ACC

Georgia Tech - Ramblin' Wreck

Virginia - Wahoos or Hoos

BIG TEN

Nebraska - Black Shirts

Texas A&M - Wrecking Crew (Defense)

PAC 12

USC - Men of Troy

Washington - Dawgz (yes, they are still stuck in the 90's)

SEC

Arkansas - Hogs

Auburn - War Eagles

LSU - Bayou Bengals

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

The Purple People Eaters were also known by a secondary nickname: The Four Norseman.

Which, of course, conjures up memories of the Four Horseman of Notre Dame.

This was only two players, but the M&M Boys is an appropriate one to remember during the 50th anniversary of what Maris and Mantle did.

Halos for the Angels. That's pretty easy. In any conversation with an Angel fan, they'll be interchanged within the same sentence. Personally, I say Halos more often. Rolls off the tongue easier than Angels, for me. Another more colorful one I like is Los Serephines (los sara-fin-ehs)

Lake Show for the Lakers. Since the Showtime Lakers, Lake Show has been used as the basic alternative nickname. Hell it's even spread across the hallway, and I've heard it riffed on as "The Clip Show," but that's silly. :P

Then as already mentioned there's Man U and the Red Devils, because well, it's in the damn logo lol

And if I can throw in an insult nickname that is almost taken with pride by some people, Los Doyers for the Dodgers. Always said with a stereotypical Mexican accent, it's kinda the way Dodgers sounds in a heavy Mexican accent and doubles just for the "doyyyy" idiotic sound. But the Hispanic fans have almost taken it as a badge of pride now, saying it in reference to the actual team. Wearing t-shirts with "Los Doyers" across the front.

I can't really think of any others for the Ducks, Colts, or Sun Devils, besides some individual players/groupings (i.e. the Ducks top line of Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf is named the RPG line for their initials and the obvious fire power connotation.) There's not much else to do with the Ducks that isn't lame and quack related. There have been some lame ones fans have tried out, but eh they dont work. And I'd wish that this era with Manning and the offense he commands had brought some cool nickname, but not so much.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Are y'all kidding?

"The Grits Blitz": 1977-79 Atlanta Falcons defense

"Lethal Weapon 3": 1990 Georgia Tech Basketball (Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and Brian Oliver)

"The Dome Patrol": New Orleans Saints LB core (Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, & Vaughn Johnson)

How have none of y'all mentioned the "Fearsome Foursome" yet? :P (LA Rams, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen n' em.)

We've had several "Thunder and Lightning" duos over the years, but one of my (homeristic) favorites was the combination of "WD-40" down in Tampa...Warrick Dunn and Mike Alstott. (Miss them days.)

Even though it was a relatively short-lived one, it still remains among my favorites: the 2004 "Band of Idiots" (Boston Red Sox).

This one doesn't really count within the context of this thread, but since the man may as well have been a one-man team for all those years, I'll go ahead and include "The Marshall Plan" (Marshall Faulk).

Oh and, though the height of it was short-lived, the name still carries on...and even though they're a rival team, I still gotta give a shot out to them ATL "Dirty Birds"!

Now, flipping this over to fan groups...don't know if we can count these, but since I like these names so much, I will:

"Black Hole" - Oakland Raiders

"Dawg Pound" - Cleveland Browns

"Sons of Ben" - Philadelphia Union

"Sea of Red" - Kansas City Chiefs

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived