College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

It is segmented. It's three tapered stripes combined to look like one stripe.

In that case I can't see anything I like about the helmet. I'm all for matte helmets, segmented stripes, and one-side-numbers, but all three on the same helmet just doesn't mesh at all.

At least the face mask is all one color...

Southern Miss has had the tapered stripe since at least 207, so this isn't an innovation just for the matte helmets.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the matte look. It doesn't work for every team, but I think it's an awesome development in uniform design. Just another element at a designers disposal. Take the giants for example. A matte helmet would work far better than the ultra glossy sparkle lid they pair with their classic look.

I love the matte look. It doesn't work for every team, but I think it's an awesome development in uniform design. Just another element at a designers disposal. Take the giants for example. A matte helmet would work far better than the ultra glossy sparkle lid they pair with their classic look.

The Giants' helmets have metallic flake. A simple glossy finish would work just fine. Matte would look cheap.

I want y'all to take a real good look at all the matte lids that have come out recently (ugh, trends...can't stand them). Anyway, notice any similarities?

Don't worry, I'll wait...

....Time's up. Notice they're all either black or dark gray. Haven't seen any other color matte lids, have we? Perhaps there's a reason for that...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

^ I stand corrected...apparently, I just missed it.

Even still, that's one out of how many? And, my point still stands about "trends"...but hey, young kids are impressionable, and apparently so are some athletic directors and head coaches. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

^ I stand corrected...apparently, I just missed it.

Even still, that's one out of how many? And, my point still stands about "trends"...but hey, young kids are impressionable, and apparently so are some athletic directors and head coaches. ^_^

Wyo has a brown one.

Screen_shot_2011-07-12_at_11.01.57_PM.png

TCU's isn't really matte, but it isn't gloss.

311256_10100153250087483_9212695_44950184_4165255_n.jpg

There will be more in other colors besides black.

Wyoming is the last school that should ever jump on the alt-color jersey trend. Brown with yellow accents looks good. Yellow with brown accents, not so much.

And it's not like Wyoming has the sort of football program that can stand on its own without immediate recognition. Then again, how many people will be seeing those things? Thanks, The Mtn., for keeping my eyes shielded from Wyoming's awful digs.

Wyoming is the last school that should ever jump on the alt-color jersey trend. Brown with yellow accents looks good. Yellow with brown accents, not so much.

And it's not like Wyoming has the sort of football program that can stand on its own without immediate recognition. Then again, how many people will be seeing those things? Thanks, The Mtn., for keeping my eyes shielded from Wyoming's awful digs.

That cuts me deep bro....real deep. Just kidding. I am actually pretty excited for Wyoming's potential combos. I call a brown/brown/brown for Nebraska and I'm pretty excited for it.

New Uni's for Greenville College, some small school in southern Illinois... Kinda surprising they got the attention from Nike to get new ones..

Those numbers are freaking incredible! if only they would done full on tiger stripes instead of halfway, these could have been killer!

Those are just the Miami Pro Combat numbers from last year. TCU's frog skin ones are in the catalog too.

42-33706-F.jpg

where can you design and order pro combat uniforms?

vegasbowl.png

So I guess the point of Pro Combat isn't to do something different, seeing as these uniforms use last year's designs ;)

The Broncos set is frustratingly close to good. Only colouring one sleeve and only using the logo on one side of the helmet looks terrible, and really drags the whole look down. Plus, I'm not sure if the BSU logo looks that great rendered in that size. Something about the horse head seems "off."

The Oregon set is worse then the National Championship game set. Like that set, this one foregoes school colours in favour of black and highlighter yellow. At least with the National Championship game set, though, you could see the wing pattern (the best part about Oregon's current design). The double black thing might look "slick" in pictures taken under controlled lighting, but I don't see them translating very well on television on game day. Sort of like how the Jaguars' teal flaked black helmet looks great in promo photos but just comes off as black on television. Black on black numbers is also a no-no. Maybe the highlighter yellow outline will be enough, maybe it won't, but it still looks terrible.

The worst part about this is that the core idea behind this set could have lead to a fantastic uniform. I'm a big fan of uniform sets that can pull off a two colour look without using white, but the key there is to actually use team colours. Replace the black with green, the highlighter yellow with athletic gold, and make the wings and numbers athletic gold. That would have been a convincingly modern look that both played to Oregon's supposed dislike of the traditional while still honouring the school by using its colour scheme.

I have to be honest...I actually can't wait to see the unveiling of the annual Pro Combat unis. I certainly don't like everything I see...but I do love seeing the envelope being pushed in some of the designs. I absolutely loved the Boise St blue helmets with the bronco head on the one side from last year. I wish they'd go full time with those. I can't say that I love the rest of the uniform but its not like I would start a rally to boycott them anytime soon.

Have to admit, that TCU helmet might be my new favorite in college football. I understand criticism for the overhaul they did, but I've warmed up to it well.

Anyways, Western Carolina has new uniforms. Same template worn by Georgia Tech last year (who opens against them on Thursday). I've already seen this template pop up in a lot of places in high schools around the area as well.

I actually think this template works well with their logo. Uniforms are neat.

untitled-1.jpg

Those are actually pretty slick...well done!

(They'd have been better with the TV numbers on the sleeves, though...right now that empty space bounded by the shoulder stripes and the sleeve cuff is talking very loudly to me.)

Those are actually pretty slick...well done!

(They'd have been better with the TV numbers on the sleeves, though...right now that empty space bounded by the shoulder stripes and the sleeve cuff is talking very loudly to me.)

I second that. very well done!!!

New Uni's for Greenville College, some small school in southern Illinois... Kinda surprising they got the attention from Nike to get new ones..

Those numbers are freaking incredible! if only they would done full on tiger stripes instead of halfway, these could have been killer!

Those are just the Miami Pro Combat numbers from last year. TCU's frog skin ones are in the catalog too.

42-33706-F.jpg

where can you design and order pro combat uniforms?

Nike Team. Not sure if you can configure them on their website, but you can at least see the catalogs there and contact a nike team rep to place an order. Saw a HS team on ESPN this weekend with those same numbers from the Miami PC uniforms.

The Giants' helmets have metallic flake. A simple glossy finish would work just fine. Matte would look cheap.

I dont understand how matte looks cheap. if used well, with a traditional uniform, with matching flat textures, i think its a good fit.

Nike Team. Not sure if you can configure them on their website, but you can at least see the catalogs there and contact a nike team rep to place an order. Saw a HS team on ESPN this weekend with those same numbers from the Miami PC uniforms.

Yeah, you can order uniforms for almost any sport with most of Nike's custom fonts, like Arizona's, Miami's, Florida State's... etc.

I think a lot of teams that wear classic sets would improve their look with matte helmets.

For instance, Virginia Tech's glossy helmet really contrasts with their throwback style uniforms. I think a matte helmet would make their set exponentially better.

I'm curious to see what that'd look like, I absolutely love their current look with all white pants (no stripes) and white socks all the way up to the knees. i love that look more than auburn's O_O

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Archived