Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

Umm... How about a big red star to fill the void? No?

Last time I checked Dunedin was in Florida, not Soviet Russia. How about a palm tree or palm frond?

A thistle would be good too, given Dunedin's Scottish heritage.

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The navy outline on the away wordmark is a real head scratcher. Further, I would've preferred the striping and numbers on the aways to be blue-grey-blue instead of blue-white-blue (although I realize they chose a look more in line with the WS era unis). The cap logo also looks a bit big to me, and the logo on the jersey completely unnecessary (although, again, I recognize that they're trying to stay true to the old look). I would've preferred numbers on the front (or nothing at all, like the Sox).

Let's compare apples-to-apples...most of these comparisons don't have the colors right:

Original logo:

TorontoBlueJays_PMK1a_1994_SCC_SRGB.png

New logo:

TorontoBlueJays_PMK1a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

As I mentioned on my blog, I'm putting together a Blue Jays graphics retrospective. Coming soon.

For those complaining about the lack of baseball behind the Blue jay on the jerseys an cap, MLB no longer allow images of baseballs to be used there, or it's always been like that an they're now actually enforcing it. It flew with the throwbacks but not a permanent set.

This is how I rate this year's uniform changes:

Tier 1 (Complete Overhaul)

Miami Marlins - B (84%).

Toronto Blue Jays - A (95%). I really like the new logo, blast from the past feel, and royal/navy blue combo.

Tier 2 (Significant Changes to Logo)

Baltimore Orioles - A+ (98%).

Tier 3 (Significant Changes to Uniform)

San Diego Padres - D (63%).

New York Mets - B (85%).

Tier 4 (Small Changes)

Los Angeles Dodgers - A (93%). For what it is, it's perfect. But it's not much.

25yzwqg.png

And their FSL affiliate in Dunedin has already joined the awesomeness party:

NEWDUNEDIN.jpg

Good way to make the D-Jays unique, yet still tie in to their parent club!

Yeah, that empty space on the side is really gonna bug me.

Agreed, they could have at least put a red palm tree to symbolize Florida.

Ugh...I still hate it when minor league teams, even those owned by the parent MLB club, go the easy route for an identity.

Eh, I like it. Not fond of the throwback trend though, which is kinda sad. Too many teams throwback, but the Padres are the only team I think an updated throwback would truly be an update. But no, they had to bring out that :censored:.

The Jays font isn't the best, the two lined one. Not really feeling it.

LifeOfBrian2006-11-19%2007-41-13-10.jpg

"There's no pleasing some people."

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

This is how I rate this year's uniform changes:

Tier 1 (Complete Overhaul)

Miami Marlins - B (84%).

Toronto Blue Jays - A (95%). I really like the new logo, blast from the past feel, and royal/navy blue combo.

Tier 2 (Significant Changes to Logo)

Baltimore Orioles - A+ (98%).

Tier 3 (Significant Changes to Uniform)

San Diego Padres - D (63%).

New York Mets - B (85%).

Tier 4 (Small Changes)

Los Angeles Dodgers - A (93%). For what it is, it's perfect. But it's not much.

Alright, I'll play this game (albeit it without the percentages)

Tier 1

Miami Marlins - D+/C-. The color scheme is, in my opinion, far too garish, I dislike the city name on home uniform.

Toronto Blue Jays - A+. All around fantastic upgrade. The logo is perfect, the uniforms are perfect. A perfect modernization of a retro set.

Tier 2

Baltimore Orioles - C-. I prefer the ornithologically correct bird over the cartoon bird. The slight redesigns to the uniforms and and the addition of the white paneled hat (though I doubt the onithologically correct bird would look good on the white panneled).

Tier 3

San Diego Padres - D. Just bland as all hell.

New York Mets - A. The subtraction of black is an A in my book.

Tier 4

Los Angeles Dodgers - A. Small, subtle changes that I, for whatever reason, really like.

~~~~

And their FSL affiliate in Dunedin has already joined the awesomeness party:

NEWDUNEDIN.jpg

Good way to make the D-Jays unique, yet still tie in to their parent club!

Yeah, that empty space on the side is really gonna bug me.

Agreed, they could have at least put a red palm tree to symbolize Florida.

Ugh...I still hate it when minor league teams, even those owned by the parent MLB club, go the easy route for an identity.

*cough* Pawtucket Red Sox *cough*

spacer.png

>>>>

I was sooooo hoping the Jays would go back to this look, and with the solid blue caps, not the ones with white in the front shield.

Love the slight tweaking .... They'll now look like the Jays again. Now if they'd only switch to natural grass.

Great move Toronto, they're gorgeous!

The Toronto Blue Jays just unveiled their new logo and uniforms. And they look pretty familiar:

jays-uniform-2.jpgpMLB2-11683900dt.jpg

I like 'em, mostly because I always liked the old ones. It's a clean look. The split font on the team name and the numbers is unique. Sure, some people may say it's too 70s, but the aggressive-looking bird and all of the stuff they've been using for the past several years is no less a relic of its time. With some time away and some perspective, the old look is pretty darn nice in my view.

pMLB2-11543572dt.jpgpMLB2-11683869dt.jpg

I wish the blue was a bit lighter, but otherwise, looks like the blue jays are finally the blue jays again!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

For those complaining about the lack of baseball behind the Blue jay on the jerseys an cap, MLB no longer allow images of baseballs to be used there, or it's always been like that an they're now actually enforcing it. It flew with the throwbacks but not a permanent set.

You're absolutely right. This is rule 1.11 (e) of the Official MLB rules: "No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball".

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

You're absolutely right. This is rule 1.11 (e) of the Official MLB rules: "No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball".

If that's the case, then how have the Mariners gotten away with the baseball in their ball-and-compass logo? That has appeared on every cap logo and above the 'M' in the home jersey since 1993, and in the 'S' on every road jersey since 2000.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I'm really not a big fan of these. They're cheap rip-offs of the early 90's set, and I think it cheapens them. The blue jersey looks like a late 80's-early 90's batting practice jersey. The home and road look too plain to me, and the logo on the chest looks out of place. Idk, just my opinion, but I think the 2004-2011 set was better. But ultimately, I think either of the 2 sets used in the mid-late 90's and late 90's-early 2000's are better than any of them.

I do really like the caps though.

How can you rip yourself off?

http://mypict.me/ind...hp?id=329958200

Outside of the rogers centre. I think the picture quality distorts the font a bit.

Great. Hopefully now they can remove the SkyDome logos still on some of the garbage cans.

I'd rather see them go the other way and remove "Rogers Centre". What an ego maniac Ted Rogers was, does he need his stupid name on EVERYTHING??? Couldn't have been "Rogers SkyDome"?

Oh no. I love the name SkyDome. I was just saying that they should've gotten rid of them by now. And to be fair, Rogers is the company, so it's not like he wants his name everywhere; more of his company.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn. Got a Bautuista jersey 6 months too early. cursing.gif But I will get that cap. What a beauty. Also, in the video, it said "The new logo for life" (or something like that). Does that mean that they'll stick with this forever? Hopefully. And for those of you saying "Choose an identity and stop changing", they have. Plus, 3 of their 5 logos have been pretty much the same.

Kind of a shame that Romero and Bautista had to break out in the Black Jays crap, but at least all our young stars will spend their primes wearing this.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

A thistle would be good too, given Dunedin's Scottish heritage.

I think you are right, it makes more sense for a Single A team to appeal to its local base than to appeal to an entire state (with a palm tree). Quick and dirty concept:

dunedin_jays.png

That looks inifintely better than what Dunedin has right now.

spacer.png

Eh, I like it. Not fond of the throwback trend though, which is kinda sad. Too many teams throwback, but the Padres are the only team I think an updated throwback would truly be an update. But no, they had to bring out that :censored:.

Are you cursing at the Jays or Padres?

The Jays font isn't the best, the two lined one. Not really feeling it.

It's a great homage to the World Series era look.

The first one, then the other! I'm not fond of throwing back, but atleast the Jays updated, and it looks pretty good. The Padres didn't throwback set wise, just used a recolored logo, and their set really isn't good.

Archived