New Western Michigan Helmet

thespleenenator

Agreed. University of Washington Broncos. That's what I see.

Might as well say it looks just like Wisconsin too. They have a W. So Oregon and Oklahoma are the same too? They both have O's on the helmet? Same with Syracuse and Stanford, both S. Miami and Utah, both U. Idaho and Iowa State, I's. CRAP, even Akron and Arizona both use A's. I better call our AD and have them change it before people around here start calling us out for it.

It's like every school is copying another one! #sarcasm

That might be the dumbest comment I have seen in a long time. Do you really think Washington and Wisconsin's W's are similar?

clearly the sarcasm was lost in the text.

He's saying that there's only so many ways to display a letter, of course there are going to be similarities

But he disproved his own point. The Miami U and the Utah U are completely different. The Oregon O and Oklahoma O are too. Obviously there are multiple ways to display letters.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spleen, this W that WMU has is far closer to the W that Wisconsin wore back in the 80s than the Washington W.

That is correct. Further, the Washington W they wore in the 90s and 80s is very similar as well. IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Western Michigan had a W on their helmets way back in the 70s if not earlier, which lasted up until they switched to the new bronco logo in 98?

Obviously there are different ways to display letters, but when a school has a tradition of using a different style, why switch when it closely (if that) resembles that of another school. Of course comparing Miami and Utah's U's are different, but now you know how ridiculous it is when you say WMU and Washington are similar. When WMU even has a damn bronco in the middle of it.

The amount of Universities in the US there has to be a few of them that have similar Uniforms, wordmarks and Logos.

The way to get around that is to have a different colour scheme to the University with a similar logo.

Why do they not have UWM on the helmets?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

The amount of Universities in the US there has to be a few of them that have similar Uniforms, wordmarks and Logos.

The way to get around that is to have a different colour scheme to the University with a similar logo.

Like I stated above, they used that W for about 30 years if not more. Why would they change it? Also WMU would look pretty bad on the helmet with that typeface. Only way they could pull it off is if they used This. But like I said why throw away tradition

Maybe because it's not the University of Western Michigan? lol

^ Worthless post is worthless

Like I stated above, they used that W for about 30 years if not more. Why would they change it? Also WMU would look pretty bad on the helmet with that typeface. Only way they could pull it off is if they used This. But like I said why throw away tradition

They already threw tradition away changing it before, i am only offering other avenues that they could of thought of that is similar.

Personally i like the Black W not with that type of gold though.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Gentlemen, its college football. Lets not act as if Western Michigan has any sort of brand equity. This is awful, but a proper redesign costs a large chunk of cash. Not a lot of schools/businesses/anything has that sort of cash lying around these days. Ask any freelance designer...they'll tell you all u need to know about the general market of design. This is obviously a quick intern/student scratch together type mash-up of old and new. It is horrible, however.

And using a collegiate W does not make them a Washington rip off. There are differences, but even still, that general style is basically standard college identity 101. It may not be original by any means, but one could argue it does send across the idea of "college" very blatantly.

If you'll look very carefully you'll note that the new WMU helmet decal is actually a cleverly re-worked and completely reconfigured/recolored iteration of the Clemson Tiger paw.

According to The Helmet Project, WMU started wearing a W on their helmet in the 76-77 season and it WAS the Washington W at that time.

The one they have now is similar only in the fact that it is a W. The W, however, is completely pointless with the bronco logo being the better option.

Spleen, this W that WMU has is far closer to the W that Wisconsin wore back in the 80s than the Washington W.

That is correct. Further, the Washington W they wore in the 90s and 80s is very similar as well. IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!

Yes, the old Wisconsin W had equal weights on every stroke, similar to the new Western Michigan W.

DXnwT.jpg

Was the Washington W really different back in the 80s and 90s? To me, it looks like it's been the same since at least the early 1980s, with a heavier weight on the negatively sloped strokes than the positively sloped ones.

SsyPZ.jpgfgPSO.jpg4SyeO.jpg

Even the butt-ugly purple helmets of the late 90s kept this line weighting, although it looks like the W is bigger and more vertically stretched:

VkUds.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

It looks exactly like the Wisconsin W from the years just before and upon arrival of Barry Alvarez, before they switched to the "flying" W. What is most odd is that the two items (W and horse) don't go together at all. It is as if they had two stickers and just placed one above the other. There has to be a way to integrate the two more coherently than a simple overlay.

Sad.

Honestly, the University of Washington should sue claiming confusion, as they used a capital letter "W" on their helmet. In addition, Washington, who has had a "W" on their helmet longer than Wisconsin had, should sue to stop Wisconsin from using a "W", as it may cause confusion. Doesn't matter how much you change it, a letter is a letter - and if you don't protect it, then you deserve to lose it.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived