Double standard as far as cheating goes in mlb?

DuckFats

I've been rolling this around the past few days what with baseball fans getting all spazzed out over accusations that the Blue Jays have been stealing signs at the Rodgers Center for a number of years and we all recall the collective spazzing out not just of baseball fans but America in general when Sosa was found to have a corked bat a few years ago. There were even calls to have Sosa banned/lynched, and it was made out by the usual suspects in the baseball media as if Sosa was even worse then Pete (I bet on baseball including my own team for more then 20 years, then lied about it to three different commissioners faces and the public for another 15 years, then gave the worst non-apology in the history of the world all because I had a book to whore out and it was my last chance to get in the Hall of Fame because i have the most hits EVAR!!!) Rose.

Whenever a player is found to have corked or stuffed a bat with superballs, yes I'm looking at you Craig Nettles, they are made to seem more vile and evil then Hitler, but if a pitcher uses a spitball/shineball/vaseline/emory/scuff ball it is laughed off and they are celebrated for 'getting one over on the batter,' I'm looking at you Whitey Ford/Joe Niekro/Gaylord Perry. They are celebrated for endangering the batter even more then he already is.

Why the double standard?

This is one of those times where I have no idea what is going on.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

It's not that difficult to understand, though it doesn't have anything to do with Cleveland so we get that it might be tough for you to grasp.

I can certainly understand why the OP feels that way, but there have been plenty of cases (Kevin Gross sandpaper or emery board, the guy in Minnesota, etc.) where the pitcher was vilified for his actions. In general, yes - pitchers who cheat (not steroids, but doctoring the ball) do seem to get looked at as being "crafty" and get a good laugh, while batters are dirty cheaters who are endangering people by making the ball come off their bat harder.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's not that difficult to understand, though it doesn't have anything to do with Cleveland so we get that it might be tough for you to grasp.

I can certainly understand why the OP feels that way, but there have been plenty of cases (Kevin Gross sandpaper or emery board, the guy in Minnesota, etc.) where the pitcher was vilified for his actions. In general, yes - pitchers who cheat (not steroids, but doctoring the ball) do seem to get looked at as being "crafty" and get a good laugh, while batters are dirty cheaters who are endangering people by making the ball come off their bat harder.

Cool elitism, bro.

I really didn't think people were freaking out about the Jays thing...just typical ESPN Yankee/Red Sox homerism about how dey are de best lol no one should beat them obviously the blue jays are cheating and stealing signs and all doing steroids lololol.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Cool elitism, bro.

I really didn't think people were freaking out about the Jays thing...just typical ESPN Yankee/Red Sox homerism about how dey are de best lol no one should beat them obviously the blue jays are cheating and stealing signs and all doing steroids lololol.

Wouldn't elitism be if I thought that I was on a higher level than everyone else? That's not the case here. I simply feel that you are on a lower level than everyone else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This would be one of those times where the only appropriate response is to smile, nod, and back away slowly while avoiding eye contact.

When you use words like "lynch," you make it very difficult to take your posts seriously.

It is a fact. There were several calls for Sosa to be literally lynched and effigies of him were lynched and burned, but of course that could NEVER happen today in todays pleasant society where everyone smiles at each other and bakes cupcakes with extra frosting for each other.

Sheesh.

I never understood the uproar about stealing signs. Everyone at every level attempts to do that. In every high school dugout (any team worth a damn anyway) will have at least 1 kid or coach stare at the opposing coach the whole game and attempt to figure out their signs. Players at second relay pitches if they figure it out to home plate. Some players will attempt to "peek in" at the catcher. However that's usually meet with a pitch around your ear... Its part of the game.

However it only crosses a line when teams use video or put someone where they shouldn't be (center field and such)

The guy in Minnestoa was Joe Niekro and he was far from villifed, he was celebrated and cheered by many, including those scumclowns who worship and adore that serial adulterer David Letterman, who had Niekro on his show after he was caught with the emery board and the incident was treated as a gargantuan joke, with the scumclowns in the studio audience giving Niekro a seemingly endless standing ovation and Niekro making light of the fact that he could easily have killed any or all of the batters he had faced that night by walking on the set wearing a construction workers belt with a full set of tools. The :censored:s in the audience hooted and cheered him for minutes on end and Letterman endlessly praised him and made light of the incident, failing to condemn Niekro in any way.

Maybe it's because I don't know too much baseball history, but this guy threw a spitball, got caught, and went on the Letterman show? How could he have killed someone?

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

he was celebrated and cheered by many, including those scumclowns who worship and adore that serial adulterer David Letterman

Honest question: do your hands tremble when you post?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't get it. Our team steals signs all the time, and we're a high school team. That's just part of the game. They should learn to hide their signs better.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Right, that's just intelligence, simply observing and trying to figure something out, if you even can. As long as you're not using anything more than the naked eye, I don't see the big controversy. More blatant spying, or physical things like banned objects/substances is where the line is crossed.

DuckFats, why are you so angry?

I assume he lives in Akron.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The court of public opinion says you are guilty even with no proof of guilt. I like to use the steroid thing as an example. EVERYONE did not use steroids. 100% of Major League baseball players did not use steroids. But because several players got caught, now according to the masses EVERYONE did it. Is anyone out there with a sponge between their ears gonna tell me that Cal Ripken, Grag Maddux, Omar Vizquel, and guys like that took steroids? A statement like that is made every single day (and every single day on these boards) because people don't think before they say things. I know the OP used the word 'lynched' and it was certainly in bad taste. But isn't what most people do comparable to a 'lynch-mob mentality'? I (like a lot of you) think most people are idiots anyway. But let's try to limit the 'ready,fire,aim' approach.

Archived