North Dakota to Drop Fighting Sioux Moniker

Waleslax

Gothamite, I'm sorry what has happened to you. But to compare your situation with the UND/Standing Rock one is like comparing apples with broccoli.

And the how or why is particularly relevant, especially in this case, because you have to understand Standing Rock and its situation to really get a grasp the whole thing. The NCAA refused to do so, which seems rather silly for a bunch of supposedly educated people.

The bottom line is the NCAA acted like a bunch of dictators, even saying state law doesn't matter. Well, dammit, state law SHOULD matter, and NCAA officials shouldn't think of their organization as above state law.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, state law shouldn't matter. Not when state law was passed because legislators were throwing a tantrum because they don't like a private organization's rules.

I'm not saying my situation is a tragedy. Neither is the loss of a school's nickname.

My point was that whether turned down by conscious choice or political paralysis, there is no automatic right to license somebody else's intellectual property.

[quote name='oldschoolvikings' timestamp='1313244864' post=o

Just for me personally, I feel the biggest tragedy here will be the pages of boneheaded blather from people who'll say for the 1000th time "How come callin' yerself Bears ain't considered offensive to Bears??"

Amen to that.

There is no new name, which I think is wrong. There are plenty of good possibilities -- Roughriders, Fighting Norse, etc.

I have a feeling UND will go without a nickname for a few years, and that's a mistake. Had UND picked a new nickname right away -- a nickname that North Dakotans could get behind -- we might not have had all these bad feelings about the NCAA and its decision. Sure, there would still be some bad feelings, but they would have been softened by a good nickname that represents North Dakota well.

How can the name "Sioux" be intellectual property?

When it refers to an organized, established and Federally recognized tribe.

They have the right to control the use of their name. The NCAA allows universities to use specific native names sp long as they secure permission. ND was able to secure that permission from one group but not the other, so ND is out of luck there. Florida State fared better in their appeal, so they get to use a name.

I think the NCAA policy is an inspired one, an elegant compromise between cultural appropriation and athletic custom. It allows the people supposedly represented a veto over the use of their own creation, the nation and the name it's known by. Seems more than fair.

North Dakota should be more than willing to change their nickname. After this debacle, and seeing that the Sioux tribe wants NOTHING to do with the school, why would they want to continue to be associated with the them? I say just move on and begin a new tradition that the school, and everyone, would be proud to be a part of.

6uXNWAo.png

I am familiar with the situation.

The second tribe did not agree to license the name. The why or how is not particularly relevant.

ND couldn't get a license to use the name, so they can't use the name. Simple as that.

I'm in a similar situation right now; I've been trying to option a novel for years. The author's estate has decided that they don't want it optioned, so no go. Doesn't matter that my adaptation will be good, that I've solved the question of how to translate the literary conceits into a different medium or that my version would only help the author's reputation. Doesn't matter that I'm offering cash money. I'm not competing with anyone else for the rights; they're just not interested in an adaptation. They won't even hear my pitch. My hard luck, but entirely within their rights.

Maybe in the future, things will change. For ND and for me.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, however I can also understand where the Milne estate has a compelling interest in keeping "The Erotic Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" off the market without giving your pitch due consideration.

Back on topic, I think the University of North Dakota CFL Colts has a lovely ring to it. I endorse this.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, however I can also understand where the Milne estate has a compelling interest in keeping "The Erotic Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" off the market without giving your pitch due consideration.

Milne estate is fully on board. They know if would clean. up.

It's Disney that's the problem. Typical Mouse House: no vision.

Flickertails would be a great name for the team, though good luck coming up with a squirrel logo that looks as proud as the outgoing Fighting Sioux logo.

To me, the NCAA policy on this kind of thing makes perfect sense. If you can get the approval of the group you're name for, you can keep using it. If not, you're out. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Obviously, it became tricky for UND thanks to the one tribe opting in while another opted out, but them's the breaks.

I wonder what happens now with the rich blowhard who threatened to take back his shiny new hockey arena if the school ever changed its nickname.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived