Another full month of pink in the NFL?

dennisbergan

The NFL is going to continue an entire month (25% of the season) with the pink cleats and pink chin straps and such again in 2011?

Sure its a worthy cause, but that just seems like too much of the season. We all understand how horrible the disease is. But there are other horrible diseases out there too.

Each team should do it once a year and that's it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once possibly twice is fine but a whole month is ridiculous. a quarter of their games in pink? There are plenty of other illnesses and causes that don't get any recognition what-so-ever. I think the nfl goes along with it thinking it will help bring more awareness of the nfl to females and not awareness of the cancer to men.

once possibly twice is fine but a whole month is ridiculous. a quarter of their games in pink? There are plenty of other illnesses and causes that don't get any recognition what-so-ever. I think the nfl goes along with it thinking it will help bring more awareness of the nfl to females and not awareness of the cancer to men.

I agree

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is awful news. There's nothing I hate more in the world of sports than this. Breast Cancer is a worthy cause, the NFL treats it like its the only cause. One cause to rule them all. Couldn't they just dump a ton of money into the Susan G Komen bank account and call it good?

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

Its done pretty much entirely for marketing purposes. The NFL is trying to advertise the game to women. They did years of market research and found this to be the best way of doing it, hence the breast cancer movement has become very corporate over the last few years.

NFL-logo.jpg

This isn't something that attacts women.

bcanfllogo2008.jpg

This will and the NFL knows it. You look at merchandise sales to women since they started this caimpaign they have exploded.

Problem is as much as it attracts women it turns off men so it actually may be hurting the movement as a whole as this paper points out. http://www.rsm.nl/portal/page/portal/home/faculty/academic_departments/marketing_management/faculty/faculty/puntoni/jmr%20breast%20cancer1.pdf

Also corporations generally don't give much money in terms of donations. You are always better off donating directly to the orginzation itself rather then buying something with the idea that a few bucks will go to the orginzation.

I'm all for supporting breast cancer awareness, etc.

But I'm tired of seeing players with pink gloves and towels.

It's becoming somehow fashionable and I've seen more clips/images for annual highlights with the absurd gear on. Just puts me off.

Do it for a week. A month is just ludicrous.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

pmoehrin I understand what you are saying, but there have been studies done that have found women are put off by the use of pink to market breast cancer.

This article is evidence

Its the exact same thing that I posted. Only difference is that's the summary version.

That's also looking at it from the breast cancer point of view. It does help sales. Companies spend way more money then they will ever admit to on this kind of stuff. If it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

I agree that it's both overkill and crass marketing disguised as genuine concern, and I dislike it strongly for both reasons. But if this is the route the NFL's going to take, they should go all-out and have each month of the season dedicated to A Very Important Cause.

September will be NFL Heart Disease Awareness Month. Players will wear red accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

October will be NFL Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear pink accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

November will be NFL Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear light blue accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

December will be NFL Alcoholism Awareness Month. Kerry Collins will start at quarterback.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I agree that it's both overkill and crass marketing disguised as genuine concern, and I dislike it strongly for both reasons. But if this is the route the NFL's going to take, they should go all-out and have each month of the season dedicated to A Very Important Cause.

September will be NFL Heart Disease Awareness Month. Players will wear red accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

October will be NFL Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear pink accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

November will be NFL Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear light blue accessories, ribbon decals, and apparel accents.

December will be NFL Alcoholism Awareness Month. Kerry Collins will start at quarterback.

August will be NFL Head Trauma Awareness Month. The League will suppress studies into the long term health consequences of playing football.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I agree that it should only be for a week. A whole month dedicated to just one illness? Not trying to sound sexist, but we don't see blue ribbon month for prostate cancer awareness. Not even a week. Again, it's just another ilness I though of off the top of my head. What about red for leukemia. I suppose that it's because pink is not a color used in football so it would be easier to identify teams wearing pink, but why a whole month? Pretty soon, many football highlights are just going to filled with these pink armbands, gloves, towels, and cleats. What's next, pink versions of teams' jerseys for a whole month *shudders*? The NFL seriously needs to rethink their program. Does anyone know if proceeds are going to organizations that specialize in breast cancer research, or if this is just a color thing?

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

This will and the NFL knows it. You look at merchandise sales to women since they started this caimpaign they have exploded.

Problem is as much as it attracts women it turns off men so it actually may be hurting the movement as a whole as this paper points out. http://www.rsm.nl/portal/page/portal/home/faculty/academic_departments/marketing_management/faculty/faculty/puntoni/jmr%20breast%20cancer1.pdf

Also corporations generally don't give much money in terms of donations. You are always better off donating directly to the orginzation itself rather then buying something with the idea that a few bucks will go to the orginzation.

You said it attracts women , but turns off men, while I said it turns off women and attracts men. :wacko:

I think you misread my post or made a typo in your post.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Hey Dennis, what are the Cowboys going to be wearing this week?

Anyway I think this is dumb. I'm quite "aware" of the horrific disease that is cancer. Why not just have "cancer awareness week?"

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

The NFL is going to continue an entire month (25% of the season) with the pink cleats and pink chin straps and such again in 2011?

Sure its a worthy cause, but that just seems like too much of the season. We all understand how horrible the disease is. But there are other horrible diseases out there too.

That is why it is a month long. So every team can honor survivors and their families, and work with a local ZTA chapter during a home game.

The NFL did get lucky (or unlucky for those who dismiss the cause) as there are five weekends in October this year. However, the Bye week starts in Week 5 (Oct. 9-10), plus a team like the Saints only play at home once in October. The Saints are on the road weeks 4,5,6 and 8.

The Titans have two road games to start the month, followed by their bye week.

Miami has road game/bye/road game to start the month and just one October home game as well.

That is why it is a month long. So every team can honor survivors and their families, and work with a local ZTA chapter during a home game.

The NFL did get lucky (or unlucky for those who dismiss the cause) as there are five weekends in October this year. However, the Bye week starts in Week 5 (Oct. 9-10), plus a team like the Saints only play at home once in October. The Saints are on the road weeks 4,5,6 and 8.

Miami has road game/bye/road game to start the month and just one October home game as well.

I don't think anyone is dismissing the cause. The idea that this 'raises awareness' is ridiculous. If people aren't yet aware of breast cancer, they haven't been living in the United States for the last 10 years. Even Major League Baseball, who have 162 game seasons only do the pink bats and gear once a year (and they also have a reciprocating light blue prostate cancer awareness day on Father's Day).

This is nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy, and I don't think the NFL should wear pink at all–not for a week and certainly not for an entire month. They can sell all the pink merchandise they want, run as many commercials as they want, heck, even paint a pink ribbon at midfield, but leave the uniforms out of it.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I don't think anyone is dismissing the cause. The idea that this 'raises awareness' is ridiculous. If people aren't yet aware of breast cancer, they haven't been living in the United States for the last 10 years. Even Major League Baseball, who have 162 game seasons only do the pink bats and gear once a year (and they also have a reciprocating light blue prostate cancer awareness day on Father's Day).

This is nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy, and I don't think the NFL should wear pink at all?not for a week and certainly not for an entire month. They can sell all the pink merchandise they want, run as many commercials as they want, heck, even paint a pink ribbon at midfield, but leave the uniforms out of it.

See the post after yours and see how all of it is dismissed/disliked/hated. You should already know that this thread and this board is misogynistic and most posters don't want their sports, "tricked up" with female things.

Archived