Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

Well this didn't take long: A Toronto based designer decided to go off on the new logo.

Frankly, I say :censored: him, I like the new logo.

bluejaysnotes.jpg

This designer = EPIC DOUCHE

lol! well said RedSox44!

Unfortunately, it's true. He's either a horrible designer who doesn't understand that this is among one of the greatest logo upgrades in the history of professional sports and actually preferred Silver and Black Jays, or he's just doing this too troll.

Either way, DOUCHE

spacer.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pMLB2-11683900dt.jpg

This my friends, is called a thing of beauty. It feels so good to have my favorite ball club back!

I just can't even comprehend how gorgeous that away jersey is.

For whatever reason, I've always preferred away jerseys to home jerseys (my only authentic jersey is a Jon Lester away); I like the Orioles away jersey more than their home, the Nationals away more than their home, if the Cardinals add "St. Louis" to their aways any time soon I'd like that more than the home (same for the Brewers), and now the Blue Jays.

I feel the same way, one reason I think is it often names the city. And one of the key reasons I like certain sports teams is I admire the city they come from.

Toronto is a great town...one of North America's finest, and this shirt proudly boasts that fact and it does so with a sense of history and an attachment to greatness that is worthy of the city itself.

The Yankees, I hate them, but I always admired their sinister grey/black away jersey. It just seems to ooze power, money and strength with a classic, sleek design. To me, that captures NYC perfectly.

One of the great things about the double-lettering for Toronto is it encapsulates the late-70's and early-80's, which was the precise moment when Toronto's prestige and power as a city really began to rise. Really the dominant urban center in Canada shifted from Montreal to Toronto around that time and Toronto enjoyed an enormous boom in the 80's. This jersey also touches upon and reflects on that great time in the city's history.

Concerning the blue alternate jersey...

Is it just me, or is the inner (blue) section of the split lettering narrower than the inner sections on the home and road jerseys? Seems to me like it should be wider.

Would've liked to have seen a ball behind the bird's head on the hat and jersey logos.

Love the uniforms, though. I think they look absolutely stunning!...especially the road greys.

Also...I'm a big fan of putting the logo on front of the jerseys. I'm both glad and relieved that they did it. I'm also relieved that they went with the split lettering on the road jerseys. I was nervous about it when I saw the lettering on the primary logo.

Unfortunately, it's true. He's either a horrible designer who doesn't understand that this is among one of the greatest logo upgrades in the history of professional sports and actually preferred Silver and Black Jays, or he's just doing this for too troll.

Either way, DOUCHE

Or... or... he isn't a troll and makes good points and the logo isn't perfect. And everyone stop quoting and requoting the giant picture.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Love the uniform set.

Thank goodness no more black or T-bird.

I also think the ball should be behind the bird on the shirts.

The logo itself, yeah, the leaf is too big and should connect stem to ball.

Great job, and now my two favorite Canadian teams (Edmonton Oilers being the other) have gone back to their best look.

Woo hoo!!

sig-1.png

Unfortunately, it's true. He's either a horrible designer who doesn't understand that this is among one of the greatest logo upgrades in the history of professional sports and actually preferred Silver and Black Jays, or he's just doing this too troll.

Either way, DOUCHE

Or... or... he isn't a troll and makes good points and the logo isn't perfect. And everyone stop quoting and requoting the giant picture.

DESIGNER IS A DOUC- oh, I see what you're saying. But in my opinion, he's just overcritcizing a fantastic upgrade, and pointing out several extremely minor faults that he finds with the logo and that most lay fans wouldn't even notice (except maybe the maple leaf being too big, he has a legitimate complaint there).

spacer.png

That's what we do on here, look at tiny details like that. Now that I found the huge gaps between the head and the red ball outline, I can't stop focusing on it. It's bad and it makes the head look detached from the rest of the logo. Of course, it means little since that logo doesn't appear on the uniforms (sadly).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I disagree; the gap seems appropriate for separation.

