Great team Nicknames

Dexter Morgan

There's also a great nickname for the NFC North -- The Black and Blue Division. It was invented in the '60s and is still appropriate.

Man I really do miss the days of the NFC Central. Very good mention here.

Also, if I may...

"The Swamp" - Florida Field (Gators)

"The Igloo" - Mellon Arena (former home of the Penguins)

"Hat Trick" - three goals scored by a single player in hockey

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, so they phinally phigured out a name phor that starting quartet up there?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Halos for the Angels. That's pretty easy. In any conversation with an Angel fan, they'll be interchanged within the same sentence. Personally, I say Halos more often. Rolls off the tongue easier than Angels, for me. Another more colorful one I like is Los Serephines (los sara-fin-ehs)

Lake Show for the Lakers. Since the Showtime Lakers, Lake Show has been used as the basic alternative nickname. Hell it's even spread across the hallway, and I've heard it riffed on as "The Clip Show," but that's silly. :P

Then as already mentioned there's Man U and the Red Devils, because well, it's in the damn logo lol

And if I can throw in an insult nickname that is almost taken with pride by some people, Los Doyers for the Dodgers. Always said with a stereotypical Mexican accent, it's kinda the way Dodgers sounds in a heavy Mexican accent and doubles just for the "doyyyy" idiotic sound. But the Hispanic fans have almost taken it as a badge of pride now, saying it in reference to the actual team. Wearing t-shirts with "Los Doyers" across the front.

I can't really think of any others for the Ducks, Colts, or Sun Devils, besides some individual players/groupings (i.e. the Ducks top line of Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf is named the RPG line for their initials and the obvious fire power connotation.) There's not much else to do with the Ducks that isn't lame and quack related. There have been some lame ones fans have tried out, but eh they dont work. And I'd wish that this era with Manning and the offense he commands had brought some cool nickname, but not so much.

I agree with you on the "Halos", it's a very good nickname, even though I say "Angels" more often.

The Tribe - It's perfect.

I like "Halos" a bunch too.

Brownies, "Dawg Defense" from the old Browns is cool.

I also really dig "Bucs" for the Pirates.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

One nickname for Real Salt Lake fans is "The Loyalists". I always thought that was really cool. I own a shirt with "LOYALIST" printed on the front, and the RSL crest underneath. I wear it proudly! :D

As far as the team itself goes, "The Claret and Cobalt" and "Monarcas" are my personal favorites for RSL, among others. "Royals" is good, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived