Kevin W.

Best/worst looking rivalry trophy

Your post was very punny.

Easily the worst trophy is for the contrived "River City Rivalry" between Pitt and Cincinnati.

260371.jpg

1696870188_6edd95caf5.jpg

I'm a Pitt alum and it's embarrassing to see every year.

The platypus is worse. (Like really? Of all the things you could choose for the state of Oregon, a platypus is not even close to being something I'd pick. Like I get that it's a cross between a Duck and a Beaver, but either just go with a standard trophy, or pick something Oregony, like a tree or something)

that's why it's an inspired choice. It's perfectly Oregony.

I may be a bit partial, but my top two are the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk (retired) and the Illibuck Trophy. The worst is the Land of Lincoln Trophy, which replaced the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk.

I'm afraid "The Boot" as a trophy is about as contrived as the faux rivalry between Arkansas and LSU. A basic outline of the the states of Arkansas and Louisiana, which form a stylized "boot", rendered in gold. The presence of all the waterways and mountain elevations on the trophy, while geographically correct, seems distracting:

451px-The_boot_lsu-arkansas_display_image.jpg?1274472372

The trophy was created as an additional means to engender a big rivalry between the two western-most SEC schools once Arkansas entered the SEC. But as an LSU fan, I can tell you regardless of the game time (always the regular season-ender, like most big rivalries)or situation (e.g., beat the other team and we assured of spot in ____), it still does not seem like a rivalry to me and most other SEC fans.

I've always thought that Michigan State has the best one and the worst one.

Best is the Paul Bunyan Governor's Trophy against Michigan:

250px-Paul-bunyan-at-msu.jpg

Worst is the Land Grant Trophy vs. Penn State. Since it was already posted I won't post it again. It might break the board.

Astros vs. Rangers - Original Silver Boot

Later replaced by a smaller, classier trophy, this thing looks like the Cable Ace awards gay rodeo cousin. It's not silver and it's ugly to boot.

silverboot.jpg

Agreed, that is terrible. At first glance I thought that the trophy was photo shopped in.

Easily the worst trophy is for the contrived "River City Rivalry" between Pitt and Cincinnati.

260371.jpg

I didn't even realize this was a thing. Not the worst one posted so far, but not very good either.

260371.jpg

That thing is pretty stupid looking. I get it, but I don't like it.

The Reds and Indians have played for this thing silly thing for the last few years

ohio-cup-trophy-4.jpg

Ive always been partial to the Illibuck. It used to be a live turtle, but somebody killed it and they've used a wooden one ever since

illibuck%5B1%5D.jpg

jeweled-shillelagh.jpg

Really?

What the :censored: were they thinking when they thought this trophy would be a good idea?

Edited by wilson
took out pic of... something....

How about Chief Caddo?:

IMGP3759.JPG

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/trads/sasu-chief.html

Each season, SFA and Northwestern State University of Natchitoches, Louisiana play for the country's largest football trophy.

Chief Caddo stands 7 feet 6 inches in height and weighs over 320 pounds. The wooden statue is awarded annually to the winner of the Lumberjack-Demon contest. The statue originated in 1960 when longtime rivals SFA and Northwestern State decided to award the winner of the game a trophy. The two institutions settled on a statue of a legendary Indian chief whose tribe was responsible for settling the locations that became English-speaking Nacogdoches and Natchitoches.

The loser of the 1961 game would have a tree chopped down from its nearby forests, which would be sent to the winning school, who would have the statue carved. Northwestern State won that 1961 game 35-19, and SFA delivered a 2,000-pound black gum log to Northwestern State. Woodcarver Harold Green spent some 230 hours fashioning the statue. He was named Chief Caddo to honor the Indian tribe that not only settled the two communities, but provided safety for the early white settlers in the area. Historians say had it not been for the Caddo Indians, the Spanish and French colonists who came to the area would not have survived the onslaughts of Apache and Comanche warriors from the west, and the Natchez from the east. Also, French and Spanish writers of the time said it was certain, wise Caddo chiefs made it possible for the two European colonies to live as neighbors while their mother countries were at war against each other.

jeweled-shillelagh.jpg

Really?

What the :censored: were they thinking when they thought this trophy would be a good idea?

I don't think they were as concerned about accidental phallic imagery back in 1926. Nowadays, of course everyone will see it as a dick. What don't people construe as genitalia these days?

But yes, it is an ugly trophy.

I don't think they were as concerned about accidental phallic imagery back in 1926. Nowadays, of course everyone will see it as a dick. What don't people construe as genitalia these days?

3313145222_d7eb53918c.jpg

This dates back waaaaaaaaaay before 1926. :P

anyway....

[dildo image]

This dates back waaaaaaaaaay before 1926. :P

I'm well aware of the ancientness of dildos. I'm just saying that they probably didn't really look for the accidental phallic imagery in things like they do now.

Hey look, a post not about dildos and dicks

I dislike the O'Rourke?McFadden Trophy

2ndHalfEDIT029_t607.jpg

Its a grumpy old man in a football helmet.

Hey look, a post not about dildos and dicks

I dislike the O'Rourke?McFadden Trophy

2ndHalfEDIT029_t607.jpg

Its a grumpy old man in a football helmet.

Wait, what's this? I'm a BC fan and I've never seen this before. I didn't think of Clemson as a "Trophy" rival.