I'd also hate to see the ball on the cap; it would muddy it completely.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

One of the great things about the double-lettering for Toronto is it encapsulates the late-70's and early-80's, which was the precise moment when Toronto's prestige and power as a city really began to rise. Really the dominant urban center in Canada shifted from Montreal to Toronto around that time and Toronto enjoyed an enormous boom in the 80's. This jersey also touches upon and reflects on that great time in the city's history.

Good point, I like it. That's why I'm divided on the Maple Leafs going traditional or modern. As much as I get annoyed by the Kabel Bold use, the late '70s look does feel right for them and the city.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Look at the images on the main site of the current cap vs. the classic one. That logo pops much more. This one features the navy, which kinda blends into the background, and the top part, which is royal blue separated by a white outline. When you look at it from a distance, it all blends into the cap except for the white and the red. And something about the logo without the bird looks unbalanced.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well this didn't take long: A Toronto based designer decided to go off on the new logo.

lol! well said RedSox44!

Unfortunately, it's true. He's either a horrible designer who doesn't understand that this is among one of the greatest logo upgrades in the history of professional sports and actually preferred Silver and Black Jays, or he's just doing this for too troll.

Either way, DOUCHE

I don't have a problem with people picking apart logos (The "Whats Wrong with this logo" diagram for the Thunder was particularly on point) so long as they are legimate complaints. I did not find one in your diagram.

-The Ball stitching is not too sharp

-The eye highlight does not need to be completely round, it looks fine as is.

-Top font does not need to be hollow

-The Maple Leaf is the perfect size.

-Ball outline does not need to merge with the leaf stem, that would make it invisible.

There is nothing wrong with this logo or identity. In fact this is pretty much as close to a home run as you can get when it comes to rebrands.

Screen-shot-2011-11-18-at-12.28.15-.png

Just...perfect.

~~~~

After seeing the Dunedin logo, I am kinda glad the leaf is so huge. The way they ended the area under the leaf is terrible.

I concur. That area on Dunedin's logo looks hastily put together.

Upon seein the maple leaf, at first I was "wow, that's massive", but now I'm kinda glad it's there.

spacer.png

And their FSL affiliate in Dunedin has already joined the awesomeness party:

NEWDUNEDIN.jpg

Good way to make the D-Jays unique, yet still tie in to their parent club!

Umm... How about a big red star to fill the void? No?

6uXNWAo.png

Look at the images on the main site of the current cap vs. the classic one. That logo pops much more. This one features the navy, which kinda blends into the background, and the top part, which is royal blue separated by a white outline. When you look at it from a distance, it all blends into the cap except for the white and the red. And something about the logo without the bird looks unbalanced.

("Pops"? Ugh.)

The bird itself is a little unbalanced; it feels like it should be rotated just a bit counterclockwise.

Comparing the two... the bird with the ball is definitely muddled in comparison to the bird by itself. In all honesty, I'd love to see the bird by itself without the leaf. The leaf definitely looks a bit big when the bird's not on the roundel.

After seeing the Dunedin logo, I am kinda glad the leaf is so huge. The way they ended the area under the leaf is terrible.

Oof. That's a chop job. There's a simple solution to that: finish the curve up to the "eye line".

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

lol! well said RedSox44!

Either way, DOUCHE

I don't have a problem with people picking apart logos (The "Whats Wrong with this logo" diagram for the Thunder was particularly on point) so long as they are legimate complaints. I did not find one in your diagram.

-The Ball stitching is not too sharp

-The eye highlight does not need to be completely round, it looks fine as is.

-Top font does not need to be hollow

-The Maple Leaf is the perfect size.

-Ball outline does not need to merge with the leaf stem, that would make it invisible.

There is nothing wrong with this logo or identity. In fact this is pretty much as close to a home run as you can get when it comes to rebrands.

I just want to clarify that the diagram I found was posted on facebook by a friend of a friend. Here is the link.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived