Question about Cowboys wearing dark (blue) jerseys

DuckFats

Against which,if any, NFL teams have the Cowboys never worn their blue jerseys?

Far as I can recall the Cowboys have worn the various incarnations of the blue jerseys against the following teams:

Redskins

Giants

Eagles

Buccaneers

Panthers

Saints

Rams

Cardinals

Dolphins*

Browns

Texans

Colts

Jaguars*

*Not sure about these two but the Dolphins have tended to wear white at home.

Seems like a very short list I know, but the Cowboys have that tradition of wearing white at home and on the road, so is that list right or have I missed some teams and if so, which ones?

Peace out to the freaks!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far as I can recall the Cowboys have worn the various incarnations of the blue jerseys against the following teams:

Redskins

Giants

Eagles

Buccaneers

Panthers

Saints

Rams

Cardinals

Dolphins*

Browns

Texans

Colts

Jaguars*

Seems like a very short list I know, but the Cowboys have that tradition of wearing white at home and on the road, so is that list right or have I missed some teams and if so, which ones?

Dolphins (at least twice -- '78 and '96, for sure)

Here are some more I know for definite...

Bills (1984)

Steelers (at least once in the '60s, I've seen an NFL Films highlight)

Oilers (at least twice -- '74 and '82)

Jaguars ('06 season opener)

Broncos (1980 in Denver and a throwback Thanksgiving game in Dallas, '01 maybe?)

Chiefs (throwback game in '09 at KC)

Chargers ('83 and '86)

Panthers (two playoff games after '96 and '03 seasons)

Falcons ('89)

Bucs ('06 Thanksgiving Day, and once or twice in Tampa)

49ers ('79)

Redskins

Giants

Eagles

Buccaneers

Panthers

Saints

Rams

Cardinals

Dolphins*

Browns

Texans

Colts

Jaguars*

Dolphins (at least twice -- '78 and '96, for sure)

Here are some more I know for definite...

Bills (1984)

Steelers (at least once in the '60s, I've seen an NFL Films highlight)

Oilers (at least twice -- '74 and '82)

Jaguars ('06 season opener)

Broncos (1980 in Denver and a throwback Thanksgiving game in Dallas, '01 maybe?)

Chiefs (throwback game in '09 at KC)

Chargers ('83 and '86)

Panthers (two playoff games after '96 and '03 seasons)

Falcons ('89)

Bucs ('06 Thanksgiving Day, and once or twice in Tampa)

49ers ('79)

I kinda question the Broncos throwback Thanksgiving and Chiefs throwback games, because didn't the Broncos and Chiefs both wear orange and red (dark) jerseys? Yes, yes I know the Chiefs wore their Texans throwbacks. Is that Cowboys throwback considered a dark jersey?

They wore them against the Eagles on 11/4/07:

B_2.jpg

and of course the 1980 NFC title game:

museumtl1981Montgomery070509_display_image.jpg?1265323482

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Is that Cowboys throwback considered a dark jersey?

Yes, it is ....

That was their 1960-1963 home jersey ... blue with white shoulders & sleeves

This is their 1960-1963 away jersey ..... as you can see, white with blue shoulders & sleeves

01-07-1017Austin.jpg

1964 was the year Dallas switched to silver helmets w/ the shadowed star and began to wear white at home games.

and Cheo25 ... Many older BILLS fans probably don't even remember that game or who wore what in 1984, but I do. Buffalo wore white w/ blue pants (1st year of the red helmets) at home and we were 0-11 going into that Dallas game and beat them 14-3 with the Cowboys in their blue jerseys. Greg Bell ran for over 200 yards including an 85 yd TD run on the first play from scrimmage.

Nice one !! :grin:

You have to to remember that Dallas wore blue at home from 1960 to 1963, which means they did wear blue against teams like Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh. They also wore blue at Pittsburgh in 1967:

kgrhqjk4e3gue9ysbnewefy.jpg

kgrhqnise3qvmlk8bboeugq.jpg

AFAIK, the only teams they've never worn blue against are the Packers, Ravens, Indy Colts, Titans, and Seahawks.

AFAIK, the only teams they've never worn blue against are the Packers, Ravens, Indy Colts, Titans, and Seahawks.

. . .

Ahem .....

Thanksgiving Day 2007 ........... Brett Favre got hurt, Aaron Rodgers came in.

09000d5d804a70b4_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d804a777a_gallery_600.jpg

. . .

Ahem .....

Thanksgiving Day 2007 ........... Brett Favre got hurt, Aaron Rodgers came in.

Overlooked that one. You're wrong about Thanksgiving, however.

. ...

If anyone has NFL and AFL game-action color photos from 1960 - 1965 they've all gotta be priceless!! I've always had a fascination for that era.

I don't think I've ever seen a color game-photo from the Cowboys in their away whites from '60-'63.

I've still never seen a color game-photo from the Bills in the 1960 or 1961 seasons with the Honolulu Blue jersey w/ silver helmets bearing numbers, and the same for the '63 NY Jets with that plane logo in their final Polo Grounds season after Sonny Werblin bought them. The AFL-50 5-part documentary series did have Jets color footage the year Shea Stadium opened, but the game-action footage was limited and the plane logo was gone after their final Polo Grounds season in '63. The documentary showed the toy-jet running down the sidelines which was cool.

Back to the subject-at-hand, when Dallas did wear blue at home from '60-'63 they did have home games vs Min, Det, Chi, and Pit

Min '61 .... Det '63 ... Chi '62 ... Pit '60, '61, '62, and '63 ,,,,, Couldn't find any photos from any of those games tho'

I found some of these interesting:

1-Oct-1961 ... Dallas at Cleveland ▼▼▼

Browns 25 - Cowboys 7

2155753.jpg

7-Oct-1962 ... Dallas at Cleveland (notice the famous grass hill in the old Cleveland Stadium outfield end-zone) :grin: ▼▼▼

Browns 19 - Cowboys 10

3856518.jpg

30-Sep-1962 ... Dallas at LA Rams ▼▼▼

Cowboys 27 - Rams 17

2157523.jpg

Don Meredith 1963 (location & opponent unknown) ▼▼▼

5039012.jpg

Sorry to get off subject, but I found these interesting too:

The 49ers before they went to burnished Gold

18-Nov-1962 .... SF at LA Rams ▼▼▼

49ers 24 - Rams 17

4764234.jpg

6-Oct-1963 .... SF at Detroit ▼▼▼

49ers 26 - Lions 3

2156312.jpg

3-Oct-1965 .... Washington at Detroit ▼▼▼

Lions 14 - Redskins 10

2155538.jpg

You have to to remember that Dallas wore blue at home from 1960 to 1963, which means they did wear blue against teams like Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh. They also wore blue at Pittsburgh in 1967:

That's an incredible color combination. Maybe my view is influenced by the Cowboys of that era being my favorite team as a kid but the silver blue helmets are just awesome. Too bad their scheme is now FUBAR.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

. ...

I don't think I've ever seen a color game-photo from the Cowboys in their away whites from '60-'63.

Dallas at Minnesota (1961)

wt6jqcah45ctwcaa3lgr6ca.jpg

Back to the subject-at-hand, when Dallas did wear blue at home from '60-'63 they did have home games vs Min, Det, Chi, and Pit

Min '61 .... Det '63 ... Chi '62 ... Pit '60, '61, '62, and '63 ,,,,, Couldn't find any photos from any of those games tho'

kgrhquokise0s2ijlgybneh.jpg

That's an incredible color combination. Maybe my view is influenced by the Cowboys of that era being my favorite team as a kid but the silver blue helmets are just awesome. Too bad their scheme is now FUBAR.

Agreed. Navy and silver is pretty yawn-inducing. This, however, is original and attractive.

Archived