Seram Island Cassowaries

chickenfish13

Hey Guys,

I saw some program on TV about deadly animals, and they were talking about the Cassowary. I'd never heard of it before, but I thought it was a pretty cool looking bird, and the fact that it was considered deadly was pretty interesting. I went into Inkscape to see what i could do, and while I like the base of what I've got, i feel it's lacking a lot. Not to sound completely vain, but I think the last few pieces I've done have been consistently pretty good, and I feel like I'm taking a step back here. I want to further pursue this as I think it's something different and would be fun to build an identity around, so i need some help from you guys. Any and all C and C is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

seramislandcassowaries.png

I somewhat agree with the post above, sometimes the best logos use the fewest shapes and strokes. However, I think you could add just a little bit more detail. I looked at a few pictures of cassowaries, and it appears that they have fairly rigid horns (if that's even what you'd call it), and yours is smooth. I would give it a little something on the beak as well. I really like the idea of using unique animals for a team name, I wish there were more like this.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Beautiful color scheme, first off, and the idea/name is pretty sweet. You're getting better at your rendering, the eye detail, shading on the body, and the depth in the shield are all quite nice.

However. I think it would work wonders if you considered adding a dark gray into the color scheme and work that into the beak and feather (?) detail. I'd shorten the light blue curve at the top because you're giving the shape too much roundness that it's coming off as a bump on his head, when in fact it's much more of a wedge shape. With the nixing of that, I'd add some gray to the front part of that feather-wedge, and some in the top part of the beak.

Use this as a reference (I'm almost positive that you did):

CassowaryAppeal_Campaigns_9309_GettyImages_tileimg.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ok I'm gonna hate myself for this cos I'm gonna use a phrase that I cant stand and I feel is over used, but here goes. It doesn't "pop"

Having had a look at the image posted by another member you have the most vivid orange going on in real life and you've completely ignored it in favour of two blues and a cold graphite greyish black. There isn't anything about your colour scheme that indicates danger. Remember colours have significance beyond just looking good. Bees are balck and yellow for a reason, they're warning colours and people understand them without even realising it. Same applies with reds and oranges, vibrant colours give off messages of danger, the pallette you've chosen is cold and sombre.

Pep up the colours a bit and think you could be fine, the actual rendering is well done and true to the bird so first thing I'd do is try addressing the "pop" factor.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

OK, here's a quick update. 9erssteve, I agree with you on the somewhat dull color scheme, and the orange and yellow in the Cassowary where the first 2 colors I noticed. I didn't really ignore them, but thought that although they pop really well, they're so minimal on the bird itself I didn't think they should be used. Some Cassowaries I saw through just some simple googling hardly even have those colors on them.

Picture15.png

That being said, they are some very vibrant colors, so here's a couple color scheme options. 9er, if you've got specific ways you'd want to see the colors on the logo I'd be more than happy to try it out, because I wouldn't mind finding a way to fit an orange or yellow in there.

cassowaryoptions.png

with the update,I:

- tried to make the top part more block like instead of curved

- Took away the highlight on the top, and added a grey one leading down from the top to the beak

also CJ, that picture isn't the one I used, although it's nearly identical ^_^

thanks for all the c and c everyone, i think it's starting to look better thanks to you guys

nice updates, Chickenfish.

The shadows on the beak, and going up the "horn" did wonders for this logo.

I like how the new "horn" shape gives it a slight sense of motion, and makes it look much more sleek.

I prefer the original color scheme to the other two options you gave. And looking at the pictures posted on this thread of the actual bird, the original colors best reflect the real life colors.

I think adding an outline of grey or that lighter blue would make this logo look a little more complete.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

OK, here's a quick update. 9erssteve, I agree with you on the somewhat dull color scheme, and the orange and yellow in the Cassowary where the first 2 colors I noticed. I didn't really ignore them, but thought that although they pop really well, they're so minimal on the bird itself I didn't think they should be used. Some Cassowaries I saw through just some simple googling hardly even have those colors on them.

Picture15.png

That being said, they are some very vibrant colors, so here's a couple color scheme options. 9er, if you've got specific ways you'd want to see the colors on the logo I'd be more than happy to try it out, because I wouldn't mind finding a way to fit an orange or yellow in there.

cassowaryoptions.png

with the update,I:

- tried to make the top part more block like instead of curved

- Took away the highlight on the top, and added a grey one leading down from the top to the beak

also CJ, that picture isn't the one I used, although it's nearly identical ^_^

thanks for all the c and c everyone, i think it's starting to look better thanks to you guys

Sweet updates, and dam qwuick too! These things always take me ages! lol

I'd go with the middle one and look to make the eye orange and add the same orange down at the bottom left of the neck and possibly a small bit just under the beak. It's hard to notice on the photo you posted but it's there and it's really noticable on the other photo that's been posted.

I think with the eye in orange and the addition of the block at the bottom you'd be pretty much set.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I like it, but I can't get over the giant negative space in the horn area. It's the first thing that draws my eye. Maybe you could create two or three of that same gray area (on the horn) and shrink them down as they get closer to the back (if that makes sense?).

Loving the updated color pallet. Much more realistic. Nice work.

the logo really works well...nice updates and addition of colors...very unique color pallette - outstanding work there...

i'm not feeling the wordmark as much though...the capital R, L and D mixed with lowercase just throws my eyes off, and the w looks a little odd...

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived