NFL all-white uni's. Who should/shouldn't list

JohnnySeoul

I can't stand the Bears all white because the pants stripe clashes with the sleeve and socks stripes and it bugs me.

I'll just use active uniforms for this

Shoulds

-Bengals

- Browns

- Broncos

- Cardinals

- Seahawks

- Vikings (but fix it so the pants actually line up with the stripe on the white jersey)

- Colts

- Jets (but they need to stop wearing the white striped socks with the white pants on the road. Green socks look good.)

Shouldn'ts

- Rams

- Bears

- Buccaneers

- Falcons

- Redskins

- Panthers

- Titans

- Texans

Can go either way

- Chiefs

- Ravens

- Eagles

And one I'd like to see: Chargers

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears are definitely a "should" in my opinion. Since the 50s (when our current uni design started) we've worn white pants on the road a lot more than blue, and to me the blue pants on the road just don't look right.

according to the gridiron database the current incarnation of white/white started in '57 and went through the '83 season then the blue pants were brought back in '84 and have been worn since with the exception being 2 seasons so you're looking at 27 seasons all white vs. ~25 seasons white with blue (minus the few seasons where they wore white/white and white/blue). I guess you could reason that 2 seasons plus a few games difference could be considered "a lot more" but I'm inclined to say that the navy pants have been just a big a part of their uniform tradition and even predate the white pants.

I'm actually cool with both and think that they should do 5 away games in navy and 3 in white.

I'm actually cool with both and think that they should do 5 away games in navy and 3 in white.

I disagree with that. I think teams should choose one set of pants to wear with the white jersey, one set to wear with the team color jersey and never mix and match them. It's ridiculous that the Titans could theoretically wear a different combo every home game (assuming they wore white thrice). The NFL does a good job regulating the use of alternate jerseys and helmets but fails on the pants. While nobody buys football pants, they are just about as big a part of a team's visual identity as the jerseys are.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've always liked the all-white look, but some teams look more distinct with some kind of colored pants.

Shoulds:

--Cleveland Browns. The occasional alternate orange pants should be worn.

--Indianapolis Colts

--Seattle Seahawks. Their all-white look is the best uniform combo they currently have.

--Denver Broncos

--Miami Dolphins. It only makes sense that the original Florida team wears all-white.

--New York Jets

--Cincinnati Bengals

--Minnesota Vikings

Shouldn'ts:

--Washington Redskins. The burgundy pants look better, as well as matching with the helmet.

--St. Louis Rams. They've worn gold pants (whether Athletic or Metallic) for so long, and it should stay that way.

--Carolina Panthers. I like their all-white, but I don't see any harm in going to silver pants full-time.*

--Tennessee Titans. I prefer the light blue pants with the road whites.

--Kansas City Chiefs. Red pants stands out more and matches with the helmet.

--Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Also like the white pants, but the pewter pants matches better with the helmet.

--Chicago Bears. Their blue pants are better with their roads.

No Strong Opinion:

--Baltimore Ravens. I like the all-white, but would prefer a return to black pants with a similar kind of stripe:

newdudsa.jpg

3869014060_580c05b314.jpg

--Houston Texans. Their all-white looks fresh, but I don't mind the blue pants.

--Buffalo Bills. Until I see them on the field, I can't say anything about them yet.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Should be all white:

Browns

Colts

Jets

Dolphins

Broncos

Should never be all white:

Steelers

Texans

Jaguars

Titans

Bills

Patriots

Chiefs

Raiders

Chargers

Bears

Lions

Packers

Saints

Buccaneers

Cowboys

Redskins

49ers

Rams

Seahawks

Could go either way:

Ravens

Bengals

Vikings

Falcons

Panthers

Eagles

Giants (but only if the non-white is gray)

Cardinals

No one else likes the Bears in all-white. Frowny-face. I'll give you that the pants stripes don't match. I'd say they should use matching stripes, but then you get the New York Giants dilemma of two pairs of white pants. Might be worth it anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Totally disagree on the Jets, love all-white, hate the pickle pants.

While I do like the Jets all-whites, hunter green pants on the road looks amazing.

JetsPatriotsFootball4.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

Agreed. When the Jets go all-white, they look too plain to me. I mean, obviously the Jets shouldn't go monochrome at home, but the green pants look great on the road. I don't mind the idea behind going all-white for big road games, it's just that it's too white when they pull it off.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Shouldn'ts:

--Carolina Panthers. I like their all-white, but I don't see any harm in going to silver pants full-time.*

The Panthers have tried pairing their white jerseys with silver pants before. The problem is that the silver they use is so light, it doesn't contrast enough and just ends up looking dingy.

