Sports Degrees of Separation

AndrewPF

Does anybody have any vicarious connections to notable figures in the sports world? Here's mine for example:

My girlfriend lives in Montreal, and she went to high school (or some school...I think it was high school) with the daughter of the guy who owns the Montreal Impact. In becoming the owner of an MLS expansion team, the Impact owner knows Don Garber, who knows David Beckham. Beckham knows all sorts of soccer superstars, along with teammates Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane, who also know their fair share of stars. One might say I'm loosely vicariously connected to some of the biggest names in soccer, I suppose.

Anyone else "know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy" in the sports world?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of my cousins knew Caron Butler

Among the folks I went to school with are Pirates catcher Jason Jaramillo and former Cincinnati PG Taron Barker

I played against former Wisconsin RB Brian Calhoun and was a teammate of former Ohio WR Will Norwood

A couple other cousins are distantly related to Magic Johnson on their father's side

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

STL FANATIC is a Cardinal.

You win!

But we're all Cardinals.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

A couple of my cousins knew Caron Butler

Among the folks I went to school with are Pirates catcher Jason Jaramillo and former Cincinnati PG Taron Barker

I played against former Wisconsin RB Brian Calhoun and was a teammate of former Ohio WR Will Norwood

A couple other cousins are distantly related to Magic Johnson on their father's side

You, sir, have made my day by referencing this man.

Anyway, my aunt is cousins with with Matt, Tim, & the other Hasselbeck(s).

my oldest uncle (my mom's brother) was invited to tryout for a mlb team (think it was the st. louis cardinals) but he turned them down. i went to the same school (i was in 7th or 8th grade) as mark messier son lyon (talk to him once).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

My girlfriend's parents split time in between a condo in Philadelphia and home in SC because her stepdad works in Philly. Apparently lots of Eagles and Sixers players live there as well, Michael Vick and Darius Songaila (when he was a Sixer) are the only ones I've been able to verify. By "verify" I mean that her mom was on the elevator and recognized Michael Vick from TV, and "very tall, large white man" + me searching the 2010-11 Sixers roster + pulling up a picture of Darius Songaila = "yep, that was him." From her accounts, Michael Vick is also extremely polite and smells very nice.

I once partied at Kenny Wallace's house in Charlotte.

Other than Winthrop basketball players currently playing overseas, the Winthrop coaching staff, and once scoring on Dan Dickau in a game of pickup basketball, that's all I got.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I spent half a season of my senior year trying to convince Sam Bradford (who was a freshman) to play for our high school hockey team but he chose to devote his time to the football team. What a dummy lol like football was gonna make him famous.. Oh wait he did go on to win a heisman and get taken #1 overall after missing a whole year (minus 2 1/2 games)

spacer.png

My father in law tried out for the KC Royals back in the old days and had a beer with George Brett.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I graduated in the same grade school class as internet all star and LA Clipper Curse victim Shaun Livingston.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My friend's dad grew up in Simcoe, Ontario, and was best friends with Rob Blake.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

In college, I used Matt Kittner's ID to buy beer when I was 19 and 20.

Matt Kittner is the brother of former U of I Quarterbarck Kurt Kittner.

Not terribly impressive. Let's go deeper.

Kittner's favorite target was 2011 Pro Bowler Brandon Lloyd.

Getting better.

Brandon Lloyd was the primary receiving threat for Tim "The Greatest College QB of His Generation" Tebow in the 3 games Tebow started last year.

Eh? Eh? Meh.

Archived