St. Louis Cardinals wearing 1985 uniforms at home tonight

illini1

Just out of curiousity, what to the BFIB think about the sacred "birds on a bat" being used on pullover softball jerseys and light blue roads?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just out of curiousity, what to the BFIB think about the sacred "birds on a bat" being used on pullover softball jerseys and light blue roads?

I've always thought the greatest thing about the Cardinals identity has been its ability to shift and evolve with the times while keeping it's heritage. So the pullover era isn't anything I find embarrassing.

I actually thought a perfect illustration of that was the Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms where the birds went robotic and all, but they were still there in the same manner. It kept the tradition, but they were willing to have fun with it, too.

i like how its the same jersey basically....just a pullover

Yeah it's just like the jersey they wear now. The only differences are it's a pullover, it has striping around the neck & sleeves and the Birds on the Bat logo is different. (rolls eyes)

I've always thought the greatest thing about the Cardinals identity has been its ability to shift and evolve with the times while keeping it's heritage. So the pullover era isn't anything I find embarrassing.

I actually thought a perfect illustration of that was the Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms where the birds went robotic and all, but they were still there in the same manner. It kept the tradition, but they were willing to have fun with it, too.

I'm sort of with you on the TATC jerseys, but if you think about it, why would there ever be robotic birds, even in the future? Still was a cool concept though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing pullover jerseys worn tight, but it seems that when majestic makes pullover throwbacks they actually make them baggier than normal jerseys. I'm not saying that all players should be forced to wear tight jerseys when wearing pullover throwbacks, because there will almost certainly be players who will object, but I think a happy medium between baggy and tight would be great.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing pullover jerseys worn tight, but it seems that when majestic makes pullover throwbacks they actually make them baggier than normal jerseys. I'm not saying that all players should be forced to wear tight jerseys when wearing pullover throwbacks, because there will almost certainly be players who will object, but I think a happy medium between baggy and tight would be great.

in other words, just like on a normal gameday

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's one thing for Majestic to make baggy uniforms, it's another thing to consistently on the pullovers put the name/wordmark too low on the jersey and to get the sleeve striping thickness wrong.

Majestic makes the throwback pullovers one size bigger than the normal button-ups. Can't say why, but they do. I've seen the pullovers in person in multiple cases and they are always one size too big from their label.

Strangely, the Jays powder throwbacks that were worn regularly the last few seasons were sized correctly.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It would've been nice if the Cardinals had never gone to pullovers, but remember that they played in an astroturfed concrete donut when they worse them. They were, like STL Fanatic said, staying with the times. I mean, pretty much everyone but the Dodgers and Yankees went to pullovers. Seemed like a good idea at the time. How were they supposed to know all three of those trends would be collectively barfed out of baseball by the early '90s?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It would've been nice if the Cardinals had never gone to pullovers, but remember that they played in an astroturfed concrete donut when they worse them. They were, like STL Fanatic said, staying with the times. I mean, pretty much everyone but the Dodgers and Yankees went to pullovers. Seemed like a good idea at the time. How were they supposed to know all three of those trends would be collectively barfed out of baseball by the early '90s?

Phillies never went to pullovers, though they did make radical changes for their move to their concrete octorad.

Can't think of any other artifical turf cookie cutter stadium team that didn't, unless Olympic Stadium in MTL counts as one of the cookie cutters.

Padres didn't, but their park at least had traditional grass.

Phillies never went to pullovers, though they did make radical changes for their move to their concrete octorad.

Can't think of any other artifical turf cookie cutter stadium team that didn't, unless Olympic Stadium in MTL counts as one of the cookie cutters.

Padres didn't, but their park at least had traditional grass.

Padres had pullovers. Or did you mean something else?

Archived