College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

show checkerboard pattern to any college football fan and they'll say Tennessee, its not an opinion that it belongs to the Vols

So they will say Tennessee when it is blue? I can understand checkerboard of puke orange and white.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

show checkerboard pattern to any college football fan and they'll say Tennessee, its not an opinion that it belongs to the Vols

Actually, only unknowledgeable college football fans will say that. Did you know that Fresno State uses a checkerboard endzone pattern? How many schools over the years have used a blank helmet, Northwestern, or UCLA stripes? Checkerboard pattern is not Tennessee's.

Actually, only unknowledgeable college football fans will say that. Did you know that Fresno State uses a checkerboard endzone pattern? How many schools over the years have used a blank helmet, Northwestern, or UCLA stripes? Checkerboard pattern is not Tennessee's.

Just like how Notre Dame owns diagonal end zone striping...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

If Kentucky football was a horse, it would have been sent to the glue factory decades ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Kentucky football was a horse, it would have been sent to the glue factory decades ago.

now you are just instigating. Wow! I expected more from you since your a long-time member. Respect is out the window.

He's not instigating it's true. Most SEC fans forget that Kentucky has a football team because they're as bad as or worse than Vandy.

Roll Tide B)

now you are just instigating. Wow! I expected more from you since your a long-time member. Respect is out the window.

He's not instigating it's true. Most SEC fans forget that Kentucky has a football team because they're as bad as or worse than Vandy.

Roll Tide B)

We have been to 5 straight bowl fans and if that is all we can get, then I am fine with that. We have 1 National Title in our history and Vandy cannot say that. As long as we put forth the effort and try, then I will support the team. Heck, I even support your TIDE when they play in national championship games. I have never said Kentucky Football was the best in the national, nor will I ever. I understand our place in football. We upset someone every few years, whether it is Bama, Carolina, Georgia, but we cannot get past Tennessee or Florida and I down with that. Most SEC fans do not forget about Kentucky Football, because it reminds them to come to the state, watch their team play or beat Kentucky and go to Keeneland (A horse track where Secretariat trained).

spacer.png

Small difference is, the Tennessee checkerboard comes from the same pattern being atop the tower on our most iconic building, Ayers Hall, which dates to the 1920s. We used the pattern on the field in just white dating back to General Neyalnd's era in the 40's, then revived the pattern with the orange and white checkerboard in the 60's.

Small difference is, the Tennessee checkerboard comes from the same pattern being atop the tower on our most iconic building, Ayers Hall, which dates to the 1920s. We used the pattern on the field in just white dating back to General Neyalnd's era in the 40's, then revived the pattern with the orange and white checkerboard in the 60's.

But does Tennessee own the checkerboard pattern? Does Tennessee have a patent or a trademark on it? If not, then it's free for anyone to use. I like Tennessee's end zone, but for someone to say that the checkerboard pattern is Tennessee's is foolish.

But does Tennessee own the checkerboard pattern? Does Tennessee have a patent or a trademark on it? If not, then it's free for anyone to use. I like Tennessee's end zone, but for someone to say that the checkerboard pattern is Tennessee's is foolish.

I'd put another SEC school adopting checkerboard on the same level on an SEC school besides Alabama adopting houndstooth. There's no patent or trademark, but really you just shouldn't do it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So they will say Tennessee when it is blue? I can understand checkerboard of puke orange and white.

I am of the belief that UK uses the checkerboard pattern on their football jerseys as a type of old western style brand. Further proof that Tennessee OWNS them. Maybe Tennessee would put houndstooth on their jerseys if Alabama beat them 26 straight times like Tennessee has beat UK

I have been a UK fan since 1981. I bleed blue. And orange and black for Oklahoma State since 1984. I remember when they last beat Tennessee in 1984 and I was in 10th grade when they last beat Florida in 1986. Until we beat either one of them, UK is never going to be considered a respectable football program. Sure we beat LSU in '07 and have had some luck in '09 beating Auburn and Georgia on their home turf, and we have some prime players this year, but it is the truth. We are building on the foundation that Coach Rich Brooks has established, but we are still some time away. Besides who gives a SH%T where the checkerboard came from, they are on the uniforms and they aren't coming off until NIKE DECIDES THEY COME OFF!

Call Supreme Commander Phil Knight and ask him the history, I'm sure he raped them off from somewhere.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

I have been a UK fan since 1981. I bleed blue. And orange and black for Oklahoma State since 1984. I remember when they last beat Tennessee in 1984 and I was in 10th grade when they last beat Florida in 1986. Until we beat either one of them, UK is never going to be considered a respectable football program. Sure we beat LSU in '07 and have had some luck in '09 beating Auburn and Georgia on their home turf, and we have some prime players this year, but it is the truth. We are building on the foundation that Coach Rich Brooks has established, but we are still some time away. Besides who gives a SH%T where the checkerboard came from, they are on the uniforms and they aren't coming off until NIKE DECIDES THEY COME OFF!

Call Supreme Commander Phil Knight and ask him the history, I'm sure he raped them off from somewhere.

Well it is nice to know there are more UK fans on this forum. The best upset ever was in 1997 when we beat Alabama 40-34, Tim Couch was awesome that day. But either way, you are right, until we get off of the losing streaks to Florida and Tennessee, we are not going to do to much. That is why we need to fire Joker Phillips and bring in a real football coach.

spacer.png

I don't know if Joker is the problem. Morgan Newton still hasn't come along and he's been here 3 years. I bet they are missing Ryan Mossakowski now since he went JUCO. Already 9 TD passes in 2 games.

My issue with Joker is that is was handed the position. There were other coaches out there that I felt were better to try to get than just hand him the reins. Mike Leach from Texas Tech would have been a good example of what I am talking about. As far as Newton, I compare him to Jamarcus Russell, he looks like he should have the talent, but when it comes down to it, he has nothing.

spacer.png

thats not the issue. the issue is the mnemonic value and association of the pattern in the SEC and specifically between Kentucky and its biggest rivals. Kentucky fans should recognize the checkerboard as a Tennessee element. changin it to blue may help a bit, but as far as im concerned UK has their rivals endzone art of their uniforms. thats a terrible branding idea

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

thats not the issue. the issue is the mnemonic value and association of the pattern in the SEC and specifically between Kentucky and its biggest rivals. Kentucky fans should recognize the checkerboard as a Tennessee element. changin it to blue may help a bit, but as far as im concerned UK has their rivals endzone art of their uniforms. thats a terrible branding idea

I do not think me or no one else has said this is an incorrect statement. This focus on this issue for me is whether the casual fan like them or not and if they are willing to spend their money on their jersey. For me, I like them, the uniform itself is a drastic improvement over their last set. The checkerboard pattern adds more to the uniform instead of two white stripes down the side of the jersey and pants.

spacer.png

Archived