College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

I don't know the exact requirements, but I know you have to do more than be an AAU member. I think it has a lot to do with grad school programs, grant money received for research projects, etc.

I think the requirements to be Big Ten member #13-16 are going to be less stringent than the requirements to be Big Ten member #12.

I don't think the requirements will be less stringent. People forget that the Big Ten was originally formed as an academic association, not an athletic conference. They still consider the academic part of the conference as an important part.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the exact requirements, but I know you have to do more than be an AAU member. I think it has a lot to do with grad school programs, grant money received for research projects, etc.

I think the requirements to be Big Ten member #13-16 are going to be less stringent than the requirements to be Big Ten member #12.

Actually, they will be more stringent. First off, Nebraska provides nothing in terms of TV market. Nebraska makes Michigan State look like Yale. They are so far away from the pack academically, but the conference held its collective nose and let them in because 1) They are a huge name football school (and football is all that matters) and 2) adding #12 allowed them to add a championship game. The next schools will have to be great academically and offer TV markets they don't have now. And no, nobody is clamoring to add the coveted St. Louis market, so Mizzou is out of luck.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Actually, they will be more stringent. First off, Nebraska provides nothing in terms of TV market. Nebraska makes Michigan State look like Yale. They are so far away from the pack academically, but the conference held its collective nose and let them in because 1) They are a huge name football school (and football is all that matters) and 2) adding #12 allowed them to add a championship game. The next schools will have to be great academically and offer TV markets they don't have now. And no, nobody is clamoring to add the coveted St. Louis market, so Mizzou is out of luck.

The only schools I could see the Big Ten adding would be Notre Dame, Texas (only if they get rid of the Longhorn Netowrk) and maybe Pitt (if Penn St. allows it, which I doubt will happen). Oklahoma and Missouri aren't going to be added because of academics aren't up to par with other Big Ten schools and don't have much to offer in TV markets.

The gloves don't do the celebration, the players do.

The players wouldn't draw the penalty for flashing the glove logo if they, you know, didn't have the glove logo. The logos are there specifically for that kind of display and that display is an automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. It's an incredibly stupid and misguided gimmick by Nike and Adidas.

You asked why Nike makes gloves like these, and you got your answer. Money. They can't sell plane gloves for $75, and no one would buy a tshirt featuring a picture of generic, plain gloves. Its money. Its not a stupid gimmmick, its another revenue stream from a piece of equipment that previously would never be profit-generating item in the fan store. And it worked. To make money. Money. Money. Money. Companies want to make money.

Nike and Adidas don't give a rats ass about penalties. That is a coaches job. Nike's job is to make money. Players' "job" is to play football. Coaches' job is to coach (and that includes coaching players to not get penalties).

Nike isn't making their money back with these $75 gloves. The whole point is to get other colleges, high schools, etc and their players to buy newer or more expensive ones than they otherwise would have (and judging by the reactions I see on those kinds of forums, it's working).

The only schools I could see the Big Ten adding would be Notre Dame, Texas (only if they get rid of the Longhorn Netowrk) and maybe Pitt (if Penn St. allows it, which I doubt will happen). Oklahoma and Missouri aren't going to be added because of academics aren't up to par with other Big Ten schools and don't have much to offer in TV markets.

When the superconferences come, the B10 will be adding more than that. I see Mizzou, Cuse and Rutgers or someone like that as the 3 most likely. B10 will want tv markets since they are losing population and have a network to distribute.

