Rick Rypien dead

TheClevelandHockey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its hard to imagine someone that was "living the dream" could be hurting so much inside.

Just because a person is a professional athlete making a lot of money, doesn't mean they don't have other things going on in their lives. That's what a lot of people forget. They have lives outside of what you see and are normal people too and have emotions and problems just like you and I.

Mental health issues don't discriminate between the rich or the poor, the high profile or the unknown. It's unfortunate that he couldn't shake his demons.

I'm assuming the contract will be voided, although I'm sure that's far from anyone else's concerns.

We don't know what he was dealing with, nor should we. The booze and painkillers were what dulled the pain, and it's apparent he couldn't go on without them.

RYP.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Today, we are all Jets who never left the runway.

You know....the "Today...we are...." crap is making any death thread unreadable at this point. Just my opinion, and I'm sure a few shots will be fired off in my direction for voicing it....So be it.

I totaly agree.

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

You know....the "Today...we are...." crap is making any death thread unreadable at this point. Just my opinion, and I'm sure a few shots will be fired off in my direction for voicing it....So be it.

I totaly agree.

The only death joke that was funny was when some Italian soccer legend died and someone posted "he's faking it." That's it. Today we are... is ridiculously dumb.

6fQjS3M.png

I totaly agree.

The only death joke that was funny was when some Italian soccer legend died and someone posted "he's faking it." That's it. Today we are... is ridiculously dumb.

Sorry guys, I think we've established that joke isn't going away. Let a couple people make it, and then we move on our way. It's not that big a deal.

The stiff-upper-lip culture of hockey has to be hell on players suffering with mental illness. There aren't many ways you can seem weaker to your peers and superiors than to "feel sad," which surely leads to a great deal of self-medicating and generally unhealthy behavior. When you play at a high level through physical injuries that laymen couldn't imagine getting out of bed with, there's no tolerance for having the sort of trouble that you can't overtly limp and grimace through. And that's too bad, because depression at its very worst is just as physically taxing as anything. No matter how much money they make to play a game, they're still people living with personal struggles and career disappointments and bad investments and plenty of other very human stressors that sometimes we can't handle like we should. Face it, this whole league has a severe drinking problem, and a not insignificant part of that surely traces back to guys numbing the pain that their unique culture doesn't allow them to feel. Rypien was not the only player using drugs and alcohol to treat problems that are in fact only exacerbated by those treatments.

People are going to talk about Fighting In Hockey and how it's the root of all evil, specifically how concussions lead to CTE which leads to depression, but it might be a chicken/egg dilemma in the case of Rick Rypien. Was he depressed because he got his head punched in or did he get his head punched in because he was depressed? Something to consider with a player as unorthodox and self-defeating as Rypien was.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I totaly agree.

Is it possible that the next death thread won't contain any "Today, we are all..." comments?

I totaly agree.

Is it possible that the next death thread won't contain any "Today, we are all..." comments?

No chance. Someone always has to log on and be "that guy". Even though they are fully aware it's way beyond stupid at this point.

I totaly agree.

No chance. Someone always has to log on and be "that guy". Even though they are fully aware it's way beyond stupid at this point.

add it to the ever-lengthening list of things the internet has ruined.

nhl94vansigpng.png

And another thing. "Depression" is a really crappy word for what killed Rick Rypien and others. We use the same word for a crippling and deadly mental disorder that we use for an indentation in a surface. This somehow manages to be as dysphemistic in its flippant dismissal as it is euphemistic in its circumlocution. It would be like if we called major cardiac arrest a "stop."

"Yeah, my Uncle Hans just died. His heart stopped pumping blood to his body and starved his brain of oxygen until his organs stopped functioning. The doctor said it was a pretty bad stop."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And another thing. "Depression" is a really crappy word for what killed Rick Rypien and others. We use the same word for a crippling and deadly mental disorder that we use for an indentation in a surface. This somehow manages to be as dysphemistic in its flippant dismissal as it is euphemistic in its circumlocution. It would be like if we called major cardiac arrest a "stop."

"Yeah, my Uncle Hans just died. His heart stopped pumping blood to his body and starved his brain of oxygen until his organs stopped functioning. The doctor said it was a pretty bad stop."

Such is the english language. At least it's not like Chinese where dePREssion and depreSSION are the different words.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Archived