Inspiring Quotes about art/design

BrandMooreArt

1. "it seems perfection is attained not when no more can be added but when no more can be taken away"

2. "to repeat something good is to stand still; to take a risk is to grow"

3. "beat your competitor by being more thoughtful"

4. "try to make someone cry, laugh, or feel understood"

5. "find a good seat outside"

6. "aesthetics are fleeting. the only thing with longevity are ideas"

7. "if you need an analogy, use an animal"

8. "success is generating an emotion"

9. "every child is an artist. the problem is staying an artist when you grow up"

10. "great design is all about making other designers feel like idiots because that design wasnt theirs"

11. "have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it"

12. "a logo should identify something, then communicate a message about it"

13. "design is intelligence made visible"

14. "the best forms of art are from a broken heart"

15. "originality comes from our differences"

16. "the difference between simple and boring is simple is effective"

17. "dont confuse legibility with communication"

18. "if you cant be creative at least be interesting"

19. "identify the local cliche', then go in the other direction"

20. "good design is visually impactful or interesting, emotional, and has a clear message"

21. "deliver a kick ass product and be honest"

22. "create something that delivers a message"

23. "dont over think it"

24. "make s**t awesome"

25. "if it dosnt add anything, take it away"

26. "cluttered designs feels uncomfortable, add space to relieve that tension"

27. "learning is like the horizon, it has no limits"

28. "where the heart does not work with the hand, there is no art"

29. "sometimes you just cant explain it, but it looks and feels right"

30. "be well rounded but have a specialty"

31. "stop thinking 'campaign' and start thinking 'conversation"

32, "crazy is a compliment"

33. "the OK-plateau is when you turn on auto pilot and stop getting better at something"

34. "ideas come from looking at one thing and seeing another"

35. "the more passionate someone is about a subject, the more you have to listen to them"

36. "incubation is the new disruption"

37. "look through a telescope with one eye and a microscope with the other"

38. "good art is well designed, good design is artfully done" :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1. "it seems perfection is attained not when no more can be added but when no more can be taken away"

11. "have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it"

I wonder which quote to trust.

2. "to repeat something good is to stand still; to take a risk is to grow"

This is a really good one, and I wonder how it could apply to sports. If your first goal is to win a title, your second goal is to repeat that. How do you grow?

10. "great design is all about making other designers feel like idiots because that design wasnt theirs"

Doesn't really seem appropriate. Art isn't about putting down other artists. But if you're talking strictly about business, then OK.

18. "if you cant be creative at least be interesting"

This is where you open the can of worms. Not everyone has to be different, but you would think they could try to be creative.

Six, this is a collection of ideas and philosophies from many artist and designers. from different countries and different time periods. ive kept them because they struck me, and because they resonate with my own ideas and philosophies of art and design. they are not the facts of life, but represent a persons perspective that i find interesting and can certainly learn from. stop being so analytical, they're not meant to be taken as absolute truth and many can be interpreted in multiple ways.

if the advice of others dosnt suit you or align with your own ideals then pay it no attention. but do try to learn SOMETHING. trust me, they all were spoken by people who are far mor talented and experienced than you or i.

1. - it could apply to minimalism or it could easily support the designs of complex European architecture. i see it as knowing when a design is complete

11. - i see this as a case for not trying to please everyone. if something were perfect everyone would like it. just be good and try to reach your goals. and dont fear contradictions with the first quote.

2. - dont ask me, figure it for yourself. thats one of the points of the thread. interpret it how you want. i wouldnt apply it to sports. i see it as trying new things and growing as a person or artist. new experiences allow us to grow. new techniques and mediums allow us to be more well rounded artist. have no fear of failure either. try something new

10. - i like this one because its funny. try to have a sense of humour

18. - everyone runs into a creative block sometimes. this reminds me to stick to your experience and what is proven to work during those times. the design principals and going back to the brief. im also reminded of Paul Rand's quote "dont ttry to be original just be good". the only can of worms would come from your definition of creativity. thats not something to argue. by "being interesting" you are connecting with your audience. study the decisions made by others before you. see why it works. that could lead to a solution for yourself.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I realize what your intention was. I don't think they are exempt from being challenged. Remember, you told me to stop being analytical, but then you analyzed my entire post and made assumptions about me. I'm just trying to look at some of them from different angles.

#10 is 100% true. Design is a competitive world and if you're working in an agency and you come up with a great idea/design and the other artists don't sometimes the other artists can feel like idiots because you may have done something that they overlooked. The other thing, is design is internally competitive, so you might come up with a good design and then later you see a similar design for something else and you think, "I should've gone that route. That would've been better." Design is about competition, and it's not necessarily about being better than other artists, but it really is. The better designers are making the money, and if you're being beat out by another designer, then you suck and don't have a job. It's that brutal and that simple. If you want design to be feel good, then go grab some Crayolas, make a pretty picture and hang it up on the fridge for your mommy.

Archived