I can't stand the Bears all white because the pants stripe clashes with the sleeve and socks stripes and it bugs me.

The stripe on the blue pants "clashes" too. It's the same stripe, just different colors.

The Bears are definitely a "should" in my opinion. Since the 50s (when our current uni design started) we've worn white pants on the road a lot more than blue, and to me the blue pants on the road just don't look right.

according to the gridiron database the current incarnation of white/white started in '57 and went through the '83 season then the blue pants were brought back in '84 and have been worn since with the exception being 2 seasons so you're looking at 27 seasons all white vs. ~25 seasons white with blue (minus the few seasons where they wore white/white and white/blue). I guess you could reason that 2 seasons plus a few games difference could be considered "a lot more" but I'm inclined to say that the navy pants have been just a big a part of their uniform tradition and even predate the white pants.

Wow, I didn't realize that. When I said that I was just going off what I thought I knew, I didn't look it up. So I guess I can't use the tradition excuse...well then, I guess I just prefer the all-white!

I'll be honest, I hate the Bears' all white look. True, you can chalk it up to me growing up with white jerseys/blue pants being the roads...I've just always felt it was a sharper look for the Bears than all white.

I'm glad the Packers don't have white pants, seeing as the Edmonton Eskimos traditionally wear similar uniforms, DO have both white and green pants (along with a gold jersey) and look stupid when they wear all white. I'd be all for the Pack having white pants, but only if they began wearing a gold alt jersey (cus all gold wouldn't look good on them, and green pants wouldn't work with any Packer jersey IMO)

Count me for saying the Oilers' white over blue > all white.

The Bucs, you could go either way, both in the creamsicle and pewter eras.

The Eagles, another team that could go either way, though then they should be wearing silver pants, but I digress.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Shouldn'ts:

The Panthers have tried pairing their white jerseys with silver pants before. The problem is that the silver they use is so light, it doesn't contrast enough and just ends up looking dingy.

They did once over a decade ago and there's barely any pictures of it and they wore their light blue socks with them. That's not enough of a sample size for me to make a decision.

The stripe on the blue pants "clashes" too. It's the same stripe, just different colors.

Yes but it's less egregious to me because it's on a different colored background. In my perfect world the blue pants would feature a white-orange-white stripe as that would mimick the middle part of the stripes on the sleeves and socks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

No team whose helmet isn't white should be included in this discussion. Why? Because then their uniforms aren't "all white".

Just putting that out there. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The white on white doesn't look terrible, but the white on burgundy looks better. But really they should always go white on gold.

5001218.jpg

Currently, the pants ... I liked the way they mixed 'em up last season between the yellow and burgundy with the white jersey, and the white and yellow with the burgundy jersey.

I liked these '70-'71 throwbacks alot ...

redskins-throwback-uniforms-vs-giants2.jpg

and these ... based off their 1965-1969 look were beyond-belief gorgeous!

RedskinsGoldPants.jpg

redskins_lg.jpg

No team whose helmet isn't white should be included in this discussion. Why? Because then their uniforms aren't "all white".

well the OP started by mentioning the Browns, so it's clear we're not talking about white-white-white, just x-white-white.

That being said -er, typed, I don't mind x-white-white under natural light and natural grass (though that's less of a big deal than natural light), but I think it looks horrible in domes, fake domes (like Indianapolis), and night games under artificial light.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

well the OP started by mentioning the Browns, so it's clear we're not talking about white-white-white, just x-white-white.

That being said -er, typed, I don't mind x-white-white under natural light and natural grass (though that's less of a big deal than natural light), but I think it looks horrible in domes, fake domes (like Indianapolis), and night games under artificial light.

That's strange, I see just the opposite. I think all white looks best on fake turf under the lights, as there is something cleaner about it. However, I think all white looks worst when on grass, when everybody's sloppy and muddy. I understand that some teams wouldn't look right if they weren't solid white on the road. However, I think colored pants are preferable with white, particularly when they exist but the unis are worn incorrectly. For example, the Seahawks have a potentially good set which is crap because they wear the wrong pants on the road and at home. I don't know why they wouldn't want to wear the blue pants on the road to not only show more of the team color, but diminish the amount of sloppy muddy white they show.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived