College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

For the first time in my life, I 100% love and 100% hate the same thing. Did not know it was possible but...Maryland somehow did it

The idea is good. The execution is anything but good.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I *love* 'em. Bold, brash, etc., in a way that the officially-released uniforms weren't. The other unis screamed "we want to be Oregon too"; these unis scream "we want to be *Maryland* - and no one else."

Except this is exactly like Oregon going for a crazy Pro Combat design that doesn't fit their color scheme

Except this is within the schools colors and identity. It's over the top, but still within.

On his radio show, Scott Van Pelt hinted that Maryland might be wearing a helmet that none of us have seen yet.

Jon Ritchie, NFL listen.png

No, we've seen the helmet they are wearing, but it looks awful on the field.

I love that helmet! What a way to represent your state, just put the state flag on the helmet! Excellent! It is definitely better than that black monstrosity they debuted last month.

spacer.png

I *love* 'em. Bold, brash, etc., in a way that the officially-released uniforms weren't. The other unis screamed "we want to be Oregon too"; these unis scream "we want to be *Maryland* - and no one else."

Except this is exactly like Oregon going for a crazy Pro Combat design that doesn't fit their color scheme

I don't follow the comparison. UMd is clearly using school colors, and only school colors. It's not clear that they plan to mix-n-match this jersey and pants with any of the formally announced unis. So what about this new design reminds you of Oregon?

Frankly, the uni looks like Discrimihater got a job at UA. :)

I thought everyone here was overreacting about the Maryland uniforms. So I turn on ESPN just to see what they look like and they're just about as bad as described here. Someone else walked into my room while I was watching and the first thing he said was how bad Maryland's uniforms were. Hopefully reaction elsewhere is the same and this is the only time those helmets and jersey see the field.

Funny how the people that like the uni's state it as an opinion and the people that don't state it as a fact. Art (and yes, uniforms/helmets these days are works of art) is up for individual interpretation. The sooner you realize that, the sooner a college football uniform won't be such a big deal that you'll feel the need to broadcast your disgust on a logo forum.

Um, broadcasting our disgust on various subjects and disagreeing with peoples' opinions is kind of the point of this forum.

Anyway, the biggest problem with this helmet is that it probably would look worse with any other jersey.

As an opinion? Yes. As a fact? No.

Comments like "those are the worst things in the history of bad things" seem to assume that the entire world thinks like you do. Clearly it doesn't. I'm just making an observation.

In any event, these are most likely akin to Nike Pro Combat and meant to be worn sparingly, so I wouldn't worry too much about that helmet not matching with other jerseys. IMHO, they are very modern looking and definitely different. The uniqueness alone is worth the price of admission.

WTF??!!! I'm watching the Maryland/Miami game and I don't EVER want to hear another bad thing about Nike again on here. Under Armour has now created the worst college football uniform ever. That :censored: looks like something that belongs in 'Alice in Wonderland'. Doesn't flow well at all. This is a shame cause I really like Maryland's new uni's this year. Too bad they didn't wear one of those sets instead of this monstrosity. :(

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I don't follow the comparison. UMd is clearly using school colors, and only school colors. It's not clear that they plan to mix-n-match this jersey and pants with any of the formally announced unis. So what about this new design reminds you of Oregon?

Frankly, the uni looks like Discrimihater got a job at UA. :)

I think Discrim forgot to tell us something. ;)

The thing is, these would be commended as a concept here for being "outside the box" and "unique," so what's so bad about them in real life?

6fQjS3M.png

So, for those who like the idea, but hate the execution: would the Calvert crest (black and gold) section look better if the black and gold checks were smaller? Ditto for the Crossland red and white cross?

It would have been better if the flag had been left off the jersey entirely and kept only to the helmet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So, for those who like the idea, but hate the execution: would the Calvert crest (black and gold) section look better if the black and gold checks were smaller? Ditto for the Crossland red and white cross?

It would have been better if the flag had been left off the jersey entirely and kept only to the helmet.

This. I still don't like the helmet but it would be much more tolerable with the normal road jersey.

You could drape these Maryland uniforms on an ambulance in lieu of sirens. Uggghhhh.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived