Great team Nicknames

Dexter Morgan

Can't believe no one's said "The Tribe" for the Indians yet.

I actually had that on my list, but I deleted it.

How have none of y'all mentioned the "Fearsome Foursome" yet? :P (LA Rams, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen n' em.)

Um, one of us already did. :peace:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland's "Swingin' A's" of the early-mid 70s.

I always liked that name.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

We just had ChiSox, so we need to include BoSox.

Big Blue ? NY Giants

Orange Crush ? Denver Broncos

Redbirds ? St. Louis Cardinals

O's / Birds ? Baltimore Orioles

Bucs / Buccos ? Pittsburgh Pirates

We are Fam-a-lee ? Pirates (1970s)

Mackmen ? Philadelphia Athletics under Connie Mack

Pale Hose ? Chicago White Sox

____

Core Four ? Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Petitte (Yankees)

H2O ? Halliday, Hamels, Oswalt (Phillies pitchers)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I've always liked Ken Harrelson's "Good Guys" for the ChiSox (there's that too I guess). Yeah, it's simple and rather generic, but it just feels right.

What it feels like is unprofessional as hell.

I can't get through a White Sox broadcast without having an aneurysm because of Hawk's calls.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I've always liked Ken Harrelson's "Good Guys" for the ChiSox (there's that too I guess). Yeah, it's simple and rather generic, but it just feels right.

I can't get through a White Sox broadcast without having an aneurysm because of Hawk's calls.

Hater. Hawk Harrelson is the best announcer in the business.

How about nicknames for sports-related plays, places, or events? Twin-killing (double play) and twin bill (for a double-header) come to mind. Gridiron for football fields (kinda glad that's out of favor), the Brickyard for Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and of course the Green Monster (Fenway outfield wall) and The House That Ruth Built (Yankee Stadium).

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Hater. Hawk Harrelson is the best announcer in the business.

Oh good god. Like calling the Sox the Good Guys really hurts the other teams feelings...

Nah, I was only joking about the hater part. I really do think he's the best in the business, though, but that's entirely out of homerism since I am a Sox fan. :grin:

How about nicknames for sports-related plays, places, or events? Twin-killing (double play) and twin bill (for a double-header) come to mind. Gridiron for football fields (kinda glad that's out of favor), the Brickyard for Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and of course the Green Monster (Fenway outfield wall) and The House That Ruth Built (Yankee Stadium).

The Mistake by the Lake ? old Cleveland Municipal Stadium

The Friendly Confines ? Wrigley Field

The Big "A" ? Anaheim Stadium

Death Valley ? left-center field in the original Yankee Stadium

The Pesky Pole ? right field foul pole at Fenway Park

CK3ZP8E.jpg

No, but it is weak

FWIW, that originated in the early '90s. When the Sox switched to the black and silver color scheme, the marketing slogan for a while was "Good Guys Wear Black." I don't know if the slogan was inspired by Hawk (who actually was pretty good, back before he became a caricature of himself), or if Hawk just picked up the slogan and never put it down.

cgiebaycomwsebayisapi.jpg

Also, "Good Guys Wear Black" is a Chuck Norris movie, and I don't think I need to say anything else about that.

The Mistake by the Lake ? old Cleveland Municipal Stadium

The Friendly Confines ? Wrigley Field

The Big "A" ? Anaheim Stadium

Death Valley ? left-center field in the original Yankee Stadium

The Pesky Pole ? right field foul pole at Fenway Park

The Frozen Tundra - Lambeau

and multiple college stadium nicknames that i don't feel like getting into

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

The Razor- Gillette Stadium

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

DrinkScotch Center-Scottrade Center

Grindhouse-FedExForum

Horseshoe-Ohio State

Happy Valley-Penn State

Jobberdome-I think I only heard this once somewhere to refer to this site's favorite NHL arena :)

The Oven-Pizza Hut Park (which makes sense because the stadium can get quite hot in summer due to being almost entirely below ground)

Orena-old Amway Arena

Tomb of Doom-Memphis Pyramid

Big K-Kauffman Stadium

Taxpayer Field-Citi Field

The Big Owe-Stade Olympique

JerryWorld-Cowboys Stadium

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived