Packers to wear 1929 Throwbacks

Sec19Row53

I have said several times that matte helmets can't be worn more than once without looking like crap. I seem to remember VT's black helmets last year looking scuffed to hell by the 4th quarter. I have seen plastics (toys and computers off the top of my head) with a similar finish to the matte helmets and those plastics mark up very easily and show every nick. The Chicago Bears have been wearing these helmets for a month and already they are all marked up. The Bears and Steelers helmets always look all marked up, but I haven't noticed it on teams with glossy helmets. Gloss hide marks better than non-shiny ones. I can't imagine matte helmets wouldn't be worse than those helmets.

Also, this is really the first year of matte being a huge trend. We will see how this goes, but as far as I know all previous matte helmets have been worn only once. I don't know if any of the planned matte helmets this year will be worn more than once, but if they are, I guess we will see if the helmets look like crap after the first wearing.

The Bears don't wear matte finish helmets...they also don't wear overly gloss helmets like what is the trend with many helmets today. What they wear are REGULAR helmets like those worn many years ago. Its easy to forget that because of the changes that have occurred in the recent years. I personally don't mind some of the gloss helmets that are being utilized with some of the NFL team but I don't want to ever see certain teams (like the Bears) ever utilizing those types of helmets. There is something to be said about tradition.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss just regular helmet finishes. Both the matte and the metallic flake looks have gone a little overboard.

to take a page from my old college art teacher...just because you CAN do it, it doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

This is my attitude towards matte helmets in general.

And Oregon's obsession with three different kinds of grey/silver and volt.

I have said several times that matte helmets can't be worn more than once without looking like crap. I seem to remember VT's black helmets last year looking scuffed to hell by the 4th quarter. I have seen plastics (toys and computers off the top of my head) with a similar finish to the matte helmets and those plastics mark up very easily and show every nick. The Chicago Bears have been wearing these helmets for a month and already they are all marked up. The Bears and Steelers helmets always look all marked up, but I haven't noticed it on teams with glossy helmets. Gloss hide marks better than non-shiny ones. I can't imagine matte helmets wouldn't be worse than those helmets.

Also, this is really the first year of matte being a huge trend. We will see how this goes, but as far as I know all previous matte helmets have been worn only once. I don't know if any of the planned matte helmets this year will be worn more than once, but if they are, I guess we will see if the helmets look like crap after the first wearing.

The Bears don't wear matte finish helmets...they also don't wear overly gloss helmets like what is the trend with many helmets today. What they wear are REGULAR helmets like those worn many years ago. Its easy to forget that because of the changes that have occurred in the recent years. I personally don't mind some of the gloss helmets that are being utilized with some of the NFL team but I don't want to ever see certain teams (like the Bears) ever utilizing those types of helmets. There is something to be said about tradition.

I know that the Bears don't use matte helmets. They (along with the Steelers) use normal helmets, as opposed to the to a team like the Falcons whose helmets are very shiny. I wasn't even addressing the teams which use sparkle helmets. I suppose you could have misinterpreted when I said the Bears have used "these helmets", but I meant that they have been practicing and playing in this set of helmets (which is the same as the previous set) for about a month now and they are already scratched up. I can't imagine teams which do use matte helmets wouldn't look much worse than the Bears by now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived