New York Islanders Third Jersey Unofficially Revealed

nash61

i agree with you guys on no more script fonts. just tried a different look based on the seeming insistence from the isles on using a wordmark. so here's the revision.

islesthirdconceptrevision.png

so that took what? all of an hour and change for us to come up with something better? not to mention the insanely good work that far exceeds mine that is located right here on our concept boards. pretty freakin' lazy of the islanders.

and just to address what Brass97 said: yes, the fisherman might be cool to designers and even some islanders fans who appreciated the uniqueness of the jersey, but it's pretty detested by the majority of the fan base and represents some incredibly dark days. but as far as not listening to fan feedback and going off what marketers have to say...well...

that assumes that marketers have the best intentions for the team's individual merchandising sales at heart. which, as reebok has proven by trying to force the same crummy template on the majority of teams in the league, isn't true. why would you listen to any marketer that tells you once your entire fan base pleads for the return of the traditional uniforms and colors and you give them to them to much delight, you should create a mish mash jersey of some terrible corporate-inspired template? the thing is: the team ends up listening to "us" in the end anyway, because we vote with our wallets. if it's not moving, it'll be retired within a few years. if it is selling, it'll be kept, despite the fact it doesn't fit in with the aesthetic of the brand.

sig2024.png

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i disagree with the thought that this is the worst jersey in the nhl.

that dubious distinction goes to the colorado avalanche's alternate, followed by the normal home and aways. second worst alternate probably. this will only be used a few times a year, which makes it automatically less awful. the avs will be decked out in s**te 82 times a year.

i disagree with the thought that this is the worst jersey in the nhl.

that dubious distinction goes to the colorado avalanche's alternate, followed by the normal home and aways. second worst alternate probably. this will only be used a few times a year, which makes it automatically less awful. the avs will be decked out in s**te 82 times a year.

Explain please, you can't just make statements like that without any reasons for it.

As for the islanders jersey, I hate that font and I hate scripts on hockey jerseys. I much prefer the fisherman to this.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

And another jersey atrocity from a team that, since the 1980s, has been the NHL's standard bearer for the word "atrocity".

This jersey was much better than that black mess:

islanders_lede.jpg

There's no point whatsoever to throw black into the team's color scheme when an orange alternate would have been perfect.

Maybe it's just that design standards are in the toilet since Reebok toke over but the above jersey is starting to look pretty good.

Are there any real lighthouses in Uniondale/Hempstead?

Considering that it's about five miles to the nearest water, no. But there are plenty on Long Island.

There is one on the North Shore, north of the arena.

with credit to isles hockey 21 on the icejerseys board

colorschanged.png

Not a huge fan of circular crests in general, but I love using a rope as the border accent.

The best point we can take from this latest hideous unveiling is that uniform design is significantly regressing.

0821nyi2011a.png

My biggest beef with the above jersey is that it makes no attempt at representing an Islander or even imagery indicative of an island. We instead get a generic, collegiate looking script on a generic paint by numbers template. Not even the colours are Islander-ish

050113islanders2.jpg

Compare that to this jersey which featured an Atlantic inspired colour scheme, a water motif, and unlike any other design in franchise history a depiction of an actual "Islander." Considering how anal people on these boards can be about logos representing team names (The Buffalo Sabres is a great example) I'm surprised it doesn't get more credit. The civic aspect is also played up with the excellent secondary logos on the shoulders.

with credit to isles hockey 21 on the icejerseys board

colorschanged.png

The guy who made that ripped off ColeJ

Here's his other one from his NHL Rebrand series.

NYI-Third.pngNYI-logodetail.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The best point we can take from this latest hideous unveiling is that uniform design is significantly regressing.

0821nyi2011a.png

My biggest beef with the above jersey is that it makes no attempt at representing an Islander or even imagery indicative of an island. We instead get a generic, collegiate looking script on a generic paint by numbers template. Not even the colours are Islander-ish

050113islanders2.jpg

Compare that to this jersey which featured an Atlantic inspired colour scheme, a water motif, and unlike any other design in franchise history a depiction of an actual "Islander." Considering how anal people on these boards can be about logos representing team names (The Buffalo Sabres is a great example) I'm surprised it doesn't get more credit. The civic aspect is also played up with the excellent secondary logos on the shoulders.

The problem with the fisherman sweaters was that it supplanted a look associated with four Stanley Cup championships. Had they introduced the fisherman simply as an alternate it might have lasted/been better regarded.

Also, what works for one team may not apply to another. The reasons that make the Buffalo Sabres' buffalo/crossed swords logo great don't necessarily apply across the board. You have to take these things on a team by team basis.

0821nyi2011a.png

050113islanders2.jpg

I agree. I actually like the "wavy" template they used.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I problem with the fisherman sweaters was that it supplanted a look associated with four Stanley Cup championships. Had they introduced the fisherman simply as an alternate it might have lasted/been better regarded.

Also, what works for one team may not apply to another. The reasons that make the Buffalo Sabres' buffalo/crossed swords logo great don't necessarily apply across the board. You have to take these things on a team by team basis.

Again, I agree. It's just like with the Penguins' Robo pen logos and uniforms. They changed it right after they won back-to-back Stanley Cups. That's why people hate the Robopen.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

And another jersey atrocity from a team that, since the 1980s, has been the NHL's standard bearer for the word "atrocity".

This jersey was much better than that black mess:

islanders_lede.jpg

There's no point whatsoever to throw black into the team's color scheme when an orange alternate would have been perfect.

Maybe it's just that design standards are in the toilet since Reebok toke over but the above jersey is starting to look pretty good.

I have one of those jerseys with Rick DiPietro's name and number on the back (figured he would be a safe pick because he'll never be traded with that 12-year contract). I've always liked those jerseys because they were orange and they weren't simply a recolored version of their home and road sets.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

The problem with the fisherman sweaters was that it supplanted a look associated with four Stanley Cup championships. Had they introduced the fisherman simply as an alternate it might have lasted/been better regarded.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the four cups. The Islanders current home and away jerseys are perfect and should never be changed again. The point I was making is that from a design standpoint there is nothing wrong with the fisherman jersey. It's far superior to any other alternate take on the Islanders identity. As a third, it would be perfect.

Archived