North Dakota to Drop Fighting Sioux Moniker

Waleslax

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad, PC Gone crazy. The Fighting Irish are next.

Not likely, since Notre Dame football makes the NCAA piles and piles of money.

The "other", podunk little school with initials ND, not so much.

CCSLC signature.png

UND should just not adopt a new nickname, turn the Sioux logo over to public domain, and let the students/fans/alumni call the team whatever they want. If students/fans "happen" to show up to games with green Sioux-logoed apparel and call the teams the Sioux, the university can't/won't be able to do anything to stop it.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Agreed with Mingjai... this is a Baltimore CFL Colts situation... if the fans want to call the team the Fighting Sioux, let them. In the end, it's a nickname for the school's teams. The school's uniforms can easily just say "UND" and the fans can refer to the team by whatever they want. So they're not officially the Fighting Sioux- the NCAA can call the team whatever the heck they want to... in the end, their opinion actually doesn't matter if the fans overrule them.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

UND should just not adopt a new nickname, turn the Sioux logo over to public domain, and let the students/fans/alumni call the team whatever they want. If students/fans "happen" to show up to games with green Sioux-logoed apparel and call the teams the Sioux, the university can't/won't be able to do anything to stop it.

I hope they do this. They'll always be the Sioux to me, I've always liked the logo. I was on the Sioux Shop website, which is the campus store at the Ralph (best hockey arena in N America), and it looks like they're one step ahead of us. Their version of the NHL Draft hat, doesn't say Sioux once, just UND Hockey, UND Hat

x0y5nq.png

Not like they had the Redskins identity.

It is happening all over the world here in Australia there are some circles that want the Bombers to change their identity, as Bombers (planes) are offensive to people who have been bombed. :therock:

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Not like they had the Redskins identity.

It is happening all over the world here in Australia there are some circles that want the Bombers to change their identity, as Bombers (planes) are offensive to people who have been bombed. :therock:

I guess if people who have been bombed have access to TVs -- or are still alive, for that matter -- to know there's a football team called the Bombers, they weren't affected that badly.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

from my understanding, there are 2 tribes that have rights to the name sioux... one supports UND using the name, the other one says it's against their by-laws to vote on such matters, but isn't necessarily opposed.

that's 1 vote for sioux and 1 for indifference, in my book. they should keep it.

Good idea. Good on the NCAA for this rule.

If North Dakota can get permission from the tribes, they can use the name. If nothing else, this is a case of intellectual property rights.

horrible idea. bad on the ncaa for this rule.

the purpose of this rule was to outlaw offensive logos, mascots, and nicknames right?

can someone tell me how fighting_sioux_logo.jpg or und.gif or und1.gif is offensive, but notre-dame-fighting-irish-logo.jpg or 61509009.gif or lrg_Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish.gif is not.

if the ncaa wanted to go that route, all or none. the fighting irish cannot be summarily excluded just because.

pc gone crazy? damn straight. i can agree that some of the mascots and logos can go in the wrong direction towards offense, but the main reason teams call themselves what they call themselves is to HONOR the things they are calling themselves. you think that teams go around calling themselves cardinals, bulldogs, wildcats, eagles, generals, rebels, etc. are making fun of cardinals, bulldogs, wildcats, eagles, generals, rebels, etc.? its bass ackwards logic being applied by the ncaa but then again this is the ncaa where up is down, left is right, dust is wet and there are five lights.

The NCAA is hostile and abusive on this issue. Plus, the NCAA has decided it is above state law. It's just sick.

And, Gothamite, you have to understand about the tribes' role in this, particularly the Standing Rock tribe. The Spirit Lake tribe overwhelmingly voted for keeping the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, by a tribal vote. The Standing Rock tribal council, though, refused to allow a vote of the members of the tribe. If the tribal council doesn't allow a vote on an important issue such as this, then is it truly representing the tribe?

honestly, the biggest tragedy in this whole thing... isn't the political debate...

the sioux honestly have the most regal, respectful, intimidating, and classy logo in all of college hockey as far as i'm concerned. it's just gorgeous.

I am familiar with the situation.

The second tribe did not agree to license the name. The why or how is not particularly relevant.

ND couldn't get a license to use the name, so they can't use the name. Simple as that.

I'm in a similar situation right now; I've been trying to option a novel for years. The author's estate has decided that they don't want it optioned, so no go. Doesn't matter that my adaptation will be good, that I've solved the question of how to translate the literary conceits into a different medium or that my version would only help the author's reputation. Doesn't matter that I'm offering cash money. I'm not competing with anyone else for the rights; they're just not interested in an adaptation. They won't even hear my pitch. My hard luck, but entirely within their rights.

Maybe in the future, things will change. For ND and for me.

:(

Hang in there, Gothamite. You're definitely one of the more eloquent communicators here. That's not a backhanded compliment! I'm sure you'd be among the more eloquent communicators anywhere.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

honestly, the biggest tragedy in this whole thing... isn't the political debate...

the sioux honestly have the most regal, respectful, intimidating, and classy logo in all of college hockey as far as i'm concerned. it's just gorgeous.

Just for me personally, I feel the biggest tragedy here will be the pages of boneheaded blather from people who'll say for the 1000th time "How come callin' yerself Bears ain't considered offensive to Bears??"

Archived