When the superconferences come, the B10 will be adding more than that. I see Mizzou, Cuse and Rutgers or someone like that as the 3 most likely. B10 will want tv markets since they are losing population and have a network to distribute.

correct the next wave of expansion will be much more about tv markets and the size of the alumni audience than academics...larry scott tipped the pac 10/12's hand last year...their goal is to lock up every major tv market west of the miss. with ut and dallas being the crown jewel...my best guess is that their master plan is to create a 16 team super conference with 2 divisions: one being the old pac 8 schools and a revamped swc with the az schools, cu, uu, ou, osu, aTm, and ut...in my mind this is a done deal if ut could pull its act together...the question is that can you sub out ut and still get to this end game?..call the super conference the PacSW-16 so the interior schools don't feel like their being acquired even thought that's what it is.

applying that same logic to the b1g they have to look at big schools (alumni) in large media markets to fill those 4 slots...I think the top candidates have already been hit with mizzou, kansas, pitt, with rutgers/syracuse as long shots.

some of the old timers and traditionalists need to realize it's simply inevitable that superconferences are coming sooner rather than later...the money is just too big for the big conferences to not lock up every major media market within their geographic footprint...also look for the sec to raid the top acc schools.

lastly thinking really far out on the horizon the formation of the superconferences could spell the end for the ncaa...you could potentially have the top 64 + a handful of independents form their own elite athletics association and build their own post season tournaments and reap the riches of newly negotiated tv contracts in basketball and ultimately bring about the century long awaited football playoff.

correct the next wave of expansion will be much more about tv markets and the size of the alumni audience than academics...larry scott tipped the pac 10/12's hand last year...their goal is to lock up every major tv market west of the miss. with ut and dallas being the crown jewel...my best guess is that their master plan is to create a 16 team super conference with 2 divisions: one being the old pac 8 schools and a revamped swc with the az schools, cu, uu, ou, osu, aTm, and ut...in my mind this is a done deal if ut could pull its act together...the question is that can you sub out ut and still get to this end game?..call the super conference the PacSW-16 so the interior schools don't feel like their being acquired even thought that's what it is.

applying that same logic to the b1g they have to look at big schools (alumni) in large media markets to fill those 4 slots...I think the top candidates have already been hit with mizzou, kansas, pitt, with rutgers/syracuse as long shots.

some of the old timers and traditionalists need to realize it's simply inevitable that superconferences are coming sooner rather than later...the money is just too big for the big conferences to not lock up every major media market within their geographic footprint...also look for the sec to raid the top acc schools.

lastly thinking really far out on the horizon the formation of the superconferences could spell the end for the ncaa...you could potentially have the top 64 + a handful of independents form their own elite athletics association and build their own post season tournaments and reap the riches of newly negotiated tv contracts in basketball and ultimately bring about the century long awaited football playoff.

If superconferences are the end game, I think Texas is smart enough to know the Pac16 would be it's best option.

What makes you think Notre Dame will say "yes" now when the Big Ten has already invited them 52,380 times before?

Texas has no incentive to join the Big Ten if their network proves viable.

Joe Paterno has already said he'd like to see Pitt in the Big Ten. Penn State has no natural rivals in the conference as it stands now.

What makes you think Notre Dame will say "yes" now when the Big Ten has already invited them 52,380 times before?

Joe Paterno has already said he'd like to see Pitt in the Big Ten. Penn State has no natural rivals in the conference as it stands now.

pitt is your best bet

notre dame IF and i mean IF they go somewhere the will go to the big east

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Notre Dame is an interesting case. Yes, they have a big TV deal with NBC, but if the doomsday scenario happens (I'm a hoops fan first and foremost - and realignment-pocalypse would completely destroy the fabric of what makes college basketball great), Notre Dame could be left scrambling for a conference.

I'm not sure anything would make them join short of NBC opting not to renew. Evidently football independence is "key to Notre Dame's identity" as an academic institution.

