College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts from the weekend, in no particular order:

LSU and WVU was hard to watch with all that yellow.

ASU's template is growing on me and it is not nearly as grating when the numbers aren't gradient.

Black-red-black is TTU's best look with these new uniforms.

Baylor's old green pants do not match their new green tops.

Boise's new all-blue look doesn't work for me.

Oregon looked good in school colors.

Okie State's grey-white-grey looked better than I expected.

Maryland played terrible, but managed to look even worse.

Wyo looked their best so far this season.

UCF's uniforms still drive me crazy bc of how low the numbers are.

My views of yesterdays games: Worst = * Best = *****

Florida vs Kentucky: I liked the white-blue-white yesterday from Kentucky, but I hope they do not do this full-time at home. I still prefer the blue-blue-blue, on the other hand, I hated Florida in Orange-white-white, I think they are better suited for Orange-white-Blue or Orange. ***

USC vs Arizona State: I love the ASU uniforms and this new one is no exception. The only thing I would change is that I would add the pitchfork as a striping pattern on the pants. ****

Oregon vs Arizona: I thought this was a great looking game. I love Oregons look no matter what they put on the field. As far as Arizona, I really like their uniforms, my only problem with them is 2 things, they jersey needs for piping and the helmet logo looks too small. ****

Arkansas vs Alabama: I really wish Arkansas would break out some red pants, it would make their road set so much better. **

Oklahoma State vs Texas A&M: I really liked the grey helmets and pants, but they either need to lighten the color on the helmet or darken the pants. To me, their new uniforms are the best so far this season. As far as A&M, that logo seems to big on the side of their helmets. ****

LSU vs West Viginia: Can you say too much Yellow? LSU has a great set and I would not change it for nothing. However, WVU needs an overhaul. The striping does not match on their set and the blue-yellow-yellow just didn't look good to me. **

spacer.png

Boise/Tulsa was an okay matchup, could have been better.

1kU6Lg.St.36.jpg

I always love Boise's all-blue on the blue turf, so that's a plus, and they've finally ditched the ugly folder-tab striping. However, the gradient gray numbers don't look so good... solid white numbers would be so much better. Meanwhile, Tulsa's managed to screw up Arkansas' awesome road template. The number font is so wrong for them, and the TV numbers on the sleeves are unreadable. The retro-for-retro's-sake gray facemasks do not go well with the modern uniform designs for either team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How could Tulsa's grey masks be "retro for retro's sake" when there's absolutely NOTHING retro about either set? Grey masks don't automatically make something retro. It does with a set like Notre Dame's, but not with these teams. It's just simply a grey mask in this case, in my humble opinion.

And regarding Boise, I actually like thier masks. It fits with the bits of grey they use here and there, so at least it seems like it has purpose. And I don't dislike Tulsa's mask, but I'd have loved to see what a gold mask would've looked like.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That's sort of my point. Gray facemasks are supposed to pay tribute to the days when all teams wore them because facemasks weren't being produced in colors yet. When you pair an overtly-modern uniform with them, suddenly they become totally anachronistic and odd. It's the same reason why I don't like how the Arizona Cardinals are still wearing gray facemasks. If you want to go modern, go all the way.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh I totally understand your point, I'm just saying when that happens, at least to me personally, it's not a "retro" element. If Tulsa were to have changed to a traditional or simple style, then yes, that'd certainly be RFRS. However in this case, I just simply see it as a grey mask and nothing more.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Kentucky looked great. MUCH better than their typical triple-blue high school look. Wish they would have the same number of stripes on the helmet and pants though. Love their shad of blue. My favorite in all of sports. Bad templates and a slightly different helmet color has ruined it in the past.

When you call them the Blackshirts though it gets confusing

The whole Blackshirts thing kind of creeps me out.

Blackshirts.

I mean if that was it I can just hand wave it as a coincidence.

Then you see this.

Blackshirts-logo.gif

Which, when combined with the Blackshirts name, brings to mind this...

UHSSAllegmeinevisorF.jpg

It's an unfortunate combination of words and symbolism. That's all I'm saying.

Ah well, I'll at least try and keep this thread on-topic.

West Virginia looks weird when they wear yellow at home. I know it's one of their two school colors, but it still looks weird. Yellow will always be a "road" color to me.

Their is too much yellow going on in that game. I thought WVU had thick striping on their pants, when did they change those?

They actually have the same striping template and colors on all 3 pants. The only thing that changes is the primary color. Each pair of pants has a main color (navy, white or yellow) and a thick yellow stripe and a thin navy pinstripish trim line. Therefore, on the navy pants, all you see is the yellow streak. On the yellow pants, all you see is the navy pinstripish trim. And on the whites, you see both.

When you call them the Blackshirts though it gets confusing

The whole Blackshirts thing kind of creeps me out.

Blackshirts.

I mean if that was it I can just hand wave it as a coincidence.

Then you see this.

Blackshirts-logo.gif

Which, when combined with the Blackshirts name, brings to mind this...

UHSSAllegmeinevisorF.jpg

It's an unfortunate combination of words and symbolism. That's all I'm saying.

Blackshirts were in Italy, in Germany they were the Brownshirts.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived