Sports Degrees of Separation

AndrewPF

I once rode in an elevator with Ron Artest, my friend asked him why he went into the stands in Detroit and he just said "I dont know"

Yeah, if I were on an elevator with Ron Artest, asking him anything about the Pacers-Pistons brawl is on my list, but only slightly above insulting his mother.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played against Chauncey Billups in high school and had some convos with him as he was breaking my ankles.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

As I was walking into the physical therapy place yesterday, out came this 6'8" kid who looked like he was 15... that's Gordon Hayward. ^_^

Nice!!

He's turning out to be quite the popular guy here in Utah. I'll admit, I criticized the Jazz heavily for picking him at first, but I'll gladly be the first to say he's proven me wrong. The guy hustles his @$$ off, can really score when he wants to, and is actually, I think, a much better defender than he was given credit for early on. I'm very much looking forwards to seeing what he can do for us in the future (especially now that Tyrone Corbin is the coach, and from what it looks like, Corbin LOVES the guy).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I once rode in an elevator with Ron Artest, my friend asked him why he went into the stands in Detroit and he just said "I dont know"

Yeah, if I were on an elevator with Ron Artest, asking him anything about the Pacers-Pistons brawl is on my list, but only slightly above insulting his mother.

He didn't seem to care, just said he doesnt know and continued talking to the person he was with

That's still not cool to ask about something like that. It's a particularly dark chapter in his life that really doesn't need to be brought up in casual conversation.

During the lockout, Jody Shelley, then of the Blue Jackets, rented the ice after my high school team's practice and he let us scrimmage with him after our practice was over.

It's amazing how good even no-finesse goons are at the game's basic fundamentals.

PvO6ZWJ.png

During the lockout, Jody Shelley, then of the Blue Jackets, rented the ice after my high school team's practice and he let us scrimmage with him after our practice was over.

It's amazing how good even no-finesse goons are at the game's basic fundamentals.

Along the same lines, I played against a guy who's now in his mid-late 40s who played in the AHL at one point. He's old and slow, but he's probably the best defenseman I've ever played against. It got to the point that I just shot from the blue line immediately upon entering the zone in hopes to catch the goalie off guard because I knew I wasn't going to get around that guy. There's a kid in my league who plays Junior-A somewhere, and it's just incredible how much of a drop off there is between him and the other really good players. His teammates can hardly skate, but he won an entire tournament almost entirely on his own.

My friend's grandfather coached George Karl when he played basketball for my high school back in the day.

My sister's best friend from high school's brother works for the Steelers, and has met every notable man on the team in the past decade. You can spot him on the sidelines near Tomlin at least once a game.

My fifth grade teacher was a bat boy for the Pirates when they made those runs to the NLCS back in the early 90's. Even then, he says, Bonds was a jerk.

This one is a hardly-considerable stretch - My eleventh grade street law I teacher grew up in the same neighborhood that Mario Lemieux currently lives in, and delivered pizza to his very house, albeit before he lived there.

oBIgzrL.png

• 4 months later...

My step grandfather went to Kansas the same time as Wilt Chamberlain and knew him. They had a few classes together. My step grandfather told us the story of how Wilt had to miss a few games one year because he had the clap.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

My brother fist-bumped Myers Leonard during pregame when his high school team played against Robinson High School. That is literally the best I can do.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived