigan? Furthermore, it's not too much of a stretch to say that that much gold comes a little too close to the maize of your biggest rival, especially when you're playing them in those uniforms.

Alrighty, here's my takes:

Navy: LOVE LOVE LOVE. Best of the bunch. The white helmet on blue monochrome suprisingly looks very sharp, and there's a perfect amount of gold. Great route taken in going with the anchor logo, it looks fantastic as used. The numbers are perfect, instantly reminiscent of numbers on the side of a ship. The undershirt is REALLY awesome, and "Don't Tread on Me" inside the collar is an excellent touch. I love them so much, I'd make them full-time if I could.

Army: Gives the service academies a 2-for-2 record here, well done. Number font is very nice, glad to see the return of the stripes on the undershirt. No complaints here.

Michigan State: it's a "mehh" for me. Silver in place of gold would have helped this a great deal - as it is, I too see CSU or Notre Dame well before MSU. The greek inside the collar, however, I REALLY like, and the undershirt is pretty cool as well. Therein lies the problem with this set, however; the best elements of it are the ones that are hidden! We'll see how it looks on the field, but right now I'm really wishing they'd tried out silver instead of gold.

Ohio State: I like the helmet...and that's about it. What's going on with the sleeves on the gloves? I'm on a small browser (iPod) so it's hard to make out what it is, but it's pretty ugly to me. All in all, it's not terrible, but there isn't a whole lot I like about it.

Stanford: Possibly the worst of this new batch (not as bad as Georgia, though). I'm at a loss as to what the inspirarion for it is....I can't figure it out. One thing I really dig is the number font, but aside from that, I just...don't...get this.

LSU: I've already thrown in my two cents regarding the Tigers, and the opinion remains the same. Really liking it alot. The gloves have made me an even bigger fan. Those are downright sharp.

Soooo...my personal "winners" of this Pro Combat season would undoubtedly have to be the service academies, Navy especially. It's the only one of the entire bunch that I prefer over whatever the team currently wears. Nike did a fantastic job with Navy, and Army is a standout as well (loving the combat boot inspired shoes as well!). The service academies stand at the very top, and LSU would be my 3rd place team.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived