College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

show checkerboard pattern to any college football fan and they'll say Tennessee, its not an opinion that it belongs to the Vols

Actually, only unknowledgeable college football fans will say that. Did you know that Fresno State uses a checkerboard endzone pattern? How many schools over the years have used a blank helmet, Northwestern, or UCLA stripes? Checkerboard pattern is not Tennessee's.

Small difference is, the Tennessee checkerboard comes from the same pattern being atop the tower on our most iconic building, Ayers Hall, which dates to the 1920s. We used the pattern on the field in just white dating back to General Neyalnd's era in the 40's, then revived the pattern with the orange and white checkerboard in the 60's.

But does Tennessee own the checkerboard pattern? Does Tennessee have a patent or a trademark on it? If not, then it's free for anyone to use. I like Tennessee's end zone, but for someone to say that the checkerboard pattern is Tennessee's is foolish.

thats not the issue. the issue is the mnemonic value and association of the pattern in the SEC and specifically between Kentucky and its biggest rivals. Kentucky fans should recognize the checkerboard as a Tennessee element. changin it to blue may help a bit, but as far as im concerned UK has their rivals endzone art of their uniforms. thats a terrible branding idea

I do not think me or no one else has said this is an incorrect statement. This focus on this issue for me is whether the casual fan like them or not and if they are willing to spend their money on their jersey. For me, I like them, the uniform itself is a drastic improvement over their last set. The checkerboard pattern adds more to the uniform instead of two white stripes down the side of the jersey and pants.

I have already seen the replica jersey and the print is so heavy it feels like they sewn on rubber sleeves. You could use them as oven mitts. It would be one thing if the pattern was fabric on the replicas but it is not. They also have a mannequin with the full authentic uniform here at one of the Dick's Sporting Goods and that one is the real deal fabric. Very lightweight and really looks good. The stripes on the pants are mesh and pretty cool.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

show checkerboard pattern to any college football fan and they'll say Tennessee, its not an opinion that it belongs to the Vols

Actually, only unknowledgeable college football fans will say that. Did you know that Fresno State uses a checkerboard endzone pattern? How many schools over the years have used a blank helmet, Northwestern, or UCLA stripes? Checkerboard pattern is not Tennessee's.

Small difference is, the Tennessee checkerboard comes from the same pattern being atop the tower on our most iconic building, Ayers Hall, which dates to the 1920s. We used the pattern on the field in just white dating back to General Neyalnd's era in the 40's, then revived the pattern with the orange and white checkerboard in the 60's.

But does Tennessee own the checkerboard pattern? Does Tennessee have a patent or a trademark on it? If not, then it's free for anyone to use. I like Tennessee's end zone, but for someone to say that the checkerboard pattern is Tennessee's is foolish.

thats not the issue. the issue is the mnemonic value and association of the pattern in the SEC and specifically between Kentucky and its biggest rivals. Kentucky fans should recognize the checkerboard as a Tennessee element. changin it to blue may help a bit, but as far as im concerned UK has their rivals endzone art of their uniforms. thats a terrible branding idea

I do not think me or no one else has said this is an incorrect statement. This focus on this issue for me is whether the casual fan like them or not and if they are willing to spend their money on their jersey. For me, I like them, the uniform itself is a drastic improvement over their last set. The checkerboard pattern adds more to the uniform instead of two white stripes down the side of the jersey and pants.

thats what i was getting at. i wouldnt think a UK fan would buy something that they associate with their biggest rival. or anyone else. i also "like" the UK uniform as its a nice aesthetic. but there is so much more to design and branding than looking pretty.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

today an article in the DM Register said, "Cyclones to wear white uniforms

Iowa State sports information director Tom Kroeschell said Wednesday the Cyclone football team will wear all white uniforms for Friday?s game at UConn.

It will be the first time Iowa State has donned white jerseys and white pants since playing at Colorado in 2006. Players will still were their usual cardinal helmets."

Here's the article (it can be found at the bottom of the page)

I hate all the ESPN uniform coverage. Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon have no clue about uniforms.

Why? They spoke the truth - some teams have tradition and don't need to change their uniforms all the time (backing Saban's Alabama stance); and they have no real beef with teams with no real tradition (Maryland) changing their uniforms often to get attention.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

there is a report that nike could buy stock in under armour are we witnessing its demise. this could elemante its CF program

Probably not. Buying stock is not buying the company.

its a major stock from what i read

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

there is a report that nike could buy stock in under armour are we witnessing its demise. this could elemante its CF program

Probably not. Buying stock is not buying the company.

its a major stock from what i read

Even is they took control of the company, they'd probably let it stay. It's a hot brand that makes a lot of money.

Agree. Teams like Alabama, Penn State and others have their own branding that supersedes anything Nike would do for them. Why be a brand of Nike when you are your own more well recognized brand?

great point...at some point you may see a school bring everything in house and develop its own sportswear brand to advertise on their uniforms...I know usc just signed a merch agreement with a clothing company run by jerry jones' son to produce all of their non on-field apparel as a private label and sell in their outlets (bookstores etc.) and to sell to mass retail...this is a very interesting concept and may catch some traction...I know they pitched tosu and texas as well but not sure if they got a deal done with either of the two.

some of these iconic schools and pro sports clubs like usc, texas, tosu, the cowboys, yankees, man u have so much brand equity and sell so much damn product already do they really need a branded sportswear company to help them sell their apparel?..why not eliminate the middle man and pocket the margin?

Agree. Teams like Alabama, Penn State and others have their own branding that supersedes anything Nike would do for them. Why be a brand of Nike when you are your own more well recognized brand?

great point...at some point you may see a school bring everything in house and develop its own sportswear brand to advertise on their uniforms...I know usc just signed a merch agreement with a clothing company run by jerry jones' son to produce all of their non on-field apparel as a private label and sell in their outlets (bookstores etc.) and to sell to mass retail...this is a very interesting concept and may catch some traction...I know they pitched tosu and texas as well but not sure if they got a deal done with either of the two.

some of these iconic schools and pro sports clubs like usc, texas, tosu, the cowboys, yankees, man u have so much brand equity and sell so much damn product already do they really need a branded sportswear company to help them sell their apparel?..why not eliminate the middle man and pocket the margin?

I didn't mean develop their own company, but rather their identity as is far superior and more entrenched in college football than anything new their suppliers could create.

At first I saw the gloves and thought "oh, it's not that bad." ....Then I looked to the left and thought "OMG HELL NO."

That'd better not happen.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived