Steelers Throwback Uniform in 2011?

Edge

Why does EVERY THREAD have to be about Cleveland??? STOP IT.

Every thread is either originally about Cleveland or is "hijacked" into a Cleveland thread.

Today we are all Clevelanders.

Unfortunately, Cleveland has yet to die.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ho-kay. Getting back on track, this is where we left off...

Back in the late 80s, the steelers tried out a gold alternate jersey during the preseason. They wore them at home, and I recall the backlash was significant. They looked like high school jerseys, and they were never seen after that.

Are you sure about that? NFL didn't allow alternate jerseys until 2002.

Back in the late 80s, the steelers tried out a gold alternate jersey during the preseason. They wore them at home, and I recall the backlash was significant. They looked like high school jerseys, and they were never seen after that.

Goth is right about the 2002 thingy. Sounds like a practice jersey or a sad attempt to replace the black jersey versus an alternate.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Goth is right about the 2002 thingy. Sounds like a practice jersey or a sad attempt to replace the black jersey versus an alternate.

They DID talk about adding a gold jersey for hot road games where they'd be forced to wear black, I'm very curious to see if it ever actually made it on the field.

This listing on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-KORDELL-STEWART-STEELERS-STARTER-JERSEY-48-RARE-NEW-/290532417756?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43a514e0dc has intrigued me, I figured it's never been worn on-field, but all of the details are correct...it's almost too good to be a fake. Anybody know the story of that jersey, if it's anything more than a fashion jersey? I kinda hope it's an unused prototype

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It's clearly just a replica, so it's no "unused prototype". Just a fashion jersey. I too remember them wanting to go with the alternate yellow jersey for early season road games and it being denied.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't the Steelers traditionally wear gold jerseys in training camp?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think they wore them then...it wasn't anything fancy, just yellow mesh with black numbers. I swear I remember seeing Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Bam Morris, et al wearing those during past Augusts.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They usually wear throwbacks against Baltimore as well.

For the regular season except for last year.

They also wear them on SNF. Pittsburgh has Baltimore on SNF. So I think that is a good bet. My other guess would be for somewhere in October. Because the Steelers wear their throwbacks in that span as well.

Archived