ESPN DENVER.com

ldswoosh33

Haven't heard anything about it, don't think it will happen anytime soon either.

If I had to guess what the next city would be I'd say either the Bay Area or D.C. Maybe Philadelphia.

If they are going to do secondary markets (which Denver is) my guess is they'll do a whole bunch of them at the same time, and not one by one. You'll see ESPN Pittsburgh, ESPN Detroit and ESPN Minnesota in addition to ESPN Denver.

If that ever happened, all ESPN writers would talk about is how good/bad Tim Tebow will be, and John Elway's latest celebrity golf event. No love will be given to any other regional team. Not the Carmelo-less Nuggets. Not CU. Not anyone else. ESPN is better off covering the great northeast.

6uXNWAo.png

The big ones are Boston, New York, Chicago, Dallas, and Los Angeles. Those are the only ones that are run by BIG ESPN. If you have an ESPN Radio Station in your market the website should probably be named ESPNcity/areaname.com. I don't listen to the station but ESPN 540 here in Milwaukee has this... ESPN Milwaukee.

packchampionslfroh.png

The big ones are Boston, New York, Chicago, Dallas, and Los Angeles. Those are the only ones that are run by BIG ESPN. If you have an ESPN Radio Station in your market the website should probably be named ESPNcity/areaname.com. I don't listen to the station but ESPN 540 here in Milwaukee has this... ESPN Milwaukee.

Yeah would you look at that. If you type out "espndenver.com" it brings you to here: ESPN 1600

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

ESPNCleveland - ESPN 850/1540

ESPNCincinnati - ESPN 1530

But then I typed in a bunch (ESPNBayArea, ESPNSanFrancisco, ESPNOakland, ESPNMiami, ESPNPittsburgh, ESPNPhiladelphia, ESPNStLouis, ESPNMinnesota, ESPNDetroit, etc.) and they all came up blank though. So, I don't know. Hit and miss.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I hate to say this, actually I don't, but all these ESPN Whatever City are completely stupid and really aren't anything special. It's just ESPN reports and nothing worth reading that you can't read in each section.

Haven't heard anything about it, don't think it will happen anytime soon either.

If I had to guess what the next city would be I'd say either the Bay Area or D.C. Maybe Philadelphia.

If they are going to do secondary markets (which Denver is) my guess is they'll do a whole bunch of them at the same time, and not one by one. You'll see ESPN Pittsburgh, ESPN Detroit and ESPN Minnesota in addition to ESPN Denver.

I don't see there being an ESPN Philadelphia, because despite the relatively recent (5 years I think?) rise of ESPN radio, Comcast, WIP, and the networks have a stranglehold on the local media and there's really no room for more local coverage. ESPN nationally poaches Philadelphia talent on a regular basis, but it's really viewed as a 3rd or 4th option locally. ESPN would love to be the primary sports media outlet in Philadelphia, but it just isn't going to happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't see there being an ESPN Philadelphia, because despite the relatively recent (5 years I think?) rise of ESPN radio, Comcast, WIP, and the networks have a stranglehold on the local media and there's really no room for more local coverage. ESPN nationally poaches Philadelphia talent on a regular basis, but it's really viewed as a 3rd or 4th option locally. ESPN would love to be the primary sports media outlet in Philadelphia, but it just isn't going to happen.

If ESPN wanted to do an ESPN Philadelphia they could. Would they be the primary media outlet, probably not, but they aren't in New York or Boston either.

Again though I would say the Bay Area or D.C. are more likely to be the next market to get an ESPN (insert city here site).

Here is a partial list of domain names they have secured when ESPN Boston launched in 2009.

As far as cities in the future, I don't know. I do know print media is less and less a factor.

San Francisco/Bay Area: They do not much of radio presence there and most of the major print journalist who were let go or took buyout packages have already been been picked up by Comcast Sports Net. D.C. and Philly somewhat have the same Comcast issue in terms talent already committed to Comcast, but if they think they can get traffic from having a city specific site, they will try it.

Agreed, per usual.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Yeah would you look at that. If you type out "espndenver.com" it brings you to here: ESPN 1600

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

But then I typed in a bunch (ESPNBayArea, ESPNSanFrancisco, ESPNOakland, ESPNMiami, ESPNPittsburgh, ESPNPhiladelphia, ESPNStLouis, ESPNMinnesota, ESPNDetroit, etc.) and they all came up blank though. So, I don't know. Hit and miss.

They call it ESPN Twin Cities- http://www.1500espn.com/

And by the way they only make the big websites if you have all 4 major sports and some MLS, WNBA and a major college otherwise they wont bother. I really dont see why Denver wouldnt have one.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

And by the way they only make the big websites if you have all 4 major sports and some MLS, WNBA and a major college otherwise they wont bother. I really dont see why Denver wouldnt have one.

The bigger issue as said before is that outside of Boston (and WEEI), each of the other website cities are ESPN/Disney owned and operated radio stations. They have placed people and money into WEEI to make it work as an ESPN affiliate, so much so that they placed ESPN Radio employees in management positions there.

If ESPN were planning on doing a Minnesota site they probably would have done it around this time back in '09, when they had a ton of big local stories to cover: Brett Favre coming to town, the new Gophers football stadium, Brett Favre, the Twins' improbable late-season run and their last year in the Dome, Brett Favre, the end of the Wild's Risebrough-Lemaire regime, Tiger Woods blowing the PGA Championship at Hazeltine... and did I mention Brett Favre?

CCSLC signature.png

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

The bigger issue as said before is that outside of Boston (and WEEI), each of the other website cities are ESPN/Disney owned and operated radio stations. They have placed people and money into WEEI to make it work as an ESPN affiliate, so much so that they placed ESPN Radio employees in management positions there.

And WEEI ain't exactly what it used to be, take that for what it's worth.

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

Thank your for adding nothing.

ESPNSeattle - ESPN 710

Thank your for adding nothing.

Anyways, as I said, WEEI isn't exactly the powerhouse it used to be. Now did the lackluster broadcasts coincide with the ESPN Radio affiliation? Sure did. Why don't you go back to your cave and over analyze why CM Punk has new entrance music.

Milwaukee doesn't have the NHL (or MLS or WNBA for that matter), but they are flat-out crazy about the Packers and Brewers. Maybe enough so to bump them past larger markets in the queue.

Archived