Wait, what?

pitt is your best bet

notre dame IF and i mean IF they go somewhere the will go to the big east

I think if Notre Dame goes anywhere it's going to be the Big Ten. I also don't see the Big Ten expanding all the way to 16 unless Notre Dame is part of that. Notre Dame is too big of a target for the Big Ten to expand all the way to 16 (which seems to be the max any conference will go to) without ND being part of that. The Big Ten doesn't need to "settle" for Rutgers or Syracuse with Notre Dame still out there.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think people are looking at the wrong part of the county for Big 10 expansion. There was a lot of talk last year about the New York City market, with some combo of Rutgers, UConn and/or Syracuse, but if the Big 10 thought any or all of those schools could deliver the market, they'd have already invited them. To be honest, Penn State football resonates in New York City as much as any of those other schools. Pittsburgh is facing the same battle...Penn State already delivers that market.

Don't forget last year when Jim Delaney commented about the nation's population shift to the south. Many people assumed he meant Texas (and yes, the Big 10 would love to have the Longhorns, minus the network) but I see the Big 10 looking to the ACC when it's ready to or forced to expand. Maryland and Georgia Tech would bring in big media markets in Washington, DC and Atlanta, and both schools would be great academic fits. Along the same line, Virginia and North Carolina could be potential targets for a 16-team league, but things get messier with those two schools and state pressure to protect Virginia Tech and North Carolina State.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Uniforms, folks...UNIFORMS!!!

Those Maryland duds look like a steaming pile of hot refried garbage, The Swoosh is the devil, and death to anthracite and matte helmets!!

(There...let's see if that flame bait will get this thread back on track. :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Really like L'ville's new stripes. REALLY hate how they look on adidas' techfit. Grabage. Adidas should just tell teams they are incapable of doing stripes on those jerseys so teams quite ordering them. Just awful.

Yes, Buc. To get back on track:

With the football starting back up tonight, we'll see the debut of a few of the uniforms.

No funky combos or specialties for ASU tonight when they open against UC Davis. Gold, Maroon, Gold. Normal primary:

ASUvsUCDavis.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Really like L'ville's new stripes. REALLY hate how they look on adidas' techfit. Grabage. Adidas should just tell teams they are incapable of doing stripes on those jerseys so teams quite ordering them. Just awful.

Also, the TV numbers are WAY too small.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

With the football starting back up tonight, we'll see the debut of a few of the uniforms.

No funky combos or specialties for ASU tonight when they open against UC Davis. Gold, Maroon, Gold. Normal primary:

ASUvsUCDavis.jpg

That should be the only uniform they wear at home. Both Arizona and ASU have good color sets that look absolutely great in set combinations and neither school should deviate from them.

If superconferences are the end game, I think Texas is smart enough to know the Pac16 would be it's best option.

I think they are too...it was pretty convoluted but the PAC network has really changed things up quite a bit and it seems that they allowed for some flexibility to possibly add the longhorn network as a hybrid net that could be absorbed or evolve into an affiliate network or joint venture with the pac...in this instance the strength in numbers of all of the elite western university brands under one umbrella would be much more financially lucrative than texas on its own.

while the superconferences will be the place to be for making I'm also speculating that there is room for 10 or so independents in an elite association that could allow a team like notre dame or texas for that matter to remain an independent (and keep their tv deals) to compete for an at large bid in a playoff system.

ASUvsUCDavis.jpg

That should be the only uniform they wear at home. Both Arizona and ASU have good color sets that look absolutely great in set combinations and neither school should deviate from them.

FYI for ASU Blackout is Sept 9th vs Mizzou

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

I think they are too...it was pretty convoluted but the PAC network has really changed things up quite a bit and it seems that they allowed for some flexibility to possibly add the longhorn network as a hybrid net that could be absorbed or evolve into an affiliate network or joint venture with the pac...in this instance the strength in numbers of all of the elite western university brands under one umbrella would be much more financially lucrative than texas on its own.

while the superconferences will be the place to be for making I'm also speculating that there is room for 10 or so independents in an elite association that could allow a team like notre dame or texas for that matter to remain an independent (and keep their tv deals) to compete for an at large bid in a playoff system.

Huh? So you think Texas will get more tv money from a Pac16 deal than they will this season in the B12 + the LHN money? I sure as heck don't.